Octoplus Spacers Wanted

clonker

Reaction score
4 x spacers for octoplus mainframe wanted, to attach to a shakespeare beta box.

Have tried octoplus direct who have said they're obsolete...

Please message me if you have a set you can part with. I can send money via paypal.

Cheers, Steve.

jacksharp

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
4 x spacers for octoplus mainframe wanted, to attach to a shakespeare beta box.

Have tried octoplus direct who have said they're obsolete...

Please message me if you have a set you can part with. I can send money via paypal.

Cheers, Steve.

I had the same problem Steve, you can get them on eBay sometimes but I didn't bother, I used plywood.

Get yourself some 5mm plywood, preferably marine grade, and just use one of the Octoplus frame brackets as a template and cut to size, drill 4 holes and then get some 1" Allen bolts to replace the short original ones and away you go. I used the plywood spacers on my Shakey box with Octoplus and they were great. What box are you looking to use them on?

clonker

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply :) I've been lurking on eBay but no joy so far, so I will take your advice. They're for a Shakespeare box like yours so should be just the job.

Thanks, have a virtual pint on me :)

sam vimes

Reaction score

jacksharp

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply :) I've been lurking on eBay but no joy so far, so I will take your advice. They're for a Shakespeare box like yours so should be just the job.

Thanks, have a virtual pint on me :)

Problems with fitting legs to Shakey boxes:

1) You have already identified this, that you need spacers to give you the room to get accessories onto the legs.

2) The standard mainframe bars are a bit too short and ideally you need the XL Mainframe. I fitted one, to good effect.

3) Shakey boxes have an upward tapering profile so legs splay outwards and accessories like side trays then aren't level. I solved this problem on mine by simply putting 3 or 4 washers on the bottom fixing bolts between the Octoplus bracket and the plywood spacers to tilt the legs nearer to vertical.

This is what my Shakey Beta Box looked like after a thorough "pimping". However I have now sold it and acquired a Little Gem box, which I prefer.

Last edited:

clonker

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, I will make up some spacers for the meantime and keep an eye out on ebay for bits n pieces with the spacers included.

I'd like a better box than the shakespeare, but you can't buy a new one without a frame attached any more. Mind due, the shakespeare is handy for throwing loads of gear in :D

sam vimes

Reaction score
I'd like a better box than the shakespeare, but you can't buy a new one without a frame attached any more. Mind due, the shakespeare is handy for throwing loads of gear in :D

Look out for a good example of the old Watercraft box. They often turn up with all the Octoplus bits as a package. Even good examples, that have seen little use, sell for very little. I had one for about twenty years until I got upgradeitis. I gave it, and all the Octoplus toys, away. It's still serving my fishing mate well despite it being a well used example.

jacksharp

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, I will make up some spacers for the meantime and keep an eye out on ebay for bits n pieces with the spacers included.

You can get all the stuff for a day's fishing into a Shakey box, doing away with the need for a carryall and hence, probably, a trolley! :thumbs:

My Little Gem is a better box for pole-fishing and has a footplate but I now have a carryall and a trolley! :eek:mg:

clonker

Reaction score
Funny you should say about the watercraft boxes, I started looking at them. Then I found a rive base with an xl mainframe including spacers.

Now I have a rive addiction as well as the octoplus addiction! And like you jack will probably end up now with a trolley! The base is ok for a fair bit of storage as all my end tackle goes in the trays and drawers.

Will keep the shakes box though for when I want to take the kitchen sink with me. It has a breakaway back rest fitted which makes it very comfortable to carry any distance. Not as comfy or useful as the rive box though.