Collingham - Cromwell Weir

F

Fred Bonney

In the absence of Ron Clay for guidance,I am going to try this stretch during the week,on my own,unless anybody else is interested in joining me.But,never having fished a tidal river, or indeed a river of this size,I do need some help.
Any suggestions please, on methods and any help on tide times would be appreciated.
I have a Fox Kevlar Barbel and a Shimano 4010,for starters.

daren heslop

Reaction score
Ill be fishing on the a1 stretch tues or wed fred.At least 10lb mainline and hooklength fred.I use a method feeder but whatever u use if its carrying a bit of water youll need plenty of weight to hold bottom.4-5oz.Ive had some good fish this year on meat pellets and boilies.To be honest it hasnt seemed to matter what ive had on the hook.If they are in front of u and conditions are ok.....Hang on.I use the fox barbel plus and these fish carry on like its a cannal match rod.

Matt Brown

Reaction score
I fished for Barbel at Collingham today. 1pm to 7pm. No bites, although it's only the 2nd time I've fished the place.

The river was up enough that the rushes that normally mark the edge of the river were 25ft from the edge. In fact the river rose 6" between 1pm and 3pm, then stayed level.

I loast a few leads while trying to retrieve my tackle over the normal bank. In the event of hooking a fish I intended to wade into the water to reduce the chances of it snagging me.

4oz Grippa leads just held bottom.

Any tips on fish location would help me too.

daren heslop

Reaction score
Hi,matt like i said earlier ive been on the a1 stretch which has just changed hands and is now ?4 a day .I ve filled my boots and its time 4 me to move on.Chuck a feeder over to the barge ,its that simple.Loads of rubbish all over though.

Matt Brown

Reaction score
Hi Daren,

Is that the bit with 6 or so pegs that you access through Cromwell village?

I can't wait for next season - to fish the river at somewhere near normal level.

F

Fred Bonney

Dave,see Venue Reports,I couldn't find my way to the river,mainly because my car is not suitable for the tracks,so I found the A1 stretch with the help of Daren.
So next season,I'll have another go.
The Trent doesn't look as daunting as I expected so,some exploration to be done during the close season.
Then whatch out Barbel,the Upper Great Ouse blanker is on his way!