Braid for Bream on Feeder

D

dave bassett

I have only used drennan braid for feeder fishing for bream in ireland. 6lb braid and 4lb maxima hook length. Hope this helps.

P

Phil Hackett

I do sometimes use braid as hooklegths 6-8lb Drennan is as good as anything.

B

Budgie Burgess

Same as I recomend for any situation -choose the braid size by diameter not BS.

As for brand.I tried the Fos sinking feeder braid and wasnt impressed.It did not last very well.Spiderwire in 20lb I have used a lot for heavy feeder fishing for Barbel and its been fine. For lighter general river feeder fishing I have used Cabellas Rip cord SI about a dozen times seems ok so far.Cant remember the diameter or BS but it is about as thick as 4-5lb mono so must be in the region of 18lb BS.Not so sure that you need to bother about getting sinking braid for ledgering as the last to I mention are both floating braids.

Mike Davey

Reaction score
I have used braid for bream fishing in Eire for years, Berkley make a great braid, and so do drennan. But the important thing is that braid can be bouyant and not too good in windy conditions where you get tow on the lake, rivers fine. Use a shock leader inbetween the braid and the hooklength, if not set your clutch lighter or you'll have bream lips and not slabs.
I seem to favour the drennan sinking feeder braid at 6lb, a long lasting braid.

You can also use power gum shock leaders, don't use a hook link under 3lb 2oz, unless you use the 4lb braid, and a light clutch.

But braid is nice to use when you master your own technique.

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

Fox Gravitron, a superb sinking braid i use for all my bream fishing.

C

Carl Madigan

Drennan feeder braid in 6lb or berkeley whiplash in the same. You must tie a monofilament leader of say 4 - 5 metres using a water knot ( anything else slips )to attatch your terminal tackle. The leader is this long as you will need to cut it back a few times and it stops the fish seeing the braid. Another tip is don't strike, just lift and start winding or you'll land nothing but bream lips!

T

The Dog

If you are fishing at distance for Bream then sinking braid is superb. It is far less prone to twist, is great for indicating bites and tranmits so much more feel when you are playing the fish.

On the downside it is more affected by undertow on windy nights and you have to be careful when playing fish on a short line.

I use 15lb fox submerge for fishing for big bream but having used 6lb and 8lb drennan feeeder braid for chub (and during the process landed quite a few bream) I would recommend that if you wanted a lighter sinking braid.

As a result of the increased sensitivity of the braid i now use the lightest leads and indicators i can get away with and fish with isotopes on the tips of my rods. Often friction between the eyes and the line will result in the indicator not moving (this is also true with mono) but will result in the tip moving. Using isotopes and braid will let you see these timid bites far more easily by magnifying their effect at the tip and that in turn will help you to put more fish on the bank.

B

Budgie Burgess

A double grinner will join mono to braid no problem.

C

Carp Angler

agree Budgie, as will a loop in the end of the braid and just putting the mono on with a grinner. (twice thru or the mono will get cut)

Why cushion braid with a mono leader?
I can understand a fluoro leader in very clear water, but otherwise you are defeating the object of the no stretch braid by putting stretchy mono in the equation. Seems piontless.

B

Budgie Burgess

I use the braid all the way through for my carp,Cat and Pike fishing but do prefer a io'length of mono for feeder fishing.Not so sure you need it for the "cushioning" effect but I do prefer to tie my feeder rigs in mono.Dont think a 10' length is going to put much stretch in to the system but see your point Rik.

Enda Hickey

Reaction score
I have been using braid for years for feeder fishing and for most of that time it has been Berkley Fireline in the 6lb breaking strain. But last summer I switched to a braid marketed by Sensas, I tried it out for the rep over here and was very impressed with it. It sinks very well, the colour is abit off putting as it is a bright green colour but it does darken up well. One thing that shocked me was that it has much the same diameter as the Fireline but breaks at near 20lb, so I make sure to use at least 25ft of 4lb maxima, this gives me the stretch I need.
It does not come cheap either, but if you can get some gop for it.
There is a Jan Van Schendal braid as well that is top class as well, some of my mates use it and find it to be good as well.

C

Carl Madigan

Hmmm to put a loop in braid is a problem in itself so I stand by the waterknot. The leader has minimal stretch effect when you cast our 30'+ of line so I would include it and part of the reason of adding one is to enable you to put on your terminal tackle. If you are fishing anything but a big stillwater stick to mono. Oh and if you want to suggest something else just for the sake of it try and put it into practice first and test it works... people come here for advice so try and provide it.

B

Budgie Burgess

" Oh and if you want to suggest something else just for the sake of it try and put it into practice first and test it works... people come here for advice so try and provide it."

??????????????????????????????????????????

C

Carp Angler

"people come here for advice"

and so other people provide it.

Because it's different advice to yours Carl, does that mean that people have never tested it?
Is yours the only method that works?

"to put a loop in braid is a problem in itself"
mmmmmmmm, that's something that you've obviously never tested then.
Maybe you should start a thread asking the best way that others, that have practiced it, get over this problem that you have.