LIF Fish in

Rog Hill

Reaction score
An excellent FM fish-in again and good to meet up with the usual faces, hopefully see you all again on the Wye next year.

There were far more grayling caught this time than any of my previous visits, albeit majority below the pound. Amazingly after the deluge we experienced at the start of the week the river was very low and gin clear, which as you'd expect put paid to the roach fishing even in the lower fishery known swims. Still it was pleasing to get a bend in the rod on most trots which added to a very enjoyable if tiring day.

Hope everyone had a safe trip home and look forward to meeting up again.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
After 3 wives (and Mothers-In Law) do you think I'd be scared of S-Kippy?

;)

I should hope not.....unless you start fiddling with your alarms and shining your head torch in my face in which case you might want to reconsider.

A very enjoyable day yesterday and great to see everybody again. I was a bit concerned about Big Phil given his new knee so I said we'd stay on the lower bit rather than have him hiking across the field upstream with a dodgy pin. If he was to go down you'd need a tractor to get him out so he set himself up in a spot where he could sit down all day.

I wandered about a bit but not as much as everybody else and there were shed loads of fish everywhere. I must have had upwards of 60 -70 grayling but only 3 of those were around the pound mark...the majority being 6-8 oz stamp. Great fun it it did get slightly boring towards the end as it was clear there were few fish of any great size around. To that add 4 sea trout ( one fresh, the others less so) a very pretty brownie of around 2.5lb and a couple of Parr.

No eels and no brim. God Save the Queen !

Phil had a terrific day. Fishing a bit lighter ( 18 to 2lb bottom) he had as many grayling as me but with 5/6 better fish to about 1-4 and 7 big dog chub from the 10 he hooked with the best 5lb or so. He also had a couple of sea trout and a brownie and more to the point lasted the day without too much discomfort from his knee.

An excellent day out. Especially ejoyed Rog trying to stop getting mud on his new motor and the way Graham seemed to be on both banks at the same time. I also learned that swim depth is now measured in cms .......I must have missed that .

Good day....but where are the coarse fish ? That river ought to be alive with dace but I've never caught or seen a single one.

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
Good to meet all again even if just for a quick chat.

Started above the road bridge .on hemp and caster and soon picking up a grayling a trot. Like Jerry probably best just over 1and half with maybe 4 or 5 over the pound and about 60 between 1 and 12oz.

Continued my search for roach, including watching 4 carp including a koi all over double figures in the house area.

Biggest problem was the water was pretty much gin clear and low so the mill race overflow and opposite the house and steps were no go areas. Caught a few grayling and trout in the fast swill of the mill.

Had a walk upstream and pleased Phil was catching some clonking chub.
My search for roach continued without success. I really wonder if they are really around in any numbers or simply cant compete with the rampant grayling around.

Last couple of casts into darkness saw me connect in the house swim and get stuffed by what i assume was one of the carp.

Thanks to Ray for organising and to Skips for taking over.

I think probably my last trip to LIF wjth other grayling waters giving less but bigger fish.

If there if enough interest i will look at arranging a FM Fish In on the Warks Avon next Summer.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Graham

I think you're right on both counts about the roach. Not many of them and no chance given the hordes of grayling. That said you'd think you'd pick the odd one up by accident. I've had one Chub off the LIF and thats the only coarse fish I've ever had there......excluding Clarkies pet eels.

Im up for the Avon....just not on a blazing hot cloudless day.

Skippy

fruitowl

Reaction score
Sounds like you guys had another good day would have been nice to have been their but circumstances meant otherwise.

As for the Avon would be very interested, need to have a better year fishing next year not been out since July this year really has been a tester.