Doubled Up Pole Elastic

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
I don't use long lengths of hollow elastic so I get two pieces from the packet. I use the Drennan stuff which isn't the dearest. Hollow stretches 10 times length compared to 5 or 6 times with solid so if you use 3 metres of hollow it's easy to see that it could stretch so far that you'd have to use a pulla bung. I use no 6 latex solid, 8-10 hollow and 10-12 hollow. I have a strong pole with 14 solid but that's not my style of fishing. I've had carp to 10lbs on 10-12. It's amazing how LITTLE elastic you can get away with; I did some tests with winter carp to 8lbs, landing them in under 30 secs on 0.10 line and 18" of no. 4 elastic. It takes a lot of skill but it's all about fooling them into the net rather than trying to pull their heads off which is why heavier and heavier elastic just makes them fight harder!

You'll have to see if your local library has our book, or can order it in.

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
Ok, Like i said, i shall try it in 1 of my top kits and see how i get on with it.

Please don't think i am trying to convert anyone, i am just trying to learn as much as i can.

I shall try Doubled up elastic, i have already got and tried single elastic, i shall try Hollow elastic in smaller grades to see how i get on with them at some stage also.

---------- Post added at 14:17 ---------- Previous post was at 14:14 ----------

You'll have to see if your local library has our book, or can order it in.

I already have your book Mark on Pole Fishing (well yours and mr Marsdins) i admit i haven't read it all completely so perhaps i will have to try and get my head around it, just got to sift through the long winded boring bits :wh

Seriously though, thanks the the info, it is indeed food for thought.

Rodney Wrestt

Reaction score
Sorry Steph, I didn't mean to make it look like I was trying to stop you from trying it, I hope it goes well, I didn't think you were trying to convert anyone (the angling press do enough of that when a new method pops up).

No offence intended, just my views on a subject you could write a book on....... as Mark & Graham have :) personal choice and enjoyment are what count.

sagalout

Reaction score
Good thread this, Steph, I've learned a lot. When you have read the book can you put the good bits on a thread :wh.

In all seriousness, thanks for continuing to give advice freely Mark, even tho you write books about it :).

S

Shikari375

Fantastic Elastic

Unless the hollow elastic is liquid filled it makes little difference. Doubling the complete length is effectively doubling the cross section ie making it behave like thicker elastic. I use hydro elastic for greater than a 10 as my pole is only rated 14 and it enables me to land monsters with it. Less than 10 I use an 8'' twisted loop at the bung as a shock absorber. The twist being made by twisting the elastic in opposite direction before I tie it off. I've thought of making my own hydro elastic by filling ordinary hollow elastic with silicone oil from a syringe. To get smooth flow through the pole tip a single strand is best, most important of all is to lube the elastic and wash the muck out of the pole tip occasionaly. I remember when some creative soul was using doubled over 16 elastic in a landing net handle, hopefully the cheap hit-and-hold pole has put a stop to this.

But that said its fun to try out new ideas

Edmund

Andy Pet

Reaction score
Double Elastic

Stealth - have you had any luck with the doubled elastic yet?

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
Stealth - have you had any luck with the doubled elastic yet?

Hello Andy,

No, not yet, i have just had an operation on my Eye and i will be out of action for a couple of months.
If no one reports anything , i shall report back as and when i try it out.

Thanks for asking though.

steph mckenzie

Reaction score
Yeah, but only briefly ..... it works very well gives you a soft enough start to land the smaller fish but plenty of power to control larger ones when needed.

I haven't used it recently as i've not be to well, but it is certainly worth a go especially if you are targeting a varying choice of species.

sagalout

Reaction score
Sorry to hear you've been ill, hope you are better now.

On your advice I fitted a doubled 5 elastic in one of me tops, very soft for the littl'uns but far to soft when the 2 to 3lb tench and carp came out to play. I have now shorten the elastic to only run through the top section. Much better, more control, but still nice and soft.

Following on I have now done a doubled 6 through one section and used that this morning for tench to 2lb and carp to 3 or 4lb. Very nice, works well.

steph mckenzie

Reaction score
Excellent, glad you have found a sloution to the softness. It does allow a lot more versatility especially if you only have a limited amount of Top Kits which i'm sure most Pole Anglers do.

stikflote

Reaction score
ive been using doubled up elastic for about two or three years now in my match polei find it excellent far better than a solid, i do have a couple of hydro elastics in my margin pole black and purple for the lumps.

I first saw a article about doubled up elastic wrote by Alan Scotthorne,
he was advocating its use ,so i tried it and have used ever since,