Spool Line clip

broomy

Reaction score
I see lots of reference in fishing articles about achieving acuracy by 'clipping up'.
Even in carp fishing I see reference to fishing off the clip.
How do you do it and not get broken off by a good un.

tortoise100

Reaction score
I find this a bit of a problem too not that I have been broken off as a result but it must weaken the line after a few casts with a heavy feeder etc.

I have found that I have got a lot better with my casting acuracy but it would still be nice to get things exactly right by using the clip rather than dragging things into the right place using a mark on the line .

I do use mine when fishing close to the far bank with float or running ledger but not for carp on an alarm.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Instead of putting the line over the clip tie a pellet band on the line by passing one loop thru another and put that over the clip. It works a treat and even if you aren't quick enough to get it off the clip when a carp runs you only lose a band. I normally charge for this tip but you can have it on me ;)

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
I have the same worries about the line being weakened by the clip, and what happens if you hook a fish capable of pulling a few yards of line off the reel.

I have used pole elastic, tying a sliding stopknot around the mainline at the point where you want to clip up and putting the tag end of the elastic in the line clip instead. It's enough to keep your casts accurate but can be easily pulled free if you need to give a fish some line.

strut5a

Reaction score
A simple rubber band over the spool is another good method. This is also a very cheap way of doing it as it only requires a couple of hours following your local postman to aquire enough bands to last you for a season.

Rickrod

Reaction score
You can also pull some pole elastic around the back of the line clip then clip your line around the line clip this just gives the line alittle more protection on the cast .I do like the sound of Paul H idea

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
I got the ides from a magazine somewhere so it's not mine to claim.

A quick bit of additional info that I should have said before...

Leave both the elastic tag ends an inch or two long, to aid them passing through the line guides if necessary. Also, make sure, particularly with quiver tips, that the line guides are large enough for the whold knot to pass through; otherwise you may end up shopping for another tip.