Fed up!

markluker

Reaction score
I am utterly fed up with the fact that there are not many clubs local to me and those that are local are ridiculously priced.

Someone suggested researching and starting my own club/association/syndicate, which I know would be hard work.

Has anyone had any experience at trying this?

sam vimes

Reaction score
You've given no hint as to which part of the world you are in. It might be worth saying then you might get some suggestions of alternatives. You've also failed to mention what you consider a sensible price. What you think is ridiculous price might be quite understandable.

I can offer some insight into why clubs may be priced as they are. The first thing to consider is that most clubs are not rolling in money. Ticket prices are usually set at a level which will see them break even in a worst case scenario. They cover their rents and hope to accrue a surplus to fund future projects or future worst case scenarios. If a club really is expensive, it'll be because they rent a large portfolio of waters, their waters have high rents, they have a diminishing membership or they foresee a large financial outlay looming.

dicky123

Reaction score
100% right Sam. All run for the membership as far as I know?

Sadly many clubs grow little Hitlers on the committees, I'm in one of those, and the other club I'm in many committee members have resigned recently.

I've never been in a club where I feel the price for fishing is too much. Enough, but never too much I feel cheated. Many of the stocked carp waters are simply crazy, charging anglers almost by the minute.

I'd happy pay 20/30 pounds for a winters days Grayling fishing, but sadly there is not any place near to me. But that would be my top budget.

I've found generally you get what you pay for in fishing. Can you give Sam and myself an idea of what you're talking about price wise?

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I would tend to go along with Sam and ****y inasmuch as "ridiculously priced" is a very relative term.

What some would consider reasonable others would say is extortionate . . . . . .

Both of the successful local clubs in my area each charge around £140 per year for membership and then with add ons for some of the "premium" venues and night fishing tickets . . . . one of those offer membership from £12.50 per month but on an annual basis, so you pay monthly. they also offer Holiday memberships too.

B.t.w. Whereabouts are you located?

Last edited:

steve w

Reaction score
I've only just spotted this thread,but it makes me realise how lucky I am.Im a bailiff with probably the best value club in the country.Scunthorpe Amalgamated Anglers,formally Pisces,and before that Scunthorpe Police Angling.Just £40 a year for six stretches of the river Trent,nine other rivers and canals plus seven still waters.one of those stretches of Trent is worth the money on its own.
Areas covered from a lake on the south bank of the Humber,the Trent valley past Newark,to the Aire and Calder canal in Yorkshire.
That's a whole years fishing,12months from date the book is purchased,for the price of eight day tickets.I don't think you can beat that for value.

flightliner

Reaction score
I've only just spotted this thread,but it makes me realise how lucky I am.Im a bailiff with probably the best value club in the country.Scunthorpe Amalgamated Anglers,formally Pisces,and before that Scunthorpe Police Angling.Just £40 a year for six stretches of the river Trent,nine other rivers and canals plus seven still waters.one of those stretches of Trent is worth the money on its own.
Areas covered from a lake on the south bank of the Humber,the Trent valley past Newark,to the Aire and Calder canal in Yorkshire.
That's a whole years fishing,12months from date the book is purchased,for the price of eight day tickets.I don't think you can beat that for value.

Steve, are scunny now the freeholders of Rampton Island near Cottom power station by any chance ?.

steve w

Reaction score
Yes,we have it on our book,but there's an on going struggle with access.Theres no access for vehicles but you can park by the style on the concrete ramp and then walk along the bank.
Our stretch starts above where the drain enters and then upstream to the end of the "island".Its a long walk to the deeper water and also very overgrown.If you want to fish the first hundred yards or so you need to know when the tides are high.At low tide this area is shallow and muddy and getting close to the water is nigh on impossible.
We don't have our signs up yet,and on the style it will say Cottam ac,but as long as you don't fish downstream of the drain you ok.
So it's either check your tides or a long walk.Hope this helps.

---------- Post added at 10:23 ---------- Previous post was at 08:57 ----------

Good grief! I've managed to put a photo up.
Well if this works it should show Rampton Island,first red dot is parking,then start and end of our stretch.
With apologies to the opening poster for high jacking the thread,but I hope it's of some use in showing that there are some value for money clubs around as Rampton Island is one of the 6 stretches of the Trent on offer from Scunthorpe Amalgamated Anglers for £40.

john step

Reaction score
I think this is quite an old thread and the poster has not been back to clarify his location so may be has found somewhere.
I do feel some folk just appear to glean some info and not participate and just disappear disgruntled.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
£40 a year!! Fantastic value for money with so much water on offer.

What a steal for local anglers, and on one of the best rivers in the country....

I'm living in the wrong at of the country!!

....Oh, and top job for bringing in to everyone's attention - only on FM!

Is the OP still posting - I don't recall seeing his name in recent times?

Last edited:

steve w

Reaction score
Probably right John,I don't even know what area he was from,but hopefully it will help someone.I amazed myself by being able to put a photo up with me being old and a technophobe ?,hope it helps flightliner.
Yes Tee-cee,great value,maybe I should keep quiet or they will want to put the price up ?.

john step

Reaction score
£40 a year!! Fantastic value for money with so much water on offer.

What a steal for local anglers, and on one of the best rivers in the country....

Yes I nearly fall off my perch at the prices quoted for some clubs.
Those prices are only for the younger bods. Cheaper for us old f*rts.

flightliner

Reaction score
hope it helps flightliner.[/QUOTE said:
Yes, many thanks, the reason I ask is that I have an very old Sheffield and district members book dated 1937 and it clearly states that the island is the freehold property of the club but--- I was in Chapmans a couple of years back buying a pair of rods and entered into a conversation with one of the staff who told me that after the Sheffield club folded Scunny were offered the freehold to the island at no cost.
A very generous gift.
back in the late fifties my dad and uncle used to take me and my brother to fish off the island after legging it all the way downstream from laneham ferry to the deep water on the far side ( stret pegging for the roach) and on one particular afternoon the tide caught us out and we were all marooned for hours until it turned and lowered, we JUST caught the coach back home but it was a very close call.
Another sad ocasion was when we saw two young local lads ride downstream on their pushbikes with swimming gear.
A few hours later the police recovered both their bodies them having drowned.
A very sad occasion rip.
Anybody fishing down there please take great care , it's really good but can be remarkebly deceptive as the immediate upstream section is the shallowest section of the tidal river--- it does make a BIG differance!!.

Teabreak

Reaction score
I joined a new club this year and I had to pay a joining fee plus subscription and it came to about £150. Best money I ever spent. Really local, park by your swim and I've already been about 12 times in a month so dafinately getting my monies worth. :)

steve w

Reaction score
back in the late fifties my dad and uncle used to take me and my brother to fish off the island after legging it all the way downstream from laneham ferry to the deep water on the far side ( stret pegging for the roach) and on one particular afternoon the tide caught us out and we were all marooned for hours until it turned and lowered, we JUST caught the coach back home but it was a very close call.
Ha no health and safety concerns in those days.That reminds me of when my uncle used to take my brother and I to Torksey Island,you can see it on the map I posted,we would walk along the railway line half way across the Trent and then climb down a rope to fish of the island,I vaguely recall having to be hauled up tied to the rope after fishing ?.
Just a point about Rampton Island,it doesn't refer to the small island that you recklessly waded out to flightliner,as I presume that comes under Laneham AC,
the "island" doesn't exist anymore as it silted up and was claimed back to the land.On my map you can just make out where it used to be as a bulge into the river,and our stretch finishes at the end of that,I think I may have stolen a few yards from Laneham with my last red dot ?.