The Boddington fish in thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Windy

Reaction score
Is anyone going up on the Saturday and staying overnight at a sympathetic pub or other hostelry or Inn nearby ?

As I obviously have nil local knowledge, and even less desire to start the day at 6am with a two hour drive and then attempt to stay awake fishing all day before another long drive home.

So if anyone else knows of a good and reasonably priced place local* to the fishery to stay, have a bite to eat and a pint or twain on the Saturday night before arising fit, refreshed and ready to go like the fishing God that I am bung me a pm soonest...

* when I say local I don't mean it has to be a place on the absolute doorstep, just within reasonably close shooting distance of tens of miles instead of hundreds.

Last edited:

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Just over a week to go now.

Any last minute details re time of meet.
Is it definitely no no to bring a keepnet.

As its getting colder and the carp may or may not be a target and the roach maybe a better bet....what do you recommend Simon, tackle wise and bait.

There's no change to the meeting time etc I stated in my first post on this thread.
Keepnets are not allowed under CRT rules.
Fish can be retained temporarily in a large landing net for photo opportunities. ( We want plenty of pics)
Bait: Maggots, casters, worm etc for the roach.
Carp will take any baits.
Sea baits for pike.
I will be using a medium weight waggler although if it's windy a bolo or stick float maybe better as there can be considerable tow on the water.
I will speak to the bailiff next week and find out the level of the water.
If it's full ( which I doubt ) a pole is a good option..

If anyone wants my mobile number please pm me.

Last edited:

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
We used to use this pub in the Clattercote days...
Does B and B.
Windy will know the place well.
Windy and Graham.jpg

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
If Evan is going to the event then I'd advise everyone else to pack really good waterproofs and a blooming great brolly. . . . . he didn't earn the nickname of "Jonah" for now't . . . .

barbelboi

Reaction score
The first time I met Evan (Windy) was at that early MF fish'in organised by Clarkie some years ago. He arrived at his usual time (late morning) introduced himself and set up in the next swim to me. He set his brolly up and started fishing - 10 minutes later the heavens opened up and it didn't stop - floods everywhere - they'll be a few on here that remember the day well................:)

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I remember that day Jerry, (as in days before the schism) and the heavens really did open and let forth rain of biblical proportions . . . . hence the appropriateness of the nickname . . . .

iannate

The fish made me do it!
Reaction score
The Plough, Upper Boddington do B&B. It's on the same road as the reservoir and is about 1 mile away from it. I haven't been there in a while, but it always served good food and beer although it's under new ownership, I've heard good things though. Unless you are vertically challenged, mind your head if you do go there!

Holly Bush Inn, Priors Marston. Very close to the reservoir - 4 miles, a bit expensive but nice.

I think the Brasenose may have changed hands since the Clattercote days PC, last time I went there (a few years ago) I found it quite expensive [food & drink], I've never stayed there though so can't comment on that.

Windy

Reaction score
Windy will know the place well.
View attachment 7673

OMG, revenge is a dish best served cold innit... that has to be the most unflattering (or possibly most honest) photograph anyone has ever taken of me... What did I ever do to you JW, what did I ever do.... :eek:mg:

Oh, and in the list of reminiscences, you've all forgotten the most magnificent downpouring and thunderstorm on the night of the last Catfishing fish in... We damned near all drowned, and the capture of what was it, a 56lb Catfish ? at 1 or 2am as armageddon burst all around us is not a night I shall ever forget.

Carbon rod in the air, wading hip deep to land the beastie, violent forked lightning all around. A brave man, who was it, time to go search...

barbelboi

Reaction score
It must have been the shock of even seeing the outside of GMs wallet.....................;)

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
I have just spoken to Ken the bailiff at Boddy. He tells me the water level is up to the bottom step so about 4' deep a couple of rod lengths out. This should be ok for float fishing. Otherwise feeder or pike fishing is ok.
He recommends we fish the dam wall but we certainly don't have to.

I do hope none of your spouses have altered your plans for Sunday and we have a good day out...

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
I do hope none of your spouses have altered your plans for Sunday and we have a good day out...
Not the spouse, but I might have to bow out now. More work to be done on a stream and next week we're having a fish survey done on it by the EA. I've literally done more days work on rivers etc since July than I have done fishing. Do I miss it? No, with my luck I was doing more blanks than catching so makes no difference. Hopefully will see a fish or two on the survey.

Would have been good to catch up with old (did I mean it that way?) faces like Jerry and Skippy et al.

20190914_120837.jpg

Lark

Reaction score
There's no change to the meeting time etc I stated in my first post on this thread.
Keepnets are not allowed under CRT rules.
Fish can be retained temporarily in a large landing net for photo opportunities. ( We want plenty of pics)
Bait: Maggots, casters, worm etc for the roach.
Carp will take any baits.
Sea baits for pike.
I will be using a medium weight waggler although if it's windy a bolo or stick float maybe better as there can be considerable tow on the water.
I will speak to the bailiff next week and find out the level of the water.
If it's full ( which I doubt ) a pole is a good option..

If anyone wants my mobile number please pm me.
Hi Simon,
Gutted, but I'm going to have to duck-out from Sunday's meet. This was to be my last outing before getting my hip replacement surgery but 'life' has conspired to b*gger things up for me.
Have a great day, hope the weather stays reasonable and i look forward to, jealously, reading the reports.
Martin.

Windy

Reaction score
The weather looks filthy for Sunday but there's still plenty of time for it to change. It had better because if it looks like rain all day I shall not be there.

What did you expect... I'm still planning to attend :rolleyes:

barbelboi

Reaction score
The weather looks filthy for Sunday but there's still plenty of time for it to change. It had better because if it looks like rain all day I shall not be there.

It's only light rain that's forecast Skip - think of the weather that Windy brought to the LIF all those years ago and we're still here to tell the tale...................:)

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Windy will probably make Boddington his own personal Tarshish . . . .

I will be in Paris sampling some of the culinary delights but I wish you all a catch of "dag godal" . . . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.