Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  7
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fed up!

Default Re: Fed up!

Quote Originally Posted by Tee-Cee View Post
    £40 a year!! Fantastic value for money with so much water on offer.

What a steal for local anglers, and on one of the best rivers in the country....
    Yes I nearly fall off my perch at the prices quoted for some clubs.
    Those prices are only for the younger bods. Cheaper for us old f*rts.

Blog Entries

[QUOTE=hope it helps flightliner.[/QUOTE]

Yes, many thanks, the reason I ask is that I have an very old Sheffield and district members book dated 1937 and it clearly states that the island is the freehold property of the club but--- I was in Chapmans a couple of years back buying a pair of rods and entered into a conversation with one of the staff who told me that after the Sheffield club folded Scunny were offered the freehold to the island at no cost.
    A very generous gift.
    back in the late fifties my dad and uncle used to take me and my brother to fish off the island after legging it all the way downstream from laneham ferry to the deep water on the far side ( stret pegging for the roach) and on one particular afternoon the tide caught us out and we were all marooned for hours until it turned and lowered, we JUST caught the coach back home but it was a very close call.
    Another sad ocasion was when we saw two young local lads ride downstream on their pushbikes with swimming gear.
    A few hours later the police recovered both their bodies them having drowned.
    A very sad occasion rip.
    Anybody fishing down there please take great care , it's really good but can be remarkebly deceptive as the immediate upstream section is the shallowest section of the tidal river--- it does make a BIG differance!!.

I joined a new club this year and I had to pay a joining fee plus subscription and it came to about £150. Best money I ever spent. Really local, park by your swim and I've already been about 12 times in a month so dafinately getting my monies worth.

Quote Originally Posted by flightliner View Post
    back in the late fifties my dad and uncle used to take me and my brother to fish off the island after legging it all the way downstream from laneham ferry to the deep water on the far side ( stret pegging for the roach) and on one particular afternoon the tide caught us out and we were all marooned for hours until it turned and lowered, we JUST caught the coach back home but it was a very close call.
    Ha no health and safety concerns in those days.That reminds me of when my uncle used to take my brother and I to Torksey Island,you can see it on the map I posted,we would walk along the railway line half way across the Trent and then climb down a rope to fish of the island,I vaguely recall having to be hauled up tied to the rope after fishing 😄.
    Just a point about Rampton Island,it doesn't refer to the small island that you recklessly waded out to flightliner,as I presume that comes under Laneham AC,
    the "island" doesn't exist anymore as it silted up and was claimed back to the land.On my map you can just make out where it used to be as a bulge into the river,and our stretch finishes at the end of that,I think I may have stolen a few yards from Laneham with my last red dot 😊.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12