River Itchen Grayling Day 24/02/07

• Thread starter Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)
  • Start date
S

sash

Bit cheeky and all very last minute....but does anyone have a spare bait apron I could borrow for tomorrow?

No idea where mine's gone (admittedly it hasn't been seen since 1990 odd!) but I've tried buying a new one in all 3 local tackle dealers and all have said "we no longer sell them, there's no demand"!!!!

Would be greatly appreciated and more than worthy of a pint or two in the pub afterwards.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Sorry Sash can't help, have you looked down at B+Q they do workmans tool aprons. A bit of modification might work?

Or just bung em in your pocket like me :)

S

sash

"Or just bung em in your pocket like me"

Now that I've got to see. I can just imagine my Mrs's face when those big blueys start hatching.....Thanks anyway Steve.

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Likewise Sash. I know I've got (had) at least 3 but now can't find one! Tried 4 local tackle shops with results from "what?" to "no demand".

I suppose I could find a ghillie tomorrow but probably couldn't afford one really.

Not too much rain around here today, just a few showers and still very mild. Could be good tomorrow.

S

sash

Perhaps if we club together we could purchase said ghillie Neil?

Perhaps I should pop down early, trawl a few Southampton nightclubs and find a willing female participant? Waders supplied free of charge, bikini compulsory ;o)

S

sash

Need to look the part don't I even if I do end up spending half the day up a tree or two?

Shut it Wol before you say anything about spods and trees....

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Neil,

Give Dave Moody a ring at Witherington Farm Lakes, a couple of weeks ago he had a few in stock - bait aprons that is.

Sash,

I take it that you haven't been to Southampton recently? ;-)

Steve,
"Or just bung em in your pocket like me :)"

You are a lovely fellow, but there is little hope for you my friend, very little hope.

A real Tackle Tart [like what I am] should have at least 3 bait aprons in coordinated colours to match whatever ensemble he has chosen for the day in question.
Mine are: Browning Purple, Milo Blue and Shimano trade colours ;-)

I really do hope that you all have a terrific day on a lovely stretch of river - if I hadn't lost the argument with my Discovery I'd would have been there too . . . . . . . . . . DAMMITTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Claudia Crowther

Reaction score
Peter,
What's wrong with 'banging them in your pocket'??? That's what I will be doing lol

Hope you feeling better....how did the presentation go?

Gentlemen, you think Peter is feeling/looking rough....you haven't seen the Discovery :-( (lol)

P

paul williams 2

Can't join in with the fun tomorrow lads and lasses.......i hope you all have a good one.

J

Jeff ( Lucky ) Spiller

Peter hope your on the mend, forget about the car it's just metal, will put you down for the next James Bond film, they always want good stunt men.

Paul catch you on the next one.

Claudia see you in the morning, don't put the maggots in your pocket till after breakfast, will we need to come and find again ?

Claudia Crowther

Reaction score
Jeff

looks like it lol....just tried the link for the direction, it's telling me 'there are problems with loading the fisheries webpage'.....arrrrrg Heeeelp ...lol....I ordered a sat nav but hasn't arrived yet, so looks like you have to rescue me again lol ;-)

Directions please :-0

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

Via M.27 - Junction 5
(If travelling from the West, or North via M.3)

Take Junction 5 off the M27. At the roundabout under the motorway follow the signs for Southampton (Eastleigh) Airport.
At the next roundabout take the 2nd exit towards Southampton Airport (Wide Lane - A.335) over the railway line to another roundabout by the entrance to the airport.
Take the 3rd exit.
Continue along this roadd to another roundabout.
Take the 1st exit into Mansbridge Road.
Continue along the road through a set of traffic lights, over the river, past the White Swan public house.
The entrance to Lower Itchen Fishery is over a bridge on the left immediately at the bottom of a hill.
Via M.27 - Junction 7
(If travelling from the East)

Take Junction 7.
At the roundabout under the motorway follow the signs for A.27 towards Southampton.
At the next roundabout take the 4th exit signed towards West End.
Continue along this road, across traffic lights.
At the roundabout by the Texaco garage, go straight over.
Go past Haskins Garden Centre on the left and down the hill.
The entrance to Lower Itchen Fishery is over a bridge on the right immediately at the bottom of a hill.

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
It's "chucking it down" here!!

Still, a good flush thro' should do it the world of good.

Don't forget your wellies!

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
It is pretty early here in Paris and I am sitting here imagining a lot of people driving south having set off early towards the Itchen.

The more local anglers will be either getting ready, packing the car, sieving bait and/or filling the thermos flask.

I will miss the great FM craque on arrival at the venue, the chatter, the wind-ups and the bacon butties and tea.

That said, I think it is really terrific that we can all meet together to fish a river in winter, with some having travelled a long way.

I think too that it says an awful lot about our little Internet "home" so full of great characters, albeit ones who can disagree about so many facets of this great sport of ours, and yet still come together for a good day out.

I wish you all tight lines and a great day.

Now, a little personal example of how the FM 'network' has once again proved to me that FM is a great place to be;

As many know I had a little 'argument' with my car last Sunday which resulted in some cracked ribs, bumps, cuts and bruises.

Living on my own it was quite difficult to manage a lot of those daily tasks that are so necessary, and especially things like trying to re-strap my ribs.

So, who turned up to offer help, advice and friendship, my 'lovely' ex-wife?
No way!!!!!

It was Claudia, who I had only met twice before, once at the Gold Valley FM fish in and once for a chat about river fishing.

She made sure that I had anything I needed, re-strapped my ribs and more importantly spent time chatting and making coffee and generally being a real Star

Claudia, Thank You so much.

Not only was Claudia a star, but the number of e-mails I received from lots more FM regulars really cheered me up at a time when I really needed that. So, thanks to all who took the time and the effort - again, what a great place FM is.

Now, get out there and give those lovely Grayling a good run for their money . . . .