River Itchen Grayling Day 24/02/07

• Thread starter Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)
  • Start date

paul sephton

Reaction score
As some you might know I fished here last week and this is the stamp of fish some of us were catching. This is not me, it is of a friend, it weighed 2.09. I had of the same size from a different swim.

ant2.jpg.

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Right! That's it, I can't wait until Saturday, the gears in the car and I'm off tonight!

Cracking Grayling that!!

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Looks like you all had a great time, well done with your catches, some lovely fish there.

I'm a bit worried about the rain though, the forecast aint good!

And now I'm gonna have to take a feeder rod too after reading the report on A.N.

I'm still really looking forward to it, it's gonna be a brilliant day out, I can't wait!

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Well done to the lads from Angler's Net, glad you all had a good time.

S

sash

Any idea what the river conditions will be like Nigel as it's been raining up here for the last 3 days now?

Should I bring my 2lb TC floodwater barbel rods and 6oz grippers just in case? ;o)

paul sephton

Reaction score
All this rain forecast is not going to be good news for your trip. This will bring the river up very quickly. I would recommend you give the bailiff a ring the day before you go, and he will tell what state the river is in and if the track is open. They close the track if the river comes up a lot. Tel:07808 494527

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Panic not brave piscators!!

The forecast for the week down there does not seem that bad.I'll give the bailiff a ring Friday and post then.No refunds for bad weather unless its in the fields so we shall have to take it as we find it.

I might ask him where the roach hole up given the conditions!

Ironic that the Grayling Day on the kennet on the 4th November was perfect for grayling with a hard frost and clear skies!!

Despite Peter loosing his one sided tussle with his Discovery and been laid up, bacon butties are still a goer.If anyone could volunteer to turn up a bit early preferably with another gas burner that would be great.I should be there from around 7.30 with fishing from 8.30.

I've got some Samosas on order and I'll knock up a bit of soup for lunch.?3 or ?4 should cover breakfast and lunch with any extras to the ACA as last time.

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Guys(And Gal)

Just spoken to the owner.River a little on the high side but she is hopeful it will be in good trim by Saturday if here is no more significant rain, as it runs off quite quickly.

Maybe consider white maggots and even bread as these are more visible in turbid water than the usual red maggot.The AN guys did well on bread as a back up bait, Paul was telling me.Not sure of the roach numbers in there but always a chance of one of them in the conditions.

Safe journey all.

Claudia Crowther

Reaction score
Please Please someone turn the tap off!!! I was gutted when it started to chuck down with rain, lets hope it'll stop and the river gets to his normal level.

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
It's rained for most of the day down here (Hampshire) but with tomorrow turning into "light showers" I think it should be OK for Saturday.

Nigel, I should be there at about 7:30. I can't provide a gas burner but I will be bringing a little something of my employers product (just in the interests of product testing you understand).

B

Bully

Reading AN - who is doing the mulled wine then??

Also, I noticed WoL was on that trip? (car stcuk/trashed in mud.....).

Big chub, sea trout, lovely. Any barbel?

Nigel - a big if, but IF I remember I'll get down early and bring a burner.....

paul sephton

Reaction score
Barbel are present in the weir pool by the entrance. Also a bit further up in the stretch before the Cliffs, I hooked one there last year.

Corn is allowed, tried it last weekend but nothing.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Just had a phone call from Jeff, the Itchen is a bit coloured, but looking very good............fingers crossed for no more rain!

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Cheers Steve, as I have been trying to get in touch with the keeper this morning with no success.I'll post when I do.