How many rivers?

Chris Hammond

Reaction score
Hi All,

Does anybody know exactly how many officially classified rivers there are in England? And where could I find a complete list of names?

Regards Chris.

D

Davy North

I'm not sure definitely more than Severn.

Sorry, I'll go and hang my head in shame.

D

Dave Silvers

Hi Chris, I'm not sure from your question whether your looking for an answer to your son's geography homework or looking for information on rivers to fish:O))
If it's the latter try www.where-to-fish.com
if it's the former, sorry I was was crap at geography

C

Chris Bishop

Chris how are you defining river our of interest, there are so many brooks, streams etc - not to mention the Fen drains which are man-made rivers (sort of...).

Is the Old Nene a separate river to the, err, new Nene, for example.

Talking of which - slight tangent here - got a copy of Dave Phillips's book on the Nene the other week, fantastic read.

The blurb suggests it's part of a series but I've never seen any others like it.

P

Phil Hackett

Bob, no it must be four The Ribble, Severn and the two you mentioned. Some old guy keeps going on about something called the Trent but I think its a cricket ground really!

Hi Ron! :)

P

Phil Hackett

Chris if your son really wants to impress his geography teacher he could try this - Lake Baikal, Siberia, Russsia has 5000 rivers entering it and only one leaving it.

Oh dear, it’s time for the smartarse suppressant medicine again my wife says!

Chris Hammond

Reaction score
Hi All,

Cheers for the replies lads, I've taken Richards advice and e-mailed the E.A. Hopefully they'll be able to tell me.

Regards Chris