Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Default Southern river Grayling Fish-in(s)

Who's never caught a grayling? Loads of you, I'll bet, because not everyone has had the chance to fish those relatively few streams where they exist. So let's have some grayling fish-ins this winter!

You won't need a chair, just a single float-rod, a landing net, tin of corn and a couple of pints of maggots; but expect to walk a mile or three in the course of the day. It's a magic fishery chasing the prettiest fish that swims and it will be nice for me to put some faces to forum names at last.

The first day is already booked for Thursday Nov 25th. It's bound to be over subscribed as it's on the usually prolific Lower Itchen Fishery, about an hour's drive south of London near Southampton. If so, I'll try for a day the following week too. We are only having 10 anglers per day max and I already have several people wanting to attend, so please get your names down now asap. Price is a discounted £20 for the day which is a bargain for such quality fishing.

The next date will probably be in mid-December and we'll have another in Jan.

If demand is high enough we can add dates and maybe even add Barton Court on the Kennet as a second venue.

I'll have a whip-around on the day for the Second Chance charity so bring a spare banknote!

Attendance so far on Thurs 25th Nov:
    Positives
    Geoff Maynard
    Jeff Woodhouse
    Frank Guttfield
    Neil Depledge

Probables
    Gary Cullum
    Will Barnard

Possibles
    Cliff Hatton
    So many cormorants.... so few recipes.

I fish it regularly and IMO it's the finest day ticket chalk stream fishing in the south!

Had a day there yesterday and although it was a bit coloured, from recent rain, and lots of rubbish coming down, it was an excellent day.

See a brief report here:

http://bigrainbows.blogspot.com/p/in...-exploits.html

Scroll down the page for the report.

The images are "clickable" and will enlarge - the detail on the Grayling "head shot" and dorsal fin is quite spectacular!
    Last edited by Neil Maidment; 25-10-2010 at 18:13. Reason: Addition and edited link

Blog Entries

Ooops, problem loading page, Neil
    "I care not what others think of what I do, but I care very much about what I think of what I do! That is character!" - Theodore Roosevelt

Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathrow and the A3

Yes please.Count me in on any day where a place is available.

Please count me in as well, I work weekends and so would love the chance to go on a Thursday.

Ray
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.

I would be a possible for a weekend one if you can get one, I love the Lower Itchen.
    I am glad when we moved to fish and fly I did not have my post count carried over, means I can act like a newbie!!

Blog Entries

For a week-end fish-in we'll need another organiser as I have to work every weekend. PM me if you can organise it!

---------- Post added at 23:00 ---------- Previous post was at 22:59 ----------

So are you joining us too Neil?

Quote Originally Posted by geoffmaynard View Post
    .......So are you joining us too Neil?
    Probably not! But if you end up short of the required number then let me know, I might be able to sort something out.

I'm assuming with a booking of 10, the access will be to the normal lower area of the fishery? Still loads of room to wander around and marvellous trotting swims.

With larger numbers, like FM's previous end of season bashes organised by Nigel Connor, often have the upper river as well (the central beats are still off limits). That upper area is really nice.
    Last edited by Neil Maidment; 26-10-2010 at 18:50. Reason: Spelling

Blog Entries

Yes - we have the upper bit too (by the railway bridge). But the central bit is, as you say, off limits

---------- Post added at 20:15 ---------- Previous post was at 20:13 ----------

Too many people make for crowded fishing, that's why I want to keep it to ten.

Quote Originally Posted by geoffmaynard View Post
    Yes - we have the upper bit too (by the railway bridge). But the central bit is, as you say, off limits

---------- Post added at 20:15 ---------- Previous post was at 20:13 ----------

Too many people make for crowded fishing, that's why I want to keep it to ten.

Now I'm tempted! I'll see what I can organise....

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast