Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathrow and the A3

Default Blenheim : Final agenda

Ahoy Shipmates !

The day is almost upon us so here is the Agenda.

1.Meet at Blenheim Palace Main Gates at 0615. Try to work out who is who.

2. Process majestically up drive to car park avoiding peacocks if poss.

3. Unload gear,greet rest of crews,exchange ritual abuse

4. Harangue me for forgetting gate codes [6220]

5. Proceed to dock

6. Applaud properly dressed pirates. Boo all who haven't bothered

7. Embark & set sail

8.Return to dock for bait

9. Set sail again.

10. Blank

11. Return to dock,disembark.

12.Proceed to Diamond Farm Park marvelling at Spiders new record tench.

13. Erect shelters.

14. Beer,food & presentation

15. More beer.

For those with Sat Navs Blenheim is OX20 1PP....for those without its still OX20 1PP. Follow the signs for Woodstock,Blenheim Palace & then kep an eye out for a **** dressed in pirate gear. That will be me !

Diamond Farm lies alongside the B4027 road to Bletchingdon,
    1 mile from the A34, 7 miles north of Oxford
    and 3 miles south of Junction 9 of the M40.
    The Park is well signposted from the A34 road.

Postcode OX5 3DR

Latest weather forecast is not brilliant. Cloudy,breezy,14 degrees but for the most part dry. Not great tench weather...I'm going perching.

Any questions get them in quick as I'm away early tomorrow and not back until teatime earliest. Ray knows the whole Blenheim gig better than me and Spiders plus a couple of other brave souls are fishing Friday...and good luck to them too because the weather looks a bit ugly.

See you Saturday...and I hope everyone has a good day.

Skippy

We'll decide what time we're fishing till on the day. The nights are drawing in now and those staying over will probably want to find the park & get their whatevers erected before dark. That mean's being back at the dock by 6-ish latest I reckon but that's just my view...Clarkey will probably want to fish until midnight !
    Last edited by S-Kippy; 23-09-2010 at 21:32.

brave souls fishing friday, unc, cakey, jk, and myself
    Perch and tench record holder, and ACA member for twenty years, and Treasurer of P.A.S.C.

I hope you've told the Coastguard when you're due in !

no problem for real seadogs like ourselves
    Perch and tench record holder, and ACA member for twenty years, and Treasurer of P.A.S.C.

First...the good news

The weather forecast now says we are in for a lovely sunny day on Saturday albeit with a crisp northerly breeze.Probably no good for the fishing but very good for not getting soaked.Dry but cold overnight and dry Sunday morning too.Huzzah !

And the bad news

It is 6-15 am as I type this and outside its still as black as your bloody hat !

Before you howl at me for such an early start do remember that Mr Clarke was originally suggesting we meet at 0530 !

I hope somebody has thought about tea making facilities. I am likely to be seriously distressed Sunday morning without a cup of chai !
    Last edited by S-Kippy; 24-09-2010 at 05:27.

Skip, a few questions .
    Do you take landing or keep nets?
    Is 13" rod too long for boat fishing, ie. untangling a rod tip tangle?
    What is the average depth of the lake?
    Would a seat box like the one you sat on at Walton be ok?

Blog Entries

Peter my dear boy
    You can use a 13foot rod with comfort, we can share a landing net but there is room, I never use a keepnet but can't see why you couldn't.
    Seatbox is Ok but 11hours sitting? If you want I'll bring a lightweight chair for you.
    Can't remembner how deep, not very I think

Thanks Fred, I have a small folding chair somewhere, and a slightly larger one. Maybe I will bring all three and choose which is most practical tomorrow .

Quote Originally Posted by peter crabtree View Post
    Skip, a few questions .
    Do you take landing or keep nets?
    Is 13" rod too long for boat fishing, ie. untangling a rod tip tangle?
    What is the average depth of the lake?
    Would a seat box like the one you sat on at Walton be ok?
    Simon

Keep nets are banned.
    One landing net per boat is enough.
    13ft rod is fine.
    Personally I think a chair is better than a seatbox simply because it has a back and 10 hours on a seatbox is a long time. I take a small picnic chair
    Depth varies a lot but nowhere is it bottomless...the usual gig is to tuck yourself into the reeds/lilies & fish out. There are mudweight anchors but also poles to stake the boat which go through loops.They can be ac pain to get in and an even bigger pain to get out but they do keep things pretty steady. If you fish the main basin there is a deeper channel through the middle and the old stream bed.Its not a shallow lake...but neither will you need a slider.

A few tips.

Rod rests are superfluous unless you are going to use a gizmo chair so dont take them. Take a towel or something soft to drape over the gunwhales and lay your rod on that with the butt on your chair/bag/box or whatever. I will take a seat box to carry my gear but also to act as a table and rod rest.

Depending on what side of the lake you fish you will be in shade or have the sun in your face so take sunglasses and an extra fleece. Both can come off if you don't need them.

Its quite a steep path down to the dock.OK going but knackering coming back. I would recommend a trolley of some sort which you can leave at the boathouse.

Skippy

Keepnets are banned at Blenhiem so please don't bring one along.

Landing Nets, we always take one each, if you get into the fish, you may both have fish on at the same time, and I have had this happen many times.

Chair is best, unless you have a seat box with a back rest, then that is fine. Some also take an unhooking mat's for the bottom of the boat to put the fish on.

Travel light as the walk back up the hill after a long day is a killer.

6_15 am is fine, by the time we get to the boathouse it will be just right.

One last thing, for those going for the first time, if your into taken photos have your camera in the car with you.

The view as we drive in is something to behold.

Second last thing, you cannot go under the white bridge with the boats and fish the Queens Pool, it's no fishing and for Queens only, as Cakey won't be there, no one will be fishing it that day....

Third last thing, stay out the main house, i have some more friends coming for an evening meal, and i don't want them to see you lot, they will think i have a Dark side

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast