River Itchen Grayling Day 24/02/07

• Thread starter Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)
  • Start date
N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

February seemed a long way off when I first mooted this back in November but here we almost are.

The full list of those fishing is as follows:

Me
Wol
Andy Renton
Mike Townsend
Graham Marsden
Sash
Mark Wintle
Paul Williams
Mark Hewitt
Andy Nellist
Bully
Peter Jacobs
Coops
Steve Spiller
Jeff Spiller
Neil Maidment
Matt Brown
Barry Edney
Claudia
Nathan Waller
John Huntley

That makes 21 in total and we are fully paid up. If anyone cannot make it let me know and we can draft in a reserve.

Directions can be found here Directions

The car park should have plenty of room for us all.

Peter J has kindly agreed to lay on bacon butties and tea and coffee. Him and I will be in the fishery car park from 7.30 onwards with hopefully fully functioning stoves, weather permitting. Brown sauce will be provided!

Te rules sate that there is no fishing until 0900.I have got a little relaxation on this and we can be on the water from 0830.

Fishing has to stop one hour after sunset but as most of us will be trotting, it may be a little tricky to go that late.

Fishing is from the entrance to the fishery to Wards Pool and above where the river splits in two to the very top of the fishery. It is single bank only. The stretch between the two is strictly out of bounds. The map on the fishery web-site is very blurred. I have asked them to send me a clean copy and I will photocopy one for everybody.

I did raise the possibility of splitting us in to two groups so as to alternate between the top and bottom beats. I have thought long and hard about this and have decided not to do this for a variety of reasons. The track to the upper beats is open to 4WD vechiles only and as it is a good mile walk, I did not want to compel anyone to fish the upper beats if they did not feel up to the walk. I also spoke to Paul from Anglers Net who have had fish ins here with 20 people for the last 4 years and he says lack of space or swim hogging has never been a problem. Lets see how it goes on this occasion. I am sure we will go again and if it doesn’t work this time we can try things out differently next time. I am sure we can rely on everyone’s good sense to spread out along the two miles of the fishery and not fish on top of each other at the bottom end.

There is a fish hut at Pike Pool and I propose we all meet up for lunch at say 12.45? I’ll gladly lay on a spot of hot food again although I heard a little rumour that FM's balti king may be cooking up something special.

There is a pub next door to the fishery, the White Swan, which does a mean carvery by all accounts.If you want to eat after the fishing perhaps you could post so I can give them some idea of numbers although getting a table should not be a problem at that time I would not have thought.Hopefully we can all make it for at least a pint to toast the ladies!

Relevant Rules are as follows:

No worms

No spinning or lures allowed.

No fly fishing

No rubbish/litter to be left on bank.

No dogs

All fish to be returned. No keepnets for carp or game fish, including grayling.

No sub-letting of rods i.e no sharing of rods with non-paying guests.

Hopefully we will get a rain free period to allow some of the colour to drop out between now and the day. Word is that the fish do run large with a few 3lbers but they can be hard to locate so a mobile approach is the key.

Any questions let me know.

See you all next Saturday!!

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

Will the Bacon be smoked or unsmoked?

Wendy Perry 2

Reaction score
i will be there as well to help with anything that needs doing. If someone pulls out don't worry i'll have my rods with me ;)

B

Bully

Looking forward to it Nige. I do have one potential issue. I managed to partly severe the end of my thumb 2 weeks ago. It was only the flesh bit however having just come back from skiing its looking really yuk now I have taken the dressing off.

If it was tomorrow I'd have to pull out. Hopefully should be OK but I'll keep you posted.........

J

Jeff ( Lucky ) Spiller

Nigel are you going to start a Kitty in the morning, so we can all chip in for the food, don't want anyone out of pocket.

C

Coops

No less clumsy then Bully! (he said sympathetically) :)

Roll on! I've got two days on a prime stretch of the Kennet tomorrow and Saturday after barbel and a day on the Itchen next week after grayling. Could a February, or life in general, get any better?

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Put me down for the carvery Nigel.

Looking forward to this one and I think the forecast looks pretty good. Not too much rain so the river could be in good nick for Saturday week. It's a bit high and pushing through and somewhat coloured at the moment.

S

sash

A question for anyone who's been before please -

Waders or boots? Is there a need for wading at all or would boots be better for the walks involved?

P

paul williams 2

Tonight the exhaust on my car started to blow........i am hoping and praying i finish work early enough to get it done before Friday.....else i'm up the creek without a paddle! :(

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Bodge it up with some GumGum Paul!

It'll get you there and back, you can't miss this one! If you can get to my place you can stay over and travel down with me and Jeff.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Not to hijack another thread, I though I'd let you know what happened on Sunday.

I was unloading a bed from the back of the LR when it began to roll backwards (I hadn't put it into 'Park' properly) and for those who know my place will remember the uphill parking position.
The car dragged me backwards as it gathered speed and I managed to slip down underneath the rear bumper, otherwise I'd have been crushed when the car hit the wall at the bottom of the driveway.

To cut a long story short - I ended up with a mass of scrapes, cuts and bruises and a couple of cracked ribs.

So, I will not be fishing the Itchen as its impossible to hold a rod, even for a couple of minutes (I tried in the garage yesterday) so Nigel, please offer my place to the next on the list, and donate the ticket money to the ACA.

I will try to get down there but at the moment I'm not sure how I'll be feeling, but if not then I'll be thinking of you all, and wishing I'd not been so bloody daft!

Jeff, Claudia will have a 'pin for you and a couple of 506's for GM as well - all loaded with new line as I did that before the accident!

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Peter,

I had not realised you had actually gone under the car.A lucky escape indeed.I am sure we all wish you a speedy recovery.

S

sash

Is anyone staying overnight i.e. after the day, especially those travelling a fair distance. Matt, Mike etc? Not sure if I should book in somewhere or drive back on the same night.

Matt Brown

Reaction score
Peter, I'm sorry to hear that. I hope you make it down, at least for a chat.

Sash, I'm down in Reading tomorrow and shall be fishing elsewhere for a day or two (not sure where yet, but I have a few ideas).

I haven't yet decided if I will be driving back on the Sunday night or the Monday morning.

P

paul williams 2

Peter.....close shave mate, we all have them at some time and what could have happened don't bear thinking about! heal fast.