Northern Angling Show

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
This year the date of the NAS is the 23/24 February. At Event City opposite the Trafford Centre Manchester. If any members of fishing magic are going,pay a visit to Lymm Angling Clubs stand and say hello. I will be on there both days.Also pay a visit to the Get Hooked On Fishing stand and have a go on the raffle. This is a well deserving charity that helps underprivileged families and kids get into fishing.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
The show went well, I met a couple of members off here who stopped for a chat,We did well with renewals and new memberships, Pity I wasn't on commission. The club presented a cheque to our designated charity, Get Hooked On Fishing, as I have mentioned before do outstanding work for kids and underprivileged families,also holding family days and fun days at various places.

JJW

Reaction score
Went to the show, was massively disappointed.

I don't think there's anything wrong with having a show almost entirely dedicated to a single species, but I think it would have been a good idea to have put it in the name of the show.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Went to the show, was massively disappointed.

I don't think there's anything wrong with having a show almost entirely dedicated to a single species, but I think it would have been a good idea to have put it in the name of the show.

It's no secret that it's predominantly a carp show. However, my experience is that it's slowly becoming less exclusively so. If the more general coarse anglers don't go, then the more general coarse tackle companies won't go. It's a vicious circle. The sad thing is that, until the Yorkshire Fishing Show gets going, it's probably the only angling show, of any kind, north of Birmingham.

flightliner

Reaction score
I'd go but not Manchester. I have three choices to get there, snake pass, woodhead pass or the long way up the M1 to Leeds and then along the M62.
All horrible drives for me which is a pity.

JJW

Reaction score
Was a bit of a drive for me. M1 then Woodhead pass also, which looked rather glorious in the sunshine on Saturday so I did enjoy the drive up actually. Never expected the weather to be so stunning when I booked my ticket!

I used to attend the Go Fishing Show at the NEC which was a truly all-encompassing affair, I was expecting this to be similar. I don't have anything against carp or carp fishing but it's not really my thing, and I'd have liked to have known before hand that it was a hall full of bivvies and boilies and nowt much else!

I did find a tiny, and I mean tiny, stand selling soft plastic jigs and things, so I spent a few quid there though, but as light lure fishing is such a growth area in fishing in the UK I expected to find a lot more of it.

At least I know for next year!

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
A couple of the major companies like Daiwa and Preston Innovations have not been for the past two years. Roger Surgay was there last year doing a decent trade,but not this year. A couple of the smaller independent stands were complaining, A couple of stands left it to the very last minute to book and got a cheaper rate. Someone got charged 40 quid to move 4 pallets of pellets 20 yards. food and drink expensive as usual, 8 quid for hotdog and chips in a polystyrene tray, with all the bivvies and camping stoves etc on show it seemed like a camping exhibition.I am trying to talk the wife into going to the Yorkshire angling show at harrogate

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
A couple of the major companies like Daiwa and Preston Innovations have not been for the past two years. Roger Surgay was there last year doing a decent trade,but not this year. A couple of the smaller independent stands were complaining, A couple of stands left it to the very last minute to book and got a cheaper rate. Someone got charged 40 quid to move 4 pallets of pellets 20 yards. food and drink expensive as usual, 8 quid for hotdog and chips in a polystyrene tray, with all the bivvies and camping stoves etc on show it seemed like a camping exhibition.I am trying to talk the wife into going to the Yorkshire angling show at harrogate

EIGHT QUID for a sausage dog 'n chips!

You can be sure Binka wouldn't go to that show since he likes his sausages as it would have cost him a fortune !

Maybe he will reply to this since it involves sausages......wier et'a Ste? !

JJW

Reaction score
I walked over to the Trafford Centre for lunch. Seeing lots of people with bags from the show on the way over, I wasn't the only one.

Way more choice, and as cheap or as expensive as you wanted as pretty much every restaurant chain you can think of was there.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
I took butties and what seemed to be the equivalent of 10 quids worth of coffee in my flask. there was a charity stall there called Anglers Against Cancer, as well as selling tee shirts and a couple of other things, the were selling mugs with their logo on that had tea or coffee in them for a fiver, If you bought one, you had free refills during the day. they were doing a good trade.

Specihunter

Reaction score
I went the year before and apart from meeting Jeremy wade the show was a complete disappointment. All carp and nothing else. Went to the greys stand and well all **** I mean carp rods. No korum or any coarse gear. Might try if finances are good look at the big show. And be disappointed with that.