"Friends of the Trent"

R

Ron Clay

I've been toying for some time about the fact that an association could be formed amongst all the genuine Trent enthusiasts in this country.

Let's face it, never has a river had such bad press in the last few years. From comments such as: "The Trent is dead" to "I'll never fish the Trent again, I can't get a bite", the deprication of this river continues.

Yet to us who really understand and appreciate this river, we know different.

Sure the Trent is not the easiest place to fish. Sure the Trent is not really a match anglers river any more.

But it is a river capable of giving the most tremendous sport imaginable. It may take you months, even years for you to understand this great stream, but when you do, and when you tempt that fish, or catch of a lifetime from the river's fickle currents, you will understand what angling is all about.

Yes, I do fancy forming a little association of Trent enthusiasts. There are a few of us who are members of this website, who could start nthe ball rolling.

I don't intend to have an association that is exclusive. Anyone who truly loves this river could join us.

So I invite you now to let me know of your opinions via FISHINGmagic. Do you think a Trent society would be viable?

As I see it, we could have a few informal meeting each year and maybe the odd fish-in where members could share their expertise with others. There are lots of lovely pubs along the valley of the Trent where we could meet.

You don't have to be an out and out specimen hunter, or barbel angler or match angler to join. There are lots of other species in the Trent that are well worth fishing for.

Let me know what you think?

Email me direct if you want.

P

Paul Mallinson

There dosent seem to have been much response to this but let me say that if such a thing ever got off the ground then I would be very interested in joining the group. What would be the aim and format of the club?

R

Ron Clay

Send me an email direct Paul.

I have had some response by this route.

R

Ron Clay

Emails and the odd phone call are starting to come in.

Anyone who is a Trent fanatic, let me know.

The response is very encouraging.

J

John Hepworth

I wish you well Ron in your ambitions for the Trent.
Some years ago we who fished the river Wear in Co Durham set up The River Wear Fisheries Improvement Association. The very first meeting that was called in Durham Town Hall was packed out, and eventually we formed the Association that intended to take in all angling interests on the river, it even included the eel netsman who operated in the area. Unfortunately not everyone wanted to accept that some had differing interests to others and the attendance, and the frequency of the meetings slowly dropped away. It is now over two years since the Association last met although I am trying to keep it going and am currently talking with the E/A, who is keen to help, with a view of re launching the Ass'n with a narrower remit, concentrating on the lower and middle river. Perhaps the original plans were TOO ambitious. As I say the E/A is keen to help in any way it can, and you could even get some initial funding to set the Association away.
Not wanting to take over this thread, I would be happy to hear from any angler with an interest in the river Wear.

R

Ron Clay

Thank goodness, we don't want vermin polluting one of our great rivers!

R

Ron Clay

Can't understand why you regard an overgrown, genetically engineered, lump of lard, that is nothing more than an over- grown goldfish, as a something that is worth catching.

We used to knock them on the head and feed them to the pigs,

And at times the pigs used to vomit because they had too much of the darned things.

Richard Farrow

Reaction score
Not to worry Dave there will soon be thousands of decent Carp in the Trent. According to an article I read a couple of days ago the EA are soon to release several thousand 3 to 5 inch carp into the Trent along with a few hundred in the 5 - 7lb range and a few lumps. Apparently these are fish reared at there own hatchery, I can't remember the name of it but it began with C.
Ron you will need to brush up your Carp fishing as there will soon be plenty of decent carp to fish for as they pack on weight rapidly.

D

Dave Rothery

...and you'll have to buy a bivvy, 3 rods, learn to drink properly.....

Richard Farrow

Reaction score
The idea of stocking carp in the Trent according to the article was to encourage more anglers to river fishing. As carp, being ravenous feeders, will lead to more anglers putting fish on the bank. The EA recognise that this will probably lead to the demise of other species, notably barbel, but again this is considered a wise move as barbel fishing tends to be elitist and carp fishing due to its very nature will not only encourage more carp anglers to rivers like the Trent but will create greater revenue for fishing in its widest sense.

bill kay

Reaction score
dont worry Ron no carp are going into the Trent. E.A said it't too polluted .

B

Bob Hornegold

Ron,
I admire your ambition to form a River Trent Protection society or whatever you may want to call it.
A few years ago we had a River protection Group formed -which has fallen by the wayside.
There are so many rivers in this country that need help-Why just the Trent ?
Bob

R

Ron Clay

It won't be a Trent Protection society as such. Just a group of us who love the river.

And I sgree, other societies who love other rivers could be formed.

How about a Thames Society or a Severn Society. Such organisation became common in the Victorian era, becoming some of the largest clubs, such as The Nottingham Piscatorials etc.