Cottam 2100 River trent

megawatt

Reaction score
permits are now available for the Cottam 2100 Club which owns the angling rights to a fine length of the tidal Trent and lake alongside Cottam Power Station, near Rampton village.

Many of the pegs have car parking behind them and the river is home to top quality barbell well into double figures as well as wild carp and bream for the specimen anglers.

Good river pike and perch as well as the elusive zander are available for the predator hunters.

For the pleasure anglers there are abundant nets of roach, skimmers and hybrids etc.

All this costs £20 a year

For further information

Call or Text Steve on 07534305885

Last edited:

lee_j

Reaction score
No mate , I've spoke to the bloke who says it's private and not open for membership

flightliner

Reaction score
So can anyone join?
In the past yes, must say I,m surprised to hear that it's not so today ????.
I used to fish the stretch with my dad as a boy on the old S&DAA book and years later I held membership of the Cottom power station club in the late eighties /early nineties.
I renewed my membership some ten years ago but have since let it go .
Good stick float country.:)

megawatt

Reaction score
Steve has roughly 20 memberships left available for the stretch and the lakes

---------- Post added at 14:24 ---------- Previous post was at 14:23 ----------

Give him a call 07534305885

flightliner

Reaction score
Where does the stretch start and end towards torksey or after rampton island?
Rampton island used to be the freehold property of the old Sheffield and district angling association, tho since the club no longer functions I believe it was given to another club active on the tidal reaches.
The cottom clubs water starts some way below it and to the best of my knowledge extends as far downstream as the now unused railway bridge near Torksey.
Things may have altered since I last fished there but I hope the above helps .

strat100z

Reaction score
Thank you very much it most certainly does :).so on google earth the lake behind that stretch must be there carp water.

flightliner

Reaction score
Most likely, there were carp in the lake when I was a member but it was a few years ago so things could have changed somewhat.
ps-- have a run down there and have a walk around, also take care down the track to the section of river as its a very long one, maybe over a mile that used to be badly rutted , it was a thing with me at the time only having a small car that didnt help on the day.

Last edited:

strat100z

Reaction score
There is always a catch isnt there,a mile or so walk or risk the car :eek:mg:Will be going for a look this weekend

strat100z

Reaction score
Had a good look round this weekend and the stretch goes from just before rampton island to the the disused railway bridge,it was really tonking through near the bridge but didn't seem as wild round the bends towards rampton island.never fished the trent before so was really awe struck and wondering can you really fish it when it's tonking through like that or do you go to the slower bits.:confused:

flightliner

Reaction score
Had a good look round this weekend and the stretch goes from just before rampton island to the the disused railway bridge,it was really tonking through near the bridge but didn't seem as wild round the bends towards rampton island.never fished the trent before so was really awe struck and wondering can you really fish it when it's tonking through like that or do you go to the slower bits.:confused:

Had the tide just turned or had it been running off for a longish period ????

strat100z

Reaction score
It was just reaching high tide

---------- Post added at 02:57 ---------- Previous post was at 02:50 ----------

Think I got that wrong,high tide at Hull was at 06.10 and around 3hrs to cottam (guess) so it must have been running off for a couple of hours as I was there about 1ish.need.

flightliner

Reaction score
When you go with the gear to fish try and arrive just before the top of the tide which will give you a small window to get a little bait on the deck when it stands a little time before running off .
when it gets up to "full speed " drop a stick into the water and count how long it takes to reach a given point.
When its been running off for a couple of hours or more repeat with another stick (two coffee stirers from mac donalds being the same size will be perfect), you should see that the pace has increased with the water getting shallower , not a lot but enough to be noticable.
Sometimes not always reqd as a feeder will suddenly begin to "kedge" when before it didnt.
Handy to know as you can bait up accordingly.
It wont make much differance to the barbel but it's all grist to the mill that can often be helpfull for smaller silverfish
On the rig I usually just add a strip of lead to compensate, that or an old fashioned "dead cow" lead.
Hope this helps.

dessyb

Reaction score
got a txt from steve this morning saying there is no more fishing at cottam club has closed down. ive been fishing cottam for 30= years what

flightliner

Reaction score
got a txt from steve this morning saying there is no more fishing at cottam club has closed down. ive been fishing cottam for 30= years what
That confirms what I was told during the last close season on account of the power station being de commissioned or mothballed.
A great pity in many ways , one being that just below the club waters angling can become difficult as on low tides often expose vast sheets of mud that make it impossible to land any fish amongst other obstructions.