Closed Season Debate

Bob Roberts

Reaction score
As promised, I hereby declare the CS debate open with a salutory little tale - absolutely true - it happened on a Yorkshire River this morning:

Opening Day Madness
I received an email on opening day from a mate who was not exactly experiencing a glorious sixteenth. In fact he’d packed up in disgust at the antics of someone who called himself an angler. Paul had arrived at Thornton Bridge on the Swale in the half-light of dawn and quietly tucked himself into the vegetation in the hope of fooling one of the big barbel known to live on that stretch.
Catching big barbel is often a waiting game and while he sat there, patiently willing his rod tip to arch over, he heard two more anglers arrive and set up above him, oblivious to the fact he was there.
Eventually Paul decided to have a recast and the process of recovering his feeder alerted the angler above that someone was fishing below. “Oi,” shouts the guy, “You’re fishing my swim. Clear off!” Actually that’s not an accurate transcript of what was said but I guess you can work that out.
When Paul suggested he’d been there long before the other chap and that it was actually his swim things turned decidedly ugly. Through the undergrowth crashed this Neanderthal, dragging his knuckles on the floor and clearly intent on carrying out some delicate negotiations that didn’t exactly include moving or apologising. With Neanderthal number two assuming the rear gunner position Paul decided discretion was the better part of valour and packed up.
What a waste of a day’s holiday, he wailed, but on the other hand he’s still in one piece.
I’m sure things like this wouldn’t happen if we did away with the closed season.

PS: Spoke to dear old Ron Clay this afternoon somewhere in the darkest fens - only thing he'd caught today was heat stroke.

Nigel Botherway tells me he drove 250 miles without wetting a line due to low water conditions, algae and lack of oxygen in the Avon. He thought that to fish would be irresponsible (well done that man).

Just how glorious is this 16th then?

Glad I went to work, really.

T

Terry York

My son had a similar experience on the Dane to-day but without the agro.
Chap came crashing down the bank despite knowing that someone was fishing just a few yards away.Up to that point he had five nice chub,only sunstroke afterwards.
I also had five chub including a p/b of 4lb.(no sign of the barbel)

D

Dave Slater

You always get things like this happening at the beginning of the season. Even though I stick to quiet stretches it still happens to an extent. The plus side is everything looking so fresh and green. The stretch of the Stour I fished looked wonderful. One of my local clubs closed one of their pits for the last two months of this close season, the pit is usually fished all yar round. Although I do not fish the pit until the winter I sometimes have a walk round it as it is very near to my home. The vegetation has grown and the pit looks much better, totally refreshed. It looks very diferenet to the way it looks most years.

D

Dave Slater

By the way Bob the Avon has been looking very nice for the past few weeks, assuming you mean the Hampshire Avon. Your mate must have been unlucky with his choice of venue. Some stretches look as you described but most look fine. The problem with the Avon is that you can't fish a lot of it until a bit later in the season so it is not always easy to find an alternative stretch if you are limited to only one club or day tickets. I will, hopefully, be on the Avon this evening. I haven't looked at the stretch I have in mind yet but if it is like the stretch your mate went to I will go elsewhere, as I know a couple of other stretches looked good this weekend.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Bob,
I feel sorry for your friend, however, I would not want to loose the closed season on account of the those from the "lunatic fringe"
In fact if you take that argument to its logical conclusion then people like your friend would simply have to experience that more times during in a 12 month season (?)

Personally, for me yesterday was "glorious" arriving at the River not long after dawn with the mist still rising from the water.
I had a lovely day with 3 Chub from 1 1/2 to 5 1/2 and a mass of dace and a few Roach.
The bankside has had a great chance to recover and everything was so fresh and green.
It was indeed, most glorious!

daren heslop

Reaction score
I fished the trent.Couldnt believe the amount of anglers there.Over a mile of bank with every swim full by 5 pm on sun.I had this stretch to my self in jan feb, where do they all disapear to.The amount of bait going in was imense.A carp angler put in at least 5 kilo of boilies for a 1 nighter just down from me.
I trickled some bait in and had 2 barbel a 9.14 and a 8 but on the whole very few barbel hit the bank.
I definitely wont be doing it next year,not just because of the crowds but the second fish gave its all and took a long time to recover.To such a exstent i had to strip of and wade in to get it in some oxigenated water.

Bob Roberts

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies so far. I recounted the first tale because it is sypmptomatic of how many 'anglers' behave when they've had an enforced lay-off.

The crowds are another consequence and one of the reasons I don't fish on opening day any more.

Great barbel and good on yer for going in to rescue it. How many other specimens turned belly up, I wonder?

I face a bit of a dilema when it comes to summer barbel. We all know where they are stacked up and fishing the gravels is a bit like shooting them in a bucket - made worse by the fact that they are recovering from spawning and prone to feed heavily to replace protein. Fighting to the death is a realistic possibility.

I'd far sooner fish March 16th than June 16th - especially for chub and barbel.

