Keeping dry-whats on offer these days??

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Spent today sitting under an umbrella-the old heavy sort which weighs a ton-and I got to thinking about making a change(if something better is available these days!)that is,PRIMARILY,lighter and easier to cart around.............

Generally,I hate the bl**dy things and rely on decent wet-weather clothing when possible but,like today when I had a sedentry day after carp and it drizzled continually I thought it about time I considered a 21st Century model to protect me and the gear!

1. Light and easily carried

2. Will one model do the job-stationary or roving(roving not really an issue most of the time)?

3.Price not an issue for the RIGHT animal

4.Something that might just last more than a season!

All suggestions considered but if I had to name one proviso it would be weight!!

Bluenose

Reaction score
Like you TC I rely mainly on decent clothing. I have a heavy 50 inch wavelock, ok for long static/overnight sessions but too heavy and cumbersome for mobile sessions.

My favourite is a cheap bog standard nylon 45inch, sure there are 'better' materials and brands and hi tec styles. However for me a brolly doesn't come out that often, on rivers especially and when it does I've often got decent clothing on anyway so it's simply for that extra bit of comfort.

A nylon brolly is light, wraps up small and fits in all small quivers!

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
I had a nu-brolli years ago; tough but far too heavy. I then bought a really cheap brolly but when the wind blew it folded around me so I took it back and bought an equally light but much lighter one that's now 20 years old and still going strong, not that I use it much.

Old Nick

Reaction score
I have just bought the Korum 50' brolly because of weight and portability, pegging points for when it gets really blowy, and the removable centre pole for extra space so I can keep my gear as well as me and chair relatively dry.

Bluenose

Reaction score
How much please Nick?

Edit: I mean how much did the brolly cost you? Not, well you know......

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
TeeCee, get yourself down to Marsh off the London Road, he had soem nice ones in there I was looking at the other day. Looked like NuBrolli types, about £50, but they are the best IMO.

If it's the odd drizzle or shower, I take a good golf umbrella, pull everything under the chair and sit it out. In fact, when I designed a quiver/holdall for Chub one of the pockets was to take either a folding traingular landing net or in my case, a golf umbrella.

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
I have just bought the Korum 50' brolly because of weight and portability, pegging points for when it gets really blowy, and the removable centre pole for extra space so I can keep my gear as well as me and chair relatively dry.

I've got this one too, it's not the lightest, but that's because it's quite apparant that it's been made to last. Having said that it's not hugely heavy, but I only take it out when I know it's due to p**s it down.

I'm not too sure how much it was though as it was a Christmas present.

Rickrod

Reaction score
i use a keenets lite shield for a day fishing .Its no bother taking it too them far swims,or if you want too up sticks and move.

Old Nick

Reaction score
How much please Nick?

Edit: I mean how much did the brolly cost you? Not, well you know......

A penny shy of £40, the brolly however, costs ............. :)

Not the lightest model around but a lot better than my old wavelok/rubber jobbie!

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not sure if you can still buy these, but a Rellum (or Hutchy) Brotel is about as good as it gets.

I've had mine for a good number of years and only just recently udgraded to a Korum Stormshield.

There was a very detailed review on the old FM:

Relum Deluxe Brotel - FishingMagic Online Fishing Magazine.

The Brotel is very light, much lighter than the Stormshield, and it too has pegging points and no centre pole, so much more room inside than a brolly.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Golf brollys ok

Like jeff, I just check the weather forecast and if there is only the possibility of a light shower I take a golf brolly and just hold it for a while if it rains. These are so cheap £2-£3 and they are ok for an emergency.

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
For those days when it's a bit over cast or I'm planning on moving swims I've got the Korum 50 flat back brolly - comes with good solid ground pegs

For days I'm going to be in one place or it loks like I might need a bit more shelter I've got the Daiwa over night mission shelter - pegs down , comes with 2 storm poles and ground sheet and £10 less than the Korum Stormshield brolly I was going to buy - only down side is the 6 pegs supplies with it are very poor - but I use those from my bivvy - just need to remember to put them back next time I take the bivvy out

sagalout

Reaction score
6 pegs supplies with it are very poor
For good quality cheap pegs cut a 6mm stud (threaded bar) into required length, grind one end to a point, on the other end put a 6mm wing nut upside down and then wind a dome nut on, tighten the wing nut to the dome nut, hey presto, super duper peg for very little cash. (Don't you try this Stelph, you'll have somebody's eye out using tools).

Last edited:

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
For good quality cheap pegs cut a 6mm stud (threaded bar) into required length, grind one end to a point, on the other end put a 6mm wing nut upside down and then wind a dome nut on, tighten the wing nut to the dome nut, hey presto, super duper peg for very little cash. (Don't you try this Stelph, you'll have somebody's eye out using tools).

6mm doesn't sound like much of a stud - I've got more than that:D

Sagalout - you've lost me - the only tools I have are a hammer, half a dozen screw drivers and a drill - best all round for me and my body if I just buy a set or use those from my bivvy - I still ahve the scar on my thumb from woodwork class 40 years ago

Thanks for the advice though :)

Neneman Nick

Reaction score
I`m sure "Dragon Carp" do a golfing type fishing brolly,with a screw in spike.
I believe it`s quite a light set up.
I also have a big old 50" nubrolli,can`t remember the last time i used it....years ago probably?
Instead,i have two ponchos i use now,that fold up nice and compact and take up little or no room attall in my tackle bag.....a lightweight realtree one and a big old US army one that covers all and sundry (myself and chair) while it`s peeing it down.

Just checked out the "Dragon Carp" site,the brolly is called a "stalking brolly" and it costs £10.

Last edited: