Lymm or Warrington

harvey79

Reaction score
Hi all,

Not been fishing for a few years, looking to get back on the bank in the next few weeks.Im looking to join a club in Cheshire and i know that the questions been asked before but looking for some upto date advice on joining Lymm or Warrington.? Id be mainly after Carp and also river barbel. Ive looked at both websites and they both look to have nice waters im just worried about finding a peg on the better ones! Most of my fishing is done midweek as i work weekends. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Harvey

Bluenose

Reaction score
My vote would go for WAA.

WAA have more river fishing I also believe they have more options for the carp angler.

Mid week fishing you won't have a problem getting a peg!

Judas Priest

Reaction score
Sorry Eddie but my money would go to Lymm. They have some gorgeous waters.

At the same time I'd stick my name on the Albert waiting list :)

Bluenose

Reaction score
Fair enough mate.

Am not sure of each clubs rules re:naming waters on a forum (not that am a member of either but respect where it's due). Generally speaking though and without naming specific stretches I think WAA have what I would call barbel stretches on the ribble and several on the severn, Lymm also have some decent Severn water but not sure about ribble?

Lymm did have some Dane barbel stretch/es not sure if they got lost though?

As for carp I think WAA edge it when one considers the larger stilwaters they have and the various canals too. I think WAA is a considerably cheaper option as well if am not mistaken mate, all told Lymm is definitely a club worth a looksee as you say, some of their waters are fabulous!

harvey79

Reaction score
thanks for the reply guys.. its hard to decide!

Ive looked online and there doesn't look much in it to be fair. although Warringtons a bit cheaper. I was more concerned with how many anglers are on the bank to be honest but as you say i should be ok midweek. Lymms junior section looks really good (ive a 9 year old son). Whats the waiting list on PAAS?

Harvey

Judas Priest

Reaction score
Long very very long BUT, if you don't put your name down you'll never reach the front of the queue.
The Albert hold a junior open day/match once a year. Well worth keeping your eyes open for your little un. Costs them nothing, they are well looked after, and all come away with a goody bag. Also a good way for you to meet some of the Albert senior members.

harvey79

Reaction score
hey guys thanks for the info, much appreciated. Still undecided though! Ive put my name on the PAAS waiting list today. Takes upto 3 years but suppose might as well get on it now.

again thanks
Harvey

chirstoph

Reaction score
Hi Harvey,

I am pretty one sided being a Lymm member but I think has some of the best carp fishing in the North-west. Although Warrington is a great club with many good waters I think Lymm have been ahead of the game for the last few years when it comes to carp fishing.

I also run the junior section so if you need any information please let me know.

john489

Reaction score
hi,
new member here,just like to say well said bluenose regarding naming of club waters and such,i'm a member of salford anglers and one of our rules is exactly that,no directions either,club book has all necessary info for members or bailiffs phone numbers....well done last night too

bigfish74

Reaction score
My mo ey is going to warri gton this year .many great waters father in law as been in both for uearsbut only uses warrington nowadays so 40 hears experience tells me

Andy

justin ackroyd

Reaction score
cant believe so many are in the same boat. Have'nt joined yet, but im going for warrington.
Good value and laods to go at

jacksharp

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Just noticed this thread. I have been in Prince Albert but never made enough use of it. It was around the time of the secretary/treasurer with 2 sets of books, scandal.

I was also a member of Warrington around 10 yrs ago and, working part-time, I was up at dawn every Friday and off to the Ribble at Balderstone barbel fishing. Absolutely wonderful water and brilliant fishing. Then Clitheroe Fly Fishers poached the water out from under Warrington and I lost interest.

Now thinking of joining Lymm to add a bit of balance to the post!

sumtime

Reaction score
I was in the Lymm a long time ago, some excellent waters where my youngest son and I visited at least once a week. The canal at Sankey had/has some big Pike in.

jacksharp

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I am now a member of Lymm Angling Club and can attest to the number of first-class stillwaters, rivers (Severn, Dane, Vyrnwy, Weaver) and canals on the card. Well worth a look and particularly great value for the over 65's and anyone with a Blue Badge.

mikench

Reaction score
hey guys thanks for the info, much appreciated. Still undecided though! Ive put my name on the PAAS waiting list today. Takes upto 3 years but suppose might as well get on it now.

again thanks
Harvey

Are you in and how long did it take?

lee_j

Reaction score
I'm in paas mate , worth the 3yr wait the waters map book is as thick as the yellow pages pal and there's some stunners you've got to watch for specific water rules and water closures as they close waters for a month unless you have a work party stamp,prepare to be spoilt for choice

Keith Williams

Reaction score
You’ll be stuck with the Warrington AA card as the waiting list for Lymm in 2023 is 500+ anglers !
Get on the waiting list!

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
The post is 10 years old , but regarding waiting list for Lymm , you are only on it a few months ,
It's something they have recently introduced.Tge plan at the time was get membership to around 2000 and keep it there , also raise subs over a 3-5 year period .
I gave my Lymm card up after 35+ years ,held various official posts within the club during that time .
Gave WAA card up after 60 years .
if I was joining to clubs today in Cheshire area , they would be WAA and Bay Malton . Lymm is ok if you want to catch carp and catfish. Most of their Stillwater's have them in . They are trying to make
Grimsditch mill a tench ,crucian and silvers water.

mikench

Reaction score
There is no waiting list for WAA but the book for Bay Malton is closed for 2023. Of the two I prefer BM as they have fewer but better maintained waters. Those two clubs plus PAAS meet all my fishing needs.