Signed vintage Russ Peak split bamboo fly rod

dbryucca

Reaction score
Hello,
We have been scouring the internet to find out as much as we can about our signed Russ Peak split bamboo fly rod. It is signed: Russell J. Peak , Pasadena, CA.
8 ft. 4 ¾ oz. 2 tips, 3 piece C.P. 107BG963 s#5515+55 FERR. S# 5535 Pat. # on handle ND.1624052. It is in pristine condition. We’ve had it for 40 years packed away and safe. It is gorgeous. In it’s own silk bag and tube.
We know Russ Peak’s history as first starting with split bamboo, not liking that medium soon switched to glass and then graphite. He worked with Kerry Burkheimer , we contacted him and he has replied that he (Russ) kept little or no records during the bamboo years. That he may have built less than 12 in bamboo, so that it is very rare. We know that he started his rod business in 1951. I think that was for glass rods…I think this rod is from the 40’s, as we compare it to the other vintage rods we have seen pics of on ebay and vintage rod sites.
I hope you can shed a little light on our research journey. As to age and value. We unfortunately need to sell it ((and another rod, Jed Welch split bamboo, that we have done no research on yet)) because of health issues, and we didn’t want to be ignorant as to it’s worth. There are no (Russ Peak) rods up for any auctions…So It’s hard to value it.
I know: ” He was a legendary fly rod builder. And that a Russ Peak rod in any material are rare and lovely! It is a work of art by an early master craftsman! Russ Peak rods are considered a piece of bamboo angling history.”** ((Some of my wording for the auction when we are ready to put it up. ))
Thank you, in advance, for your help, time and knowledge. It is greatly appreciated!
Kindest Regards,
Doug and Barbara Rich