Fishing In Oldham?

D

Dave Clarke

Ive just moved to derker area of Oldham and havent found anywhere nearby to fish.. if anybody can suggest any local waters then they would make me a rather happy fella
Cheers folks

P

Phil Hackett

David
Have a look at, “In Your Swim” (top of the page) then click on Clubs.
Diggle Anglers have some quite good waters not that far from where you live.
Many of which are upland waters and cold, very cold at this time of year. Good winter gear (cloths) is/are needed to tackle many of these waters.

I don’t know whether you are use to fishing deep waters, reservoirs, small dams, etc, but it’s a skill I think you are going to have to learn, as much of the fishing in your area is this type.

I suggest that you have a look at this map web site www.multimap.com/ for waters in your area and then make inquiries about who controls them in the local tackle shops.

D

Dave Clarke

Cheers Phil, looks like my nearest water is so tiny i could spit across it lol. I looked at the in your swim bit but it only put up one place within 25k of here and i'm certain there has to be more....
As for the tackle shops its just a case of actually tracking em down without getting lost. I'm sure i'll find em tho...
Thanx again for the advice m8

T

Tony Wainwright (Twainy)

Dave persevere mate. I moved to Burnley last year and most of my info came from tackle shops. If you dont know where they are give them a ring and they will help you out.

T

Terry Comerford

Dave, try these,
Alexandra Park Oldham, 0161 628 3211.
Redbrook Reservoir Sadleworth Oldham, 01457 875993.
Black Moss Reservoir Oldham, 01606 723800.
Tanners Dam Sadleworth Oldham, 01457 875818.
Bradford Reservoir Bolton, 01204 393726.
Brun Clough Reservoir Oldham, 01457 875500.
Castleshaw Reservoir Oldham, 01925 234000.
Huddersfield Canal Diggle Oldham,01457 875500.
River Tame Greenfield Oldham 01457 875818.

D

Dave Clarke

Cheers Terry your a star m8 ! Now to do some dialling round to get more info, looking forward to trying the river Tame , im sure thats the same river i started on as a kid in Ashton and Dukinfield. Hope its as fun as it used to be..
As to moving south , i tried it once but the folk in Plymouth were just too laid back for me lol

T

The Monk

Plymouths nice Dave, lovely part of England, sorry it didnt work out mate.

I've spent around 30 plus years fishing around Oldham and its bloody hard work, on some of the waters I've lived on the banks for weeks. The trouble with the pennine waters is the quality, mosts are fed by peat bog run off so are acidic, not very rich in nutrients hench low growth rate factors and not very prolific.

You can however head for the Ribble, or jump on the M62 for the Yorkshire rivers, both are in easy reach, the Cheshire meres are also on your doorstep, I would put your name down for a Prince Albert card.

T

The Monk

Take no notice of my mate Phil, he's a psyco and fishes the Oldham reses Winter!

P

Phil Hackett

I'm a phyco am I Monk? Watch for the knife coming through you bivvy and the screechy music next time you out!
And who was it who wrote an article about carping in the winter just before Chrismas then????????????

P

Phil Hatton

Dave,you're my hero,I lived in Derker for a while once and unless it's changed dramatically it's as rough as a bears arse.Move to South M/C mate,we're more civilized and the fishing's better.

The Tame's fishing well last I heard and you're not too far from Rhodes Lodges in Middleton,three or four good waters there,a nice range of fishing for a day-ticket venue.Forget joining P Albert,they're a right bunch of elitist b%&*&^%$"?$ s,join Lymm mate 'half our waters are within an hour of you and we're nicer people.

M

mrpea pearcey

a few good spots around,depends on what your after.the rochdale canal behind the boat and horses at chadderton is nice with roach,perch,bream,tench and pike.a good spot is at hollingworth lake,littlebrough,large head of bream,roach,perch and some good pike.a nice decent fishery is at pilsworth,nr birch services,most fish and some big carp to be had.

D

Dave Clarke

Thanks everybody i got a fair few places to check out now, as for Lymm I used to be a member of sorts many years ago. I was at a boarding school just outside Lymm village and spent most of my weekends fishing Lymm dam without catching a thing lol. everyone else could catch left right and centre tho.... maybe the fish knew it was me...

T

The Monk

Last time you took me fishing on the Oldham peat bogs Mr Hackett I nearly died of hyperthermia, give me Sale water park in the Ice and snow any day?

P

Phil Hackett

Ah! They used to breed em’ tough in Woodhouses in my days as lad Monk. -10c short pants, shirtsleeves and the ubiquitous wellies footwear. A lot softer from Rhodes Village…Clearly!

Dave I’m intrigued? Boarding School at Lymm and living in Dekker?

As to the cheeky sod who said PA is elitist, now’t elitist about me mate, rough as bears a*** and I’ve be in the Albert 30 years.

D

Dave Clarke

aye well boarding school wasnt by choice lol, more like it was only way they could be sure i went to class lol.The school is actually in a village called Thelwall , on Lymm Rd, if i remember aright its called 'Chaigeley residential school for the maladjusted'.... does that make me rougher than a bears butt? maybe i'll fit right in in derker.....seocnd thoughts maybe not :(
only been here two week when some toerag knicked me car and trashed it...

P

Phil Hatton

Phil,bit sensitive for a Woodhouses lad aren't we.

Does Crime Lake or Bardsley Brew ring any bells

D

Dave Clarke

i aint fished bardsley brew for years, back then there was a certain pike that a fair few folk were trying to get, till a bunch of young hooligans came along, foul-hooked it and kicked it to pieces on the bank :(
never bothered after that...yon pike was my main reason for fishing there

P

Phil Hackett

I ran ragged a***d and wellie shod around those areas most, if not all my childhood Phil.
Learnt how to fish on Crime Lake, Bardsley Canal and the farm ponds around the village as well!

T

The Monk

Barsley canal, some fond memories of golden tench fishing using flat floats, further up thye valley, the droylesden canal, once home to some big perch behind the lum ? mill