float fishing line

J

John Lane

What's the best line for float fishing on rivers? I'm looking for something (obviously) with the lowest diameter for the maximum breaking strain (Around 5lb bs). I've used Super Shinobi in the past and I've seen Smart Genesis advertised which seems to fit the bill. Anyone have an opinion?

John

J

John Pleasance

I'm not a great fan of low diameter lines so I can't reccommend one.Probably Drennan Double strength would do that job,but I'd prefer to use Drennan Float Fish line.

You could also use something like Berkeley Fireline(braid) if you want a really high strength to diameter ratio.

R

Rodney Wrestt

I also use Drennan float fish, it's been mentioned above and in other threads that braid could do the job, just remember to adjust your striking style.

R

Ron Clay

For stick float fishing you can't beat Drennan Float Fish. And that advice was given to me by a few really top class stick float anglers.

G

goff dyer

Daiwa sensor, i find it v/good line for either the float or leger.

P

Phil Heaton

After being told that Drennan Float Fish (a very good line by the way) was the same item as Kamasan Perlon I have tried the Kamasan and been seriously impressed by it. In fact I now use it in 3.2lb with 4lb mainline and 4.4lb with 6lb mainline as hooklength material. I have found it to retain its suppleness, be abraision resistant and knot very well as well as being cheaper than the Drennan.

J

John Lane

Many thanks for the information. I've decided to give the Smart Genesis a try.
I am intigued though by the thought of using braid for float fishing. My experience of braid has been confined to Power-Pro for jerkbait fishing and legering. I find that it tends to bed in a little, so I can't imagine that would be very convenient for running a stick float dowm your swim. Perhaps it would fit the bill on a centrepin. Anyone any experience of using braid for floatfishing on moving water?

John

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
John, I fish rivers quite a bit and I've found Power line line both as a mainline and as a hook length absolutely fine. Its low diameter but its incredibly strong and it does have a bit of stretch as well. I find it better than Shinobi and not so inclined to pigtail. It will handle any chub you might bump into but I would think twice about fishing for barbel with it. If you use a close face as I do for stick float fishing, well, the increased strength/low diameter ratio is great and for waggler fishing it gives the same benefits plus extra casting distance with light floats. Well worth the money (?5 a spool) try it, I think you'll like it

J

John Lane

Thanks Graham. Can I ask what breaking strain Power Pro you use for float fishing?

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Yes John, I use 0.13(4lb 12oz) on my closed face and 0.15(5lb 6oz) on my waggler for main lines. I use 0.11(3lb 6oz) as hooklengths on the stick and the waggler and I'll step that up to 0.15 on the waggler if I need to bully them a bit. I've also got a spool of 0.17(6lb 12oz) which I use with heavier lines (I use berkeley) for the barbel and also on the pool if theres carp about, I've had double figure carp on that. Mind you I have got a very soft Avon 12ft with a thru action, 1.25lb test and its very forgiving

R

Rodney Wrestt

I think ther's a cross line here (pardon the pun), Power Pro is a spectra fibre braided line made by Innovative Textiles and Power line is a Hi tech mono made by Preston Innovations.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Having read back Rodney I can see what you mean, perhaps John has picked this up. John if you're following this, Powerline ain't braid its low diameter mono, ok mate, sorry for the confusion

J

John Lane

Yes Graham I had confused Powerline with Power Pro. I think Rodney mentioned using braid for floatfishing earlier, can I ask him what type and braking strain he's used (or heard of being used)and if it's any good?

R

Rodney Wrestt

John,
I haven't used it for float fishing but I use the 10lb b/s for legering the diameter is 0.15mm (the equivilent of 2lb or 2.5lb mono) it's neutral buyancy means it can be used for surface fishing. The only problems I can see is adjusting the strike and retrieving a snaged rig. If you do use braid and get caught up, don't pull for a break by pointing the rod at the snag as the reel can be damaged or by pulling the line with your hands as the braid will slice through the skin, instead wrap the braid around a bankstick or pair of forceps and pull this way.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Rodney, your image takes ages to load is that normal or is it my comp. John, I'd be very wary of using braid for float fishing, it poses problems you can do without. Anyhow there is'nt much advantage. Throwing a waggler in wind with braid is asking for trouble, wind knots are a certainty on a regular basis, but its not so bad on a stick though the tendency to strike is hard to stop pulling the hook out

R

Rodney Wrestt

Graham,
it's so slow because it's a .gif file and contains 94 frames, it loads at the same time as the rest of the page for me, I don't know what spec your system is or how fast your internet connection is but these have a big say in how fast graphics load up.

I agree with your point about wind knots, I had assumed it was for trotting purposes. Casting light weights and braid don't really go well together, but an underarm flick with a stick float should be ok.