Breaking News: Fish and pain

P

Phil Hackett

OK guys breaking news - BBC Northwest Tonight ran a story on this subject interview Dr. Sneddon who said what’s reported on here. Also interviewed Matin James.

Five minute slot stressing the pain angle.

However, what they failed to point out was the fact that Prof Rose issued his report some months ago. In fact they made no reference to any other report at all.

Now this is bias, the BBBC has a legal obligation to be even-handed with its reporting.

It didn’t do this, therefore it’s showing bias to one point of view.

It at the time of Rose’s report failed to report this report at all - Bias again!

I’ve already been on the phone and complained to them about it, so could others do so ASAP.

The No is 0161 200 2020 ask for the Newsdesk for TV.

I’m going to make a formal complaint to the Brodcasting Standards Authority over this blatant bias reporting.

S

Sean Meeghan

There was also a long slot on GMTV this morning. Oh dear there goes my street cred. But seriously, the female presenter who is a vegetarian went on at some length about it and there was no serious counter argument presented.

P

Peter Morton

ITV teletext are running a vote at the moment on page 347 should fishing be banned. Apparently animal rights campaigners have new research that suggests fish feel pain. Text 8899 with the response 'Teletext no' to register your vote.

You can also phone in your vote and calls will cost no more that 12p

To vote NOT TO ban angling telephone: 0901 4701033

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
From David Stocker, Countryside Alliance Media Relations Manager, N-W England & W.Midlands:

"The Times newspaper is requesting letters on whether angling should be banned. Usual format is not more than 150 words. Letters to be sent to debate@thetimes.co.uk. Circulate this widely if you think it to be worthwhile."

M

Mark Birchall

I watched the news last night and the report said that they had injected trout with BEE VENOM or sting, SORRY but im sure if you inject any animal with been venom then it will hurt. Why don't they do the same to a dog or cat. Don't get me wrong im a dog /cat lover but when will this type of stuff STOP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

D

david parker

For me the issue has always been more to do with the opportunity cost of us not fishing. I rationlise it in my mind by saying 1] not all fish get caught, so in a population on an average river or lake, there is as good a chance Mr Roach WON'T get hooked as there is he will. Maybe the odds are even better in the fish's favour? 2] The environment and ecology fish species thrive on benefit not only fish but other aquamarine and mammal life. Quite whether these environments would be maintained as well as they are now or allowed to drift into rack and ruin with fishing banned is a point worth debating. I reckon it wouldn't take long for most ponds and rivers to become rubbish tips.

So even if fish do feel pain, to be utilitarian about it, one might as well settle for some if it reduces the chances of greater misery for greater numbers of fish and other species, too.

D

Danny Lancaster

Why do they use Bee Stings and other poisons? If the experiments were to investigate physical pain, why not put a hook in their lip and monitor reactions, rather than something which would probably start to have effects on other organs within the fish ie. its heart. Surely injecting a fish with poison cannot give the "scientist" an accurate result??

S

Simon Bainbridge

In my opinion, this point can NEVER be conclusively proved one way or the other. I reckon that if a hooked fish was in serious pain, why on gods green earth would it bolt like hell in the opposite direction, it just doesn't make sense does it? I know that this analogy is not scientific but, common sensical it is.

D

david parker

I kind of see what you mean Simon. But I think there are probably lots of instances where an animal in pain would 'take flight'. If you shot a tranquiliser dart into a Rhino, for example, I doubt if it would simply carry on munching grass. In most cases where I've seen tranqs used in nature documentaries the animals run off!

D

david parker

And the problem, imho, with taking up a position whereby the issue of whether fish feel pain or not is deemed unprovable is that science has an irritating knack of coming up with something conclusive just when you least expect it. And where would we be left then? I think we need other counter arguments in the eventuality that it MIGHT be proven. We need to have other arguments up our sleeves!