Compton Verney lakes

martin flavell

Reaction score
Hi all
On one of my visits to the Wellesbourne area of Warwickshire I happened across a couple of lakes at Kineton .
Unfortunately not a single angler could be found to ask any questions about the waters ! Do any of you good people know anything of this attractive place ? what lives there ? how can i obtain a permit ect

R

Ron Troversial Clay

I fished these lakes on several occasions when I lived in Leamington and Warwick.

They contain some very good tench, but not as big as the Gravel pits of Oxfordshire. There are also bream, pike and some very big eels. John Sidley fished there qite a lot prior to his death.

I used to get a day tisket on the bank in those days from the Wellesbourne AC.

Catching fish there demands a great deal of groundwork and skill as the fish are not everywhere. As a result, the waters are hardly ever fished, as the majority of anglers are not prepared to put in the effort. There are many overstocked muddy puddles in this area which tend to attract all the anglers these days. If you don't get it right, you will blank at Compton Verney.

This water has an interesting history. The two lakes were dug out with pick and shovel over 200 years ago.

**** Walker was introduced to the lakes by BB in the 50s. He caught several tench over 5 lbs there.

Compton Verney big lake is very beautiful and typical of an old decorative estate lake. I grew to love the place.

rob hudson

Reaction score
Hi Martin. Well you have stumbled across some cracking lakes! At the moment the lakes are being cleaned and restocked for the 2004 season. I too went for a nosey, but because the 'opera' house is being renovated the H & S exc. have closed the whole area. I am in contact with Katherine Gorbing, the director of communocations regarding the opening and should be hearing more news very soon. I'll keep you posted.

As for fish, the compton side (right side if heading away from Kineton) holds tench, carp, eels, roach, bream, perch and huge pike! Used to sit and watch them from the tree's as a kid! The Park farm side (the larger lake) is a seperate entity. I beleive it is still shut to the public due to some kids messing around and playing the owners up. Might be worth a phone call to the farm. Used to have big nets of bream come out and massive pike!

Anyway, i'll keep you posted Martin on the compton verney side.

L

Lee Poultney

I too went to look prior to the season openig and spoke to a guy who said that the lake on the farm side had been closed to angling after some trouble and as said earlier the other lake is closed until work is complete.

Having said that it looked a wonderful place and would be grateful if any news could be passed on.