Crucian or Not?

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Okay, you've read what Phil says, and what I think. What do you reckon - crucian or cross?

Kim Mathiasen

Reaction score
I think it's "thingy"...looks a lot like the hybrids I've caught. Strong fish...

D

Dave Slater

I have caught fish like this from a local stillwater to 6lb 10oz. I was quite excited when I caught the first one at 6lb 10oz, particularly as I thought it was a crucian and was caught on the same day as a chub of 7lb 2oz, which was a persobnal best at the time. The photos were inspected by expert anglers including Fred Sykes and the concensus of opinion was that it was a crucian/common hybrid.

DAVE COOPER

Reaction score
Working on your theory that if it 'looks like a duck etc' my first reaction was 'that's got a bit of common in it.....'

Hence my view is it's a crucian/common cross.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

It's certainly not a Crucian. The dorsal fin is concave like a common carp.

Crucian/common hybrid I think.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I would agree with Ron, and others, that the fish is indeed a Crucian Hybrid.

However, at 4lbs 11ozs it is a magnificent "specimen" fish without a doubt.

I have often wondered does a "specimen" have to be from only those fish that appear on the Record Fish Listing?

G

goff dyer

Who cares, Phil if i had caught it i would have been over the moon its a cracking fish.

T

Terry Comerford

It does have a common look to it, but difficult to say as its not close up.
Nice fish though.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

There are two other aspects opf a true Crucian that are worthy on note.

A true Crucian appears to have a split lateral line. It does not join in the middle of it's body as it were.

Also, when you hold a crucian it has a tendency to "curl".

These are characteristics of the species I was taught many years ago.

D

Dave Slater

Phil,
If the fish is the same as the ones I have caught in a local lake it must have fought very well. The ones in my water go mental and are probably the hardest fighting fish I have encountered. They look very nice as well. I t doesn't matter if they are hybrids as long as you enjoy catching them. I certainly do.

A

Andy Nellist

The one thing you can say with certainty is that it is not a Crucian.

If I had to guess i'd go for F1 Crucian x Common.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

I agree Dave. Next summer I mean to do a lot more fishing for Crucians, or their "cousins".

There is a lake not far from me that has them up to 5lbs. I got one (a true Crucian) of 21/2 lbs this last summer.

P

Phil Hackett

Agree with Andy Nellist it an F1 Crucian common carp hybrid.
Just a point on hybrids, the dominant species always comes first. A Roach X Bream hybrid would look like a roach, generally have the anal fin of a bream and probably the lazy all black eye that bream have.

I am surprised that Phil Smith thought this was Crucian given that he sits on BRFC. Or is he trying to wind us up?

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

Errrrrrr i dont think its the same Phil Smith. If it was then he aint said owt about it to me over the last few weeks and we speak once or twice a week on the phone if we haven't been out fishing.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
The captor is NOT Phil Smith of the record fish committee. Without doubt THE Phil Smith would have recognised that particular fish as a hybrid.

D

Dave Slater

Good job it is a hybrid or THE Phil Smith would already have his rod rests in the holes left by the other Phil Smith's rod rests !!

G

Gary Knowles

Deffo a crucian/common hybrid, and not that rare I might add.

There are loads of them in Cheshire. I've caught plenty of them in reasonable quantities.

A

Andy Nellist

Where the sex of the parents is known it is usual to put the maternal sex first and the paternal second.

It has been speculated maternal/paternal influence may affect the appearnance e.g. a Roach (f) x Bream (m) may appear more roach like than a Bream (f) x Roach (m) but nobody has yet studied the mitochondrial DNA of adult wild cyprinid hybrids in the UK. i.e. no one knows.