The concept of season species specific closed seasons is not a new concept - remember when pike fishing started on October 1st? Remember when the Broads opened for Easter? When Yorkshire rivers opened on June 1st? And what about trout and salmon?

Closing the river coarse season at midnight on March 14th is completely stupid.

Opening the whole of the river system on June 16th is equally stupid. Fish recovering from spawning need protection so why not shut half a mile below every weir until July 1st at the very least?

Are we protecting fish or are we protecting a 93-day closed season? There's a world of difference.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
As a 66 Year old I think I've heard every argument thats ever been put forward both for and against a close season. I don't think theres a solution that would suit every angler. If there was no close season on rivers and they were managed responsibly then weather conditions spawning etc would benefit the fish and the angler but maybe thats a pipe dream

L

Lee Fletcher

Dear Bob, and All,

Examples of thugery (is that the right descriptive?)at the waters edge, is not restricted to June the 16th either on rivers or still waters. Such occurrences can and do happen at any time of the year. Indeed, such behaviour is common place in almost any walk of life where human being's congregate at some time or another. Whilst such incidences are regrettable, where ever they occur, surely this cannot realistically form the basis of any argument in favour of scrapping the rivers close season?

What about the fish spawning argument in favour of retaining the close season on rivers? Scientific fact surely proves this to be a nonsense seeing as many rivers see their own particular species mostly spawning "within" the boundaries of the "open" season.

Then there is the argument of habitat restoration within the confines of the rivers close season. Well, as it?s apparently recognised that the humble dog walker inflicts more damage/disturbance on the rivers marginal habitat than anglers ever do, is it therefore reasonable to claim that angler?s absence from the river banks in the close season enhances river habitat restoration? When other riverside users continue to infringe the rivers habitat's natural rejuvenation whilst anglers abstain in the close season?

In fairness to my own stance, I am pro retaining the rivers close season. This stance could be construed as a moral one which of course, would be near the mark. However, I have become increasingly aware that the foundations for my moral stances might not hold up when stacked against realistic fact or scientific scrutiny. And more alarmingly, if caring river anglers really do want to preserve their chosen fish species, and the environments in which they live, environments in which we all fish, would we not want to find the best possible solution to all our concerns?

Imagine for a moment if all course fishing angling clubs had their own "river keepers". And that these river keepers were responsible for the cordoning off of known spawning areas for the durations of fish spawning activity within their own geographical areas or river "beats"? (Same fish species spawn at different times of the year dependant on local climes) Then say these same river keepers created wildlife and habitat "corridors" on their beats also so that anglers could still fish within them under advice given, but the walking public who don?t fish (or pay like anglers do) could be encouraged to keep out of these corridors in favour of river habitat restoration. This would not be that hard to convince none anglers of the benefits because the vast majority of river walkers appreciate the value of such endeavours.

If all this could be realised, we would have river habitats preserved in a better way than they are being presently, and the spawning activities of all fish species would truly be protected whilst presently under this system, they are truly not.

Now many say that such a thing is unachievable. I say why not? All we need is a willingness to move forward together in determined efforts to get this right. If we did, something of true beauty could emerge and be allowed to flower. Or, we could continue as we are doing grasping this nettle which does not truly protect or preserve the watery places we all cherish in the way we would all like.

Regards,

Lee.

K

Keith Banks

Dear Bob and all.

Some good points, but one that never seems to get a mention is fishing for spawn laden fish and publicising these captures or writing about them in either the angling press or in books. Or worse still putting them forward for prizes or even records.

How many times have we read, before the stillwater close season was abolished, that a cold late Spring would result in heavier tench.

I for one have many books and old and not so old magazine articles and have read many articles recently that gives the idea that it is OK to fish for spawn laden fish.

We must not give credence to these anglers.

I feel we cannot trust so many of these ( catch the heaviest fish at all costs) anglers, but if we can get some form of tide rolling, against articles, prizes given etc to these people, we shall slowly move forward, to run fisheries as we want,
for the long term good.

Good fishing to you all.

Keith.

DAVE COOPER

Reaction score
Lee, your dream could realised. It is possible. Anything reasonable is possible.

BUT. Do you really want to put coarse fishing on a par with exclusive trout streams? Because that is what it would cost. Club tickets that you pay less than ?50 for, in most instances considerably less , would increase ten fold and put the sport out of reach of the majority.

What you are talking about would cost serious money. It cannot be achieved by good the good intentions of the few.

For my own view I would abolish the close season for a limited number of seasons and then review the impact. I no longer believe that anglers would do any serious harm to spawning fish, with the possible exception of barbel on some small rivers, certainly not all.

Unfortunately this fish has coloured our views of the majority of species and causes the most emotive reaction. No-one bothers too much with the dear old perch that pops up in February and March with it's belly full of spawn. Even the tench that has had a mention doesn't seem to have faired badly despite the fact it rarely spawns within the confines of the close season.

