What's the most horrendous mess

• Thread starter Ron Troversial Clay
  • Start date
R

Ron Troversial Clay

At times, through our fishing lives, we have experimented with groundbaits. From rancid pigs blood, to vile 6 weeks old caster mash, I've done the lot.

However the worst,(or best, depends which way you look at it) was when I realised that Vaal River Yellowfish were turned on by big fat black crickets - about 3 inches long.

These are easy enough to catch. You lay a large wet sack on your lawn in the late evening and stuff about a loaf of mashed bread, with some cheese,under it.

Next morning you get a container and throw away the sack and start grabbing what is underneith. Watch out for brown ones with little raised tails. If you have several sacks on your lawn you can get a couple of hundred of these lovely shiny black chirpers in a night.

The next thing is to mush them up with about 10 kg of fermenting maize mash. They make a lovely colour combination of black green and yellow slime.

And the stench in the hot sun can be vile.

Bait your swim and within minutes, the yellows are in.

It's a pity there are not big black crickets in England. If there were, those Trent barbel had better look out.

Whats the nastiest and most effective you have ever concocted?

N

Nick Austin

my current particle mix is getting pretty nasty at the moment actually.......i had some visitors the other day who kept "sniffing"....
To smell it's vile...starting off as a kind of HAM smell, going a bit beer like...and now it's at the RANCID CHEESE stage.....
FANTASTIC........cant wait to get hot pan going and boil it all off!!! just so i can freeze it and start trying to get people to visit again!!! hahaaha

L

Les Clark

Ron,what a useless bit of info about black cricket`s,up to your normal standard.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Ron,

I used to regularly fish a match on a lake in Sweden, just over the border from Norway, but nonetheless a good 5 hour drive to get there from my home in Oslo.

The lake held a massive head of Bream with an average size of about 4 pounds, and match weights of 30 kilos were pretty 'everage' for the venue for a 4 hour match.

The "locals" used to swear by the use of Vodka in their ground bait, which also included caster, corn, and chopped worm, and you need masses of the stuff for a decent result.

The first time I used the 'vodka trick' I pre-made about 12 kilos of the stuff a few days in advance and put it in the back of my Pajero. The whole mix had time enough to start to ferment and the pong in my car was almost unbearable. I am sure that I was way over the legal limit to drive by the time I arrived at the lake.

However, I took 36 kilos on the day for a section win and third overall in the match, so I continued to use the 'voddie' mix for several years after that.

I wonder if liquidised slug might be a good additive for a chub groundbait?

L

Laurie Harper

Liquidised slug? YUM... I like the sound of the voddie mix, though. I remeber reading an article about tench fishing by John Watson some years ago in which he advocated using alcoholic baits. I suppose it makes sense. Most fish are opportunistic scavengers and will home in on any interesting/fermenting/rotting smells.

J

jason fisher

rotten sweetcorn is pretty bad when it's been out in the sun for a couple of weeks in the middle of summer you can smell it about 30 yards away. and that's with the bait box lid on tight.
i've used it up to a week but couldn't bear it after that, had to throw it to the bottom of the garden to annoy the neighbours.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

Les, if you think I am talking rubbish, think again. Anyone who has lived for long periods in Africa will know that crickets and cicadas and some locusts are the most common of all insects. You can here them chirping all night in summer.

Fish love them.

I miss the sound of the crickets at night, they lulled you to sleep.

S

steve southwick

back in the 80s i used to go flattie fishing on melton ponds near hull
ond used the cheapest catfood and tins of pilchards and pigs blood from the local butchers now that lot really did stink
but the flatties liked it

N

Nick Austin

Ron......i think les was pointing out that we dont have giant black crickets HERE!....

The liquidized slug sounds interesting.....could be divorce inducing though!....hahahahah

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Not at my local Sainsbury,s Ron!

This thread takes me back to a school fishing trip to the Hants. Avon back in the mid-eighties.

Every summer our biology teacher, John Burkenshaw(aka JRB) used to set off with a bunch of smelly adolescents for a weeks fishing & camping on some far away river.

Food was very basic but usually palatable.A particularly grim Spag.Bol on this occasion was the exception & a large amount was left over.Being a Yorkshireman from Rons neck of the woods no less, JRB was reluctant to see it wasted & the whole lot was taken next day to Somerley Lakes where it was despatched randomly over his shoulder into the lake.The looks on the faces of the resident carp boys was a joy to behold as Spaghetti Bolagnese rained down from the heavens.

Suffice to say the fish were not impressed & the experiment was not repeated.

He had the last laugh however when the day after, he caught a couple of Barbel from the Severals on his speciality bait - pork pie pastry!

B

Bill Eborn

I liked the episode of Fishing on the Edge when Henry Gilbey mashed up some seriously manky old Mackeral in some bread mash for Mullett only to find a group of swimmers turned up before the Mullett did.

Having done quite well using Lamprey as a Chub bait recently and adding the blood to some liquidised bread, I reckon there could be something to be said for liquidising one and adding that.