Dorset Stour

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Has anyone got any knowledge of the Stour around Gillingham? I've picked up on a stretch about four miles below Gillingham and have no knowledge of this river at all. Any info guys?

S

Stuart Bullard

I assume you mean the Stour in Kent? If it is, then Mid Kent have a stretch available to them (look up their web site). May not be near, but it could be a starting point or give some indicators.

D

Dave Slater

Stu,
There is a place called Gillingham in Dorset, which I assume is where Graham means as the thread is called Dorset Stour.
Graham,
I think you will find that the upper Stour is mainly a winter fishery. The chub there do not grow as big as further down river but still reach a good size. The area is best known for it's superb roach fishing. There is a good head of roach and they grow to a good size. The perch also grow to a good size. There are some good tench on the upper Stour and the pike potential is reasonable. As far as I know there are no barbel above Blandford, but I could be wrong.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Graham,

Do you know exactly where you are hoping to fish? From the Cale mouth (below Marnhull) to Cutt Mill just above Stur Newton was seriously polluted about 2 years ago. Marnhull itself is OK, winter fishing is best with bread, From Stur Newton down there is a mixture of roach, chub and perch fishing depending on the stretch. Barbel are being established near Stourpaine but early days yet. email me if you need more info on specific stretches.

Mark

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Sorry I havn't got the full info as to exact location just that its about 4 miles below Gillingham. Theres a mile of fishing to be had if you book a holiday so if and when I book I'll get the full info. It sounded interesting and judging by what you've posted Dave about the roach fishing then I'm even more interested. I'm a bit concerned about that pollution bit though, just how bad was it, was it a wipe out job Mark? Also, does it cover the stretch I'm on about?

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Just had a look at the map and I would have thought that pollution was more than 4 miles below Gillingham, should have looked before I posted that last bit, getting old ya know

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Graham,

Sounds like you're somewhere near Stour Provost, West Stour or Fifehead Magdalen; I've fished near the last of these. It's very narrow, surprisingly deep in parts. When I fished it there were lots of chub around 1 - 2 lb plus roach to a pound, good dace and a surprise bream. Not much sign of perch though this may have changed. Caster was best in summer using a stick, or bread punch on little Avon float and 16 hook with a little groundbait in winter when conditions were ideal, tinge of colour slightly up. Very prone to floods in winter, can be 12 ft up. Interesting rather than world beating. Rumour of barbel being stocked in this area but no actual evidence. Odd pockets of big roach to over 2lbs..

Mark