If we think we are protecting fish by having a close season I seriously doubt we are. Just abolish it for a few years and see what happens so we can rejudge in the light of cold facts.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Bob, the concept of a species specific closed season is, as you so rightly say, not a new one. However it is one with which I have some serious doubts and criticism. Given the quality of your average angler how on earth do you think that the majority will be able to fish a River and target (in a guaranteed manner) one of the species that it would be "legal" to catch in a given period?

I also find the argument to open the Rivers all year for a few years and see the results, as rather careless and not well thought through. Imagine the damage in natural, political and real terms if you are wrong?

The "political" points also have to be taken into account. One of the finest argument we have to counter the "antis" is the closed season.
Now, imagine the bad "press" we would receive if we abolished it?

I would not argue the scientific points raised as they relatively conclusive. Notwithstanding however, that which we currently have is the best practical solution, in my humble opinion, to a "unsolvable" problem.

D

Dave Rothery

i wish, in a way that we could go back to a close season - not for any of the spawning reasons as thats weather controlled, and whenever you had it you could have an early or late spawn. its more the fact that you dont get that excited rush around after a lay off- i'm already, well not exactly jaded, but i havent got that anticipation at the moment. also, i think the banks need a rest - maybe over the winter when all the damage is done? - and a chance for work to be carried out.
part of the problem (with commercial stillwaters) is that its all big business these days, and who can blame them for not wanting to shut. its just unfortunate i live in an area full of commercial holidaymaker waters and no decent club waters. anyone know of a decent syndicate carp lake in devon...........?

D

Dave Slater

Dave, I fully agree with your points about the anticipation and resting the banks. Bob, I am rethinking my views all the time on the close season. I always go on June 16th, it is a ritual. Like you I am becomming increasingly disillusioned with the great day and will not be taking it off next season. I hate fishing at this time of the year, but I would still like a close season at some time to give things a rest. My personal choice for a three month lay off would be, light the blue touchpaper, June to August inclusive. The early part of this period would give the fish a rest after spawning. The oxygen levels are at their lowest during these three months, which cannot be good for the fish. Fish in rivers are at their best in the autumn and winter. Also there is not so much disturbace from kids, holidaymakers, canoes etc. when the weather is not so hot. I would be quite happy to fish from September to May inclusive.

D

Dave Rothery

Most of the fishing cack over the summer anyway! except the early morning tench.....

D

Dave Rothery

lets face it, the close seasons never coming back. its down to the clubs to enforce one, and they are mostly (on the face of it!) democratic organisations (how naive was that!), so if enough members vote for one at a different time of the year, the club will do it. problem is that most people are so apathetic when it comes to things like that.

Bob Roberts

Reaction score
So far it seems like we are defending the close season itself rather than the fish. I'm sure when the likes of Ron return from holiday there will be other viewpoints.

What is the point of allowing the riverbank to regenerate if someone comes along on June 16th and thrashes it all down with a bank stick, or worse - brings a petrol strimmer to make room for a semi-detached bivvy?

Anglers seldom destroy vegetation on rivers in between pegs and surely it's better to have recognised swims with pruned vegetation rather than willy-nilly decimation?

As for disturbing wildlife there's plenty of both on commercial waters yet everything seems to get along well enough.

D

Dave Slater

Bob, purely from a fish welfare point of view I think it would be a good idea to have a close season, but not the current one. You touched on the point of low oxygen levels etc. when you started this thread. I agree, as I stated earlier. I think we should give the fish a little time to recover from spawning and not stress them too much when the water has low oxygen levels. Personally I feel that we should have a close season in the summer months. It need not necessarilly be for three months, but I think we should have one. The fish are in much better condition from autumn onwards and the fishing is usually better.

DAVE COOPER

Reaction score
Peters comment about the possible irrepairable damage that could be done by lifting the ban for a few seasons is, in my opinion, weak.

The precedent is clearly there for the potential for very limited or indeed no effect on the rivers as there is no evidence to suggest that stillwaters have suffered. Why should it be any different on rivers where the angling pressure is by and large a lot less?

I really think we have been conditioned by the anti's to think on the defensive rather than on what's positive and best for us. We always seem to be aiming to please someone else.

Science and experience, that's what I want to judge by, not emotion or fear. Let's give it a try and let experience tell us what's right, not an antiquated rule that has been in place for the best part of a century.

Bob Roberts

Reaction score
I think you both make good points. Here are the main questions as I see it so far:

How long should the closed season be? Why 93 days?

When should it start and finish on rivers?

Throwing in an extra point, I am happy that the closed season on stillwaters remains optional because lakes and ponds are pretty constant in terms of levels, temperature and oxygen levels. By that, I mean the changes are slower than on rivers that are affected by sudden floods and tendencies for fish to seek oxygenated locations where they become easy prey to opportunists.

Moreover, stillwater fish frequently spawn more than once over quite lengthy periods.