New Pole - Advice

Tim Jones 3

Reaction score
Hi, I'm looking at purchasing a new pole. In the past i've only used a margin pole and as such this will be my first "proper" pole.
My local tackle shop has recommended the Leeda Powerhouse X 14.5m. It comes with power top 2 and a 4 piece margin pole. I do like to target mostly carp on pools / lakes but I also sometimes go for roach / rudd etc. Would this pole be suitable for me?
My local dealer has it up for ?200 but in some mag's it's listed at ?150. I've held the pole and its feels ok to me as a novice. Does anyone have any experience of this pole or advice to give?
p.s. I'd really like to support my local dealer and purchase it from him. In other peoples experience would a local shop reduce the price to compete with a mail order company?

R

Richard Huggett 1

Ask me next weekend...I've just ordered a Powerhouse X from my local shop!!!

I had a SKP Valor carp....nice.
A Preston Zyrium....crap.
I have a Preston Edge Plus with the two extensions...a lovely bit of kit, shame it's not 5 metres longer.

S

Shrek

Tim, a tackle shop local to me will do this if you produce the advert. He's accepted printed pages from the 'tinernet before on things I've bought from him.

I'd have thought that the pole, as long as it performs with no.6 or no.8 elastic would be fine for silver fish. Most advertising for poles tends to sway towards the strongest elastic it can take, IMHO, without showing the full versatility of the actual poles itself.

Robert Pearson

Reaction score
tim why don,t you look at the new shimano techniumXT you get two power kits for ?199 but a tackle shop near me will do the 13meter for ?250 ok hope you get what your looking for.

D

Danny Lancaster

The shimano techmium XT looks pretty good and gets some rave reviews, have you had experience with this one Robert?? Thinking of getting the 13m one for myself.

S

Steve Toward

I fish with a Grim Reaper pole and I fish quite a few matches, it is a superb pole for the novice and at a price that will not burn a hole in your pocket, do not forget its you and not the shop owner who will be using the pole so ask about before you bye, because I bought the Browning Power Magic it looked good and felt good in the shop but get it to full lenght and a bit of wind plus the 1500 gms and I soon got rid. The shop said it was perfect and light? anyway dont forget its what you want.Best of luck

Robert Pearson

Reaction score
a mate of mine got one a few months ago and he's had no complaint's about it
he's had carp of 12LB out from brafferton
lake's on it danny

Tim Rogers

Reaction score
Take a look at the browning black magic range not quite as long as the powerhouse but a hell of a lot lighter only 625grams at 12.5 meteres and takes up to a 20 elastic.Bob Nudd reckons its the best 12.5 meter pole he has ever used.Ive got two ,one as a spare but have never had any cause to use the spare one;best pole i have ever used and ive had a few in my time.