Which club?

J

jeff burgess

My favourite fishing is for chub and barbel. I may not be very good and I may not catch much but I simply find it so absorbing. I was thinking of joining either RMC, CALPAC or Reading (or one of its' associates) so I can fish on the Kennet. I will be travelling from Kent and the Kennet isn't too far to travel for a day's fishing. Does anyone have belong to these clubs and can recommend them? Any advice gratefully recieved.

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

Here u go mate.........

Burghfield River,Reading, Berkshire.
Arguably the most prolific big Barbel stretch of the entire River Kennet with a huge head of double-figure specimens. This mile-long feature-filled section offers challenging fishing for Barbel to 15lb. 4oz. and Chub to 6lb. 14oz. Good river Carp, Pike and Perch are also present.

?30

And if you get your ticket around october i think it then drops to half price.

D

Dave Slater

The day ticket stretch at Aldermaston Mill may also be worth a look. It was pretty prolific when I used to fish there many years ago.

J

John Pleasance

Aldermaston is a bit of a circus though Dave,mad rush for swims etc. etc.

J

jeff burgess

Burghfield River,Reading, Berkshire was one of the stretches that interested me. I was however wondering how busy it gets during the week. I know RMC have a huge number of members and was worried that this stretch might be packed to the rafters?
Thanks for the info.

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

Not fished Burghfield myself but a mate went last week on a friday and bearing in mind it was still school hols it was not too busy.

C

Colin North, the one and only

You live in Kent. What's the matter with joining Royal Tunbridge Wells AS, who I understand control stretches of the Upper Meday at Fordcombe (I think that's how you spell it) and Ashurst holding enormous Barbel. Save that poxy journey around the M25 or through London to get on the M4

B

Budgie Burgess

Jeff most likely wants some proper Barbell fishing!

S

Stuart Bullard

I was a member of Tunbridge Wells. Nice stretches of river, but the barbel were a bit hammered. Very few people specifically targeting chub (except me!) so some really good sport.

Biggest trouble is access. Being able to imitate a mountain goat is a real benefit as the bank sides are steep. I used to use a rope and "swivel post".

J

jeff burgess

I have thought about TW but I have a real downer on the Medway. Not too good on steep sided banks either!!!

B

Budgie Burgess

Jeff,when in Kent I regularly travel to both the Kennet and the Severn for my Barbell fishing.It takes me 2hrs to the Kennet and 3 to the Severn.As I go for a couple of days at a time I find the extra hour to the Severn not a problem.I fish both rivers because of the variety.Both hold big fish but for sheer numbers of 4lb-8lb fish then I think the Severn wins hands down.Reading controls some great stretchs but bans night fishing.A lot of these stretches are hammered during the day.The Severn produces very well during the day and even the hammered sections fish well come evening.As for Aldermaston Mill,very prety,has some big fish in it but as allready said a bit of a circus (even in the week)further down from the road bridge (still on the same day ticket,avaiable from the Mill) is IMO much better fishing and a lot,lot quieter.I have fished the Medway but despite catching a biggy it wasnt really my idea of Barbelling.More like long stay carp fishing on a ditch!The stretch controled by the Nat West is a lot quieter but very difficult to get on.In general there are very few barbell in the Medway stretch (and it is a very small stretch)If you want to catch barbell rather than just fish for them I would give it a miss!

J

jeff burgess

Grateful for that Budgie. Where on the Severn do you fish. I've previously done the Royalty as a day trip which is about two and a half to three hours each way so the Severn may be an option too. As may the River Lea. Dobbs Weir on a day ticket looks like a good option.

B

Budgie Burgess

My favourites are the Bewdley and Kidderminster stretches.

C

Colin North, the one and only

This thread seems to have gone cold. A well kept little secret. Canterbury AS stretches of the Stour hold good barbel.

Colin