Fluorocarbon

S

Stuart Harvey

I've tried the Drennan stuff which I quite like but the highest breaking strain they do is 4lb. I'm looking for 6lb b/s.

What other brands do you recommend?

M

Mike Cox

Stuart, There is a brand called grand max riverge. I have heard that it is meant to be excellent in both abrasion resistance and diameter. They do it from 6lb up to 24lb. It's quite expensive at around ?8.99 for 20 metres but apparently it's worth every penny.

T

Tony Myatt

Stuart,
Drennan Fly Leader Fluoro is OK for barbels etc. 50m spools @ ?5.99 used it in 6,7,8 and 10lb strengths.

Tony

J

John Pleasance

Drennan Fluoro Fly leader for me too in 8lb b/s, never had any problems with it.Palomar knot works fine,not tried any other knots.

Just one tip,it comes off the spool a bit curly,so just gently pull it when your hooklength is tied up and it comes up straight.

B

Birds Nest

I like Sightfree, I get it from here.. http://www.fishtec.co.uk Uncle Jacks is good too.. Ron'll recomoend Stren (or something like that), but I've never got my hands on any.. The powerpro stuff is supposed to be good too, but again I've never tried any...

R

Ron (Rontroversial) Clay

Just got a pile of Stren from the States in several tests. 250 yard spools for about ?6.00 a spool.

Tremendous fluoro.

Why the hell do they not sell this in UK????

I will continue my nagging until this is sorted and it's got to be at the exchange rate!!

Look at www.stren.com

Stren by the way is the best fishing line in the world!

B

Birds Nest

Nice one Ron. Think I'll get a US collegue to send me some..

R

Ron (Rontroversial) Clay

I do Rodney. I have caught some good fish with that little spool.

However I am talking about 6, 8 and 10 lbs test stuff.

R

Rodney Wrestt

Ah that's right Ron, sorry I forgot about the B/S you were looking for.

B.N.
it was Ultima Virage, but the highest B/S I have is 5lb.

M

Matthew Nightingale

If you want to straighten line there is a trout fishing trick that works. Get a bit of rubber off an inner tube and fold it over. Pull your line through it and it straightens out.

Hope this helps.

M

R

Ron (Rontroversial) Clay

Just checked the Sportfish website.

www.sportfish.co.uk

They do not have Stren, but they do have Seaguar on 50 m spools in a wide range of tests. Seaguar I am told is Stren under another name.

Again the prices are a laugh!!

?9.99 for 50 miserable metres!!

It's time something was done.

M

Matthew Nightingale

....just got a Carrilon catalogue (www.carrilon.com. they are advertising Fulling Mill flouro for ?7.99 for 100 M of 8 LB. I presume it all comes from the same few factories so it might be a good deal.

M

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Ron, two questions mate. Firstly does that Stren line have a memory and secondly where do you buy it from (assuming its off the web)and if so whats the P&P. Rightly or wrongly I'm a bit wary of giving my card number to an American site but if thats the only way then so be it

R

Ron (Rontroversial) Clay

I have noticed that ALL lines (not braids), even the best nylon lines, have a memory.

Fluoros all have a memory. They have a tendancy when you pull up the knot to form a few twizzly bits near to the knot. But this does not weaken the line as long as you spit on it when you tighten the knot.

For your information, Stren and Seaguar seem less prone to memory. They are lovely lines and all those I have shown then to agree.

But the real advantages of fluoro are three-fold.

1: They are less easy to see under water.

2: Being heavier than nylon they sink quickly and lay on the bottom. As fly leaders, they don't require treating with mud etc to make them sink.

3: PVDF (Polyvinylidene di-fluoride) does not degrade due to untraviolet light or hydrolysation (degredation due to contact with water). In theory you can keep a spool of fluoro indefinitely and it will not weaken.

Beware of poor "PVDF".

If you burn it with a match, it should go out when you take the flame away. If it continues burning, bin it!

There are a lot of cheap and nasty PVDFs around that have given the product a bad name.

Stren is one of the best.

S

Stuart Harvey

I bought some of the Drennan Fly Leader today as recommeded by Tony and John.

I just put a small amount of water in awashing up bowl, put a bit of the line in it and tell you what, bloody magic. I thought I'd bought a reel of PVA. It just disappeared.

Can't wait to use it.

T

Tony Myatt

Ron,
How do you rid the line of its memory? I just pull it through my fingers and the slight ammount of friction seems to do the trick, if your rod/rods are already set up before fishing the tension (only light) when the rig is hooked onto a rod ring also appears to work. Haven?t used the Stren as I?ve had no problems with the Drennan stuff.

Stuart,
Good luck, knots I use are a palomar to the swivel and a knotless knot to the hook. If you use drilled pellets no need for a baiting needle as the line is stiff enough just to push through the hole.