New Roach Bait.

strut5a

Reaction score
I was fishing on a local carp pond on Sunday. This pond is known to hold double figure carp and tench up to about 6lb,
As a good each way bet I decided to fish a large prawn on a size 10 hook tied to 8lb main line. My first fish was a tench of about 4lb and I thought the plan was working. My next five fish. all in quick succession, were roach, the smallest being a respectable 1lb 3oz and the largest a fantastic 1lb 11oz.
I knew the water held some roach but the best I had caught before Sunday was about 4 or 5oz on the usual roach baits ie corn ,casters, maggot or bread.
I can't help wondering if prawn is the new wonderbait for roach.:confused:

Andrew Macfarlane

Reaction score
Prawn has been my bait of choice for many species over the last year. Carp, tench, orfe, perch, roach, bream, trout. There isn't much that turns it's nose up at it.
I've read shellfish are naturally high in Betaine. Perhaps that's the reason.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
the deacon...who's prawns were you using for the roach??
-I know a roach can take big baits such as a whole lobworm but on my lake,although every other species take prawn(they are the large canadian variety which are 2.5cm long approx)the roach,which grow to a good size don't want to know-even if I cut them down!!

Perhaps you are using a small variety??

Muffin

Reaction score
You better hide this from Steve Spiller otherwise there will be a local shortage of prawns in Bristol this weekend and I fancied a prawn cocktail for tea......

Interesting post though, sometimes you just cant explain events such as this, I'd be interested to hear if you get the same sucess next time.

When I was growing up i was a member at a local estate lake, one day I turned up to fish (with my Mum), just with sweetcorn and all we caught was roach after roach (must have had over 60 fish bewteen us in an afternoon), all around the 1lb mark. I had fished corn/other baits many times there before but never managed many roach. For whatever reason, on that day in that spot the roach wanted sweetcorn and that never happened again in another 4 years of fishing......not as surreal as prawns but you get the drift!

Last edited:

slime monster

Reaction score
I have never tried Prawns in fresh water but once sat next to a young lad at Whitemoor who was catching good Tench on them , he was using the small cooked variety,he had 7 Tench to my 3 on caster :(

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Roach take baits much bigger than many think. One of my mate's had a 3lb 2ozs Roach on a boilie, I know others who have had Roach on boilies from 15mm upto 20mm.

Half a fresh prawn can be taken easy by a large Roach, and I have seen Roach caught on a rig ring with 20 maggots on it.

sagalout

Reaction score
I use large prawns for perch and have had roach take half a large prawn on a number 6 hook. Today I had a 2lb perch on sweetcorn, he obviously wanted revenge on the roach for nicking his prawn.

Rodney Wrestt

Reaction score
I've never caught on prawn, I've taken them a few times but they never make it to the water....... prawns mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Stick_Float

Reaction score
I've had nearly everything that swims on Prawn, although I found the tench really, really love them. Rudd also, had a few well over a pound on prawns.

Stick_Float

Reaction score
The largest rudd I've had on prawns was 1180 g. Which is about halfway between two and three pounds. I was fishing for chub in the dead of night in early april last year. With a single shelled prawn on a carp hook. The rudd came as a very plesant surprise.

DSC_0372.jpg

Not quite that big!

I've used all kinds of Prawns, from the cheapy frozen ones to king prawns and haven't really noticed a preference, just the king prawns are a little more durable on the hook, the small rudd will attack prawns all day long.

I'd imagine Barbel would like a good prawn, may well give them a go next season.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Harvey....Unusual to see someone using the metric system for fish weights-I think most of us(oldies that is!!)still use imperial.....but its good to see anyway!

...beautiful fish though-must have looked a picture-any pics available??

well done!!