VICTORY!!!!!

J

Jason Lennon

Darlington Borough Council have given in!!!
They are not going to remove the fish stocks, and they are not going to ban fishing at the pond.

YES!!!!!!

There is a turn up for the books!
This was probably due to the media interest in the decision(stoked up by yours truly) and regular emails from me, to the council, containing opinions of anglers on the fishingmagic forums.

I want to thank all of you for your support, I'm sure your opinions were a very useful factor in all of this.

it Just goes to show - "he who dares - wins, rodders!!!"

P

Paul Mallinson

Bloody well done mate, I hope the anties are looking in on this!

J

John Pleasance

Excellent result and quickly achieved too,almost a bl##dy miracle!

D

Dave Slater

Jason,
As I mentioned on your other thread .... congratulations. I bet you feel pretty good about this, and rightly so.

R

Ron Clay

I've bee following this thread and all I can say is very well done Jason - great news.

I

Ian Mascall

Well mate -- What a result eh !!!!! great news ...

Hope your fishing trip tomoorow is a success...but watch the Tees mate...it could rise alot with all todays rain....

Cheers and congrats again

MOOKIE..

P

Phil Hackett

Jason well done mate!
However, being the Council bashing person I am and along with a health distrust of Council Officers, Councillors and Politicians, have they confirmed this in writing to you? If not get them to do it ASAP.

You now need to think about the next stage in your campaign to stop them ever contemplating this course of action again.

One way this can be achieved is to set up a club to manage the fishery. It’s time to be magnanimous in your victory and offer to work in partnership with the council to protect the water it’s wildlife and environment.

Some years ago I was involved with another person (Tom Walker) to get angling back on a lake local to us. We achieved what you did and the water was then taken over by local anglers who fished it, subsequently form themselves into a club to run the lake.
The work that club did on the lake was amazing and the Council (Oldham) who had been very hostile to the idea of angling on the lake, recognised that they were very serious about what they were doing and gave them very good assistance. Supplying materials and such like.

That lake was one of the best managed club/day ticket waters in the Gt. Manchester area.
I say was because early in 2002 a sad tragedy happened and the lake got polluted. Brendan the Bailiff was heartbroken as the lake lost most of its carp and many silver fish as well. To compound the tragedy the club had purchased some large 20lb+ fish a few months earlier at quite a high cost to the club.

I’m not sure how the lake is doing these days since the pollution, as I’ve not been near it since it.
That stated, what the club did is a model of good practice for other to follow when they win such victories as yours.

J

Jason Lennon

Thanks for all your messages of congratulations guys. It's much appreciated - nice to know that I wasn't doing it for nothing.
As I have said on another of my threads, it wasnt about having the bottle to go on telly etc. It was about sticking up for adult anglers who were too afraid to speak out, and sticking up for the kids who would just be ignored if they spoke out.

If any of you have read saturday's Northern Echo, you will know that the council haven't actually given any concrete yes, or no's with regards to the pond. All they have done, is said they wont remove the fish and put up the signs yet, and offered to start up a dialogue between all parties concerned - I suppose it's a step in the right direction.

Dont worry, I will not be complacent, I have never trusted the council, even when they promise you something.
I will be attending the meetings at the council, and I will make sure I do my homework before going. I have plenty of notes that you guys have sent me about the anti's, peta etc..........

Graham Young

Reaction score
Jason, It might be worth your while to read the 'Pollution' threads in the General Forum (if you haven't read it already). The Thread was started by Ashe Hurst who then went on to have a lot of dealings with his local council. Maybe Ashe could give you a few tips on how to handle things!

D

Davy North

Well done Jason, I've been away foe a week so just seen the news. You should be proud of yourself, we need more people in angling who'll stick up for the sport.