Stillwater float fishing.

metta

Reaction score
I have gave up on the pole I think now. Moving onto rod and reel so I was wondering whats the best float setup. What line do you usually use for coarse fishing with a float? Do you simply put float on and Shot it either side and weight it down enough?

Ultra Quick Change Pro-Link Float Adaptors with Swivel Pack of 4

Or these any good? Just I may get some and do you shot the same way you would with a float?

Cheers.

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
Line depends on what fish you are targeting

Shotting depends on how you want to fish - spread out to give a nice drop so fish can take the bait on the way down or with some bulked near the bottom to the bait sink quicker

What flaot - a waggler needs shot either size (usualy the bulk of the shot) of the float - a stick float - shot can be anywhere

Float adaptors - a good way to change your float without breaking down your line set up

also the size of the float needs thining about - on windy day a longer float will be better for not driftign with the wind

metta

Reaction score
Line depends on what fish you are targeting

Shotting depends on how you want to fish - spread out to give a nice drop so fish can take the bait on the way down or with some bulked near the bottom to the bait sink quicker

What flaot - a waggler needs shot either size (usualy the bulk of the shot) of the float - a stick float - shot can be anywhere

Float adaptors - a good way to change your float without breaking down your line set up

also the size of the float needs thining about - on windy day a longer float will be better for not driftign with the wind

Thanks for that, say my float was 5BB would I put 5BB's or make a nice like line of smaller shots? with maybee bulk shot on the float

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
Depends on how you want to fish

2 BB shots either side of the float to lock it in place and then small shot evenly down the line (called shirt button style) will give you a slow drop and fish can take the bait "on the drop" as it falls through the water - this will often mean smaller fish will be caught

If you put 2 BB shot either side of the float to lock it and then the raining shot in say size 4 or 6 in bulk nearer the hook your bait will fall quickly to the bottom and this might get you bigger fish carp or tench.

For either of the above you need to place a small (size 8 or 10) shot about 4 - 6 inch (sometimes further away) from the hook.

The above is only for waggler float - stick floats will have all the shot below the float

Sometime you might wish to fish "over depth" then the last shot is on the bottom to combat drift.

Try looking up the "Beginner guide to fishing" on FM somewhere - Mark Wintle does a series and I'm sure it covers all need to know but feel free to ask more.

These are very basic guides and will get you started.

metta

Reaction score
Ok mate, thanks for that and a stick float is put on with rubbers?

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
That's right - you need small rubber rings - sold in tackle shops - I use 3 per stick float, 1 on the top of the float, 1 where the base of the float's body joins the stem and one near the bottom of the stem.

For still waters I'd use waggler floats for most of my fishing - I use a stick type when float fishing for carp in the margins and that's because it's easy to adjust the depth quickly and don't require casting far - in fact you can use pole floats for this.

For still water floats there are plenty of different types, clear body, peacock quill, loaded floats, pellet wagglers, it's worth buying a few different types and sizes.

If you are using a 5BB and landing your float in your baited area and a wind gets up that blowing in your face you may find casting to your baited area difficult, using a float adaptor and changing to a heavier float (5AAA) you will be able to cast to your baited area

metta

Reaction score
ah right, thanks alot mate. Isn't 5AAA very heavy tho? Also, I need to get fishing again just its been to cold and frosty most of the ponds have been frozen over.

Keith M

Reaction score
For still waters: This how I normally shot my waggler when I need to cast tight up to lillies or islands or tight to other obstructions or fishing tight against the far bank or casting at a distance etc. Using a straight waggler or a bodied waggler (preferably one which is loaded) and with your line sunk to combat any surface drag.

If you are fishing tight up against the lilies or far bank etc. You want your float to fly and land ahead of your hooklength with your hooklength trailing behind the float this will make it much easer to cast right up tight against obstructions.
Try not to feather your line as it flies through the air & lands as this will cause your hooklength to fly ahead of your float and tangle on the obstruction.

NB. Placing your bulk shot around the base of your float will also enable you to cast the float much further instead of splitting your bulk shot away from the float; it also seems to reduce tangles as it flies through the air.
Also Because the next shot below the float is at just under half depth you can still fish a slow sinking bait if required.

ShottingPatternsForShallowishWater.GIF

The following diagram shows how I usually modify my shotting if the wind and surface drag becomes a problem.

ShottingPatternsForWind.gif

Last edited:

the indifferent crucian

Reaction score
The great thing about those quick change float rubbers...the unweighted ones that is...is that you can fish all your shot down the line and not use any to retain the float, thus reducing tangle and increasing casting accuracy too. Plus of course you can change floats without tackling down.

Nevertheless weighted floats can be great too, provided you feather the cast just before it hits the water, with your finger, and let the hook get in front of the float.

I particularly enjoy casting to the far bank, where a swim might be impossible to fish from that side, with a fully-weighted float and an underarm cast. The number of fish that I have found holed up in these inaccesable spots is extraordinary. With a bit of practice you can cast really tight to the weeds this way and your bait swings down underneath to land right at the edge too.