Wensum fish-in, anyone?

MarkTheSpark

Reaction score
Every year, I have a weekend on the Wensum at Taverham Mill with a few mates. Usually a couple of weeks after the start of the season.

The great thing about Taverham isn't the fishing - though it's not bad - but the accommodation on site and the sheer beauty of the place. I'd love to extend the invitation for the weekend to my FM friends, as I did last year.

Take a look at the website for Taverham Mill - and let me know if you could be up for it. Also, your preferred weekend or, if you'd prefer (and it's a good move, as the place can be popular) midweek dates.

You'll have to cough up for the accommodation but I'll run the traditional barbecue.

MarkTheSpark

Reaction score
Looks a great spot Mark, only problem would be the 350 mile round trip, unless I could persuade my wife (fine weather catcher) to go. I think it's just too far for me.

It's only 15 mins bus ride to Norwich - send her shopping! No, seriously, I understand. That's the main reason I've been to no FM fish-ins, which are usually 350 miles south or north.

MarkTheSpark

Reaction score
I'd join you for the day Mark! its only 55 miles down the road.....

That would be excellent; so, we meet at last Bond....

I'm looking at 26 -28 June (Wednesday-Friday) at the moment. As I say, midweek avoids the inevitable weekend rush. If anyone has an overriding reason why they can't take a couple of days off work, and has to fish the weekend, I'll switch to 28 to 30. But I'd rather not.

Roll up, roll up.

chav professor

Reaction score
That would be excellent; so, we meet at last Bond....

I'm looking at 26 -28 June (Wednesday-Friday) at the moment. As I say, midweek avoids the inevitable weekend rush. If anyone has an overriding reason why they can't take a couple of days off work, and has to fish the weekend, I'll switch to 28 to 30. But I'd rather not.

Roll up, roll up.

Definitely make one of those......

Skoda

Reaction score
I'm sure I'd be able to make a day at least, it's only 20 miles for me. Probably 26th and/or 27th, (28th wife's birthday):)

Andy

MarkTheSpark

Reaction score
That's great, Andy. There will be two or three of my mates there, so I think I now need to ensure we have some rooms and fishing booked. I'm going to go for 26 to 28 June (Two nights) in the full understanding that not everyone will want to stay both of them.

So now I need to know who is going to stay:
26th June
27th June
Both nights
26th day ticket
27th day ticket

Please take a look at the Taverham Mill website and appraise yourself of the rules; night fishing, for example, is only allowed if you have a season ticket or are paying for accommodation (which does seem to rather negate the purpose of paying for accommodation!).

If I can get a quick idea of possible numbers, I can get some rooms reserved.

chav professor

Reaction score
That's great, Andy. There will be two or three of my mates there, so I think I now need to ensure we have some rooms and fishing booked. I'm going to go for 26 to 28 June (Two nights) in the full understanding that not everyone will want to stay both of them.

So now I need to know who is going to stay:
26th June
27th June
Both nights
26th day ticket
27th day ticket

Please take a look at the Taverham Mill website and appraise yourself of the rules; night fishing, for example, is only allowed if you have a season ticket or are paying for accommodation (which does seem to rather negate the purpose of paying for accommodation!).

If I can get a quick idea of possible numbers, I can get some rooms reserved.

Hi Mark, I won't be needing accomodation...... Hotel Van de Combo or home... looking forward to it!

csmith10

Reaction score
I could certainly be interested in this as I'm only an hour away and would only fish one of the days, how much is the day ticket for the river as I can only see a season ticket price on the website

Cheers

split shot

Reaction score
I might come and give you a look, I live in Taverham.
It must be 20 years since I've fished the Mills.

Skoda

Reaction score
I live quite local so no room for me but I'll be up for the 26th and/or possibly the 27th, which night's the BBQ?:)

Andy

MarkTheSpark

Reaction score
I think we'll do the barbecue the first day, 26th, so we get it out of the way before anyone gets too engrossed in the fishing. And for the earlier post, the day ticket prices are HERE £11.50 or £23 for 24 hours.

Skoda

Reaction score
Thanks Mark, I'll fish the 26th and scoff your delicious BBQ, (will bring some local sausages, smashing).
Cheers
Andy:)

MarkTheSpark

Reaction score
I'll be compiling a list in a while, when I'm sure I have some numbers for Taverham.

Can't beat a Norfolk sausage - free-range, I hope!

---------- Post added at 17:26 ---------- Previous post was at 17:23 ----------

I could certainly be interested in this as I'm only an hour away and would only fish one of the days, how much is the day ticket for the river as I can only see a season ticket price on the website

Cheers

See my reply above. We'll need some names along the way. I'm guessing Mr Smith but we're on first-name terms on FM...

---------- Post added at 17:27 ---------- Previous post was at 17:26 ----------

I might come and give you a look, I live in Taverham.
It must be 20 years since I've fished the Mills.

Then you can share some local knowledge with us! Be good to see you there. I presume your name isn't really Mr Shot....

csmith10

Reaction score
Smith....Chris smith!lol put me down for the 26th please

MarkTheSpark

Reaction score
Chris brings up a valid point; if you look closely at the website, you'll see the river's only available on a season permit or if you stay overnight in the hut.

The day permit charges are for the lakes, about 400 yards away from the river. For this reason, the barbecue won't be one of those where you turn up your bite alarms to full blast and let them interrupt your hot dog!

Hope that explains....

MarkTheSpark

Reaction score
I’m just firming up the numbers for the Wensum barbecue and fish-in. I have PMd everyone who said they might fancy a day out and barbecue.
My plan is to have the barbecue on the 26th at around 5pm; Rich as Taverham has given us permission to use the car park behind the accommodation block. Any beer contribution would be very welcome or if you have any particularly fine sausages or other quality comestibles, I’ll burn them to a cinder for you…
It would probably be wise to pre-book your day ticket with Rich (01603 861014). If you’ve reconsidered staying the night, let me know via PM and I’ll get your name on a bed for the night. This will also get your permission to fish the river, otherwise you’ll be tenching/carping on the lakes.
Finally, could you ensure I can connect your FM name with your real name? I’m not brill at remembering this stuff, being over 55 and eligible to join Saga…

Mark Williams, aka MarkTheSpark. email me at mark{at}thewideangle.net or text on 07720 769869

barbelboi

Reaction score
Hope you guys have a good time, although I love Norfolk and have spent a lot of time fishing there in the past, it's a bit of a trip - especially as I have a lot of one day fish'ins closer to home over the next few months booked with other groups which are more to my liking these days.
Jerry