Catfish Fish-in 2010 late August or give it a miss this year ?

Windy

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just canvassing opinions (or lack thereof) in relation to whether or not we want the annual Catfish fish-in to continue this year, or whether we should pass on it this year in the context of the major commitment of manpower and resources to the Marsbar bash in 16 / 17th July ?

If anyone is interested for this year I had in mind

a) making it a bit later in the year, August 20 - 22nd or 27 - 29th perhaps, with a view to hitting Cat friendly really hot 'n humid weather and

b) seeking a more Midlands friendly venue north of the M25 than has hitherto been the case - suggestions welcome as I have burger all local knowledge of that area.

Or is it better just shelved for this year and revived in 2011 ?

I'm happy to organise if there is some interest, as an event always close to my heart and the first FM event I ever attended way back when. I have had a free ride to date care of other people's hard work organising, my turn to reciprocate perhaps.... ? Or simply not for this year ?

PS. Thinking back over previous Catfish fish-ins, has anyone seen or heard from Christian lately ? Or has he now encountered the full range of interests that come with puberty... ?

Cheers all, and hope (fingers crossed) to be able to make it up to the Marsbar Wicker man do in any event.

Mark Hewitt

Reaction score
Evan,
I mentioned a catfish weekend to Cakey only this week, he was keen. I think in light of other events mid to late august would be best. I'm happy to research some venues in the midlands area.

Windy

Reaction score
Good man !

Local knowledge much appreciated, though there is a lot of Midlands.... and for the purely selfish reason of being able to afford the petrol to get there (unless some new employment suddenly appears on the horizon) I was thinking Milton Keynes-ish / certainly somewhere below Watford gap ?.

t'would be good to keep it going, especially as I am still a Catfish virgin after all this time.... then again, once a year, I'm hardly dedicating myself to it ! But that's half the fun, fishing for something completely different from my usual comfort zone.

Mark Hewitt

Reaction score
"certainly somewhere below Watford gap"

Down south then?

Seriously, there's a good few venues around Northants, Bedfordshire & Bucks.

Mark Hewitt

Reaction score
A maybe then?

If we can get half a dozen or more interested, we can start the search for a venue.

r1paul

Reaction score
The other one was a great little water , but not up north and probably to late to book now .:)

Windy

Reaction score
"certainly somewhere below Watford gap"

Down south then?

Seriously, there's a good few venues around Northants, Bedfordshire & Bucks.

I'm sure there are, but I'm afraid that for the purely selfish financial ability to be able to afford to make it* Watford G is about as far north as I can do... and at least it's more northerly friendly than either Beaver or Elphicks ! Both of which are only ten minutes away from my doorstep....

* assuming I spend what I need to spend to make it to the Marsbar bash, which is my primary priority for obvious reasons: it's a one off, liable to go down in history as legendary, and who could bear to miss the wonderful final moments as we lift the Marsbar into the Wicker Wallet, ready for the flames....

Mark Hewitt

Reaction score
Had this in mind in previous years, when a more midlands venue had been suggested:

The Fishery - Pitsford Fisheries

But at the time, it was run as a day ticket coarse fishery, with I seem to remember the CCG runinng a members only night fishing syndicate for the catfish. So wasn't suitable for us at the time. Reading the website it now looks to be open?

r1paul

Reaction score
* assuming I spend what I need to spend to make it to the Marsbar bash, which is my primary priority for obvious reasons: it's a one off, liable to go down in history as legendary, and who could bear to miss the wonderful final moments as we lift the Marsbar into the Wicker Wallet, ready for the flames....[/QUOTE]

" 40 angler`s nicked for being drunk and disorderly were bailed by a old git in tears , a Mr Marsbar , who was quoted to say " it was my sodding bash and it`s cost me an arm and a leg , never again " as he waved a empty wallet at our reporter " :wh

Windy

Reaction score
Had this in mind in previous years, when a more midlands venue had been suggested:

But at the time, it was run as a day ticket coarse fishery, with I seem to remember the CCG runinng a members only night fishing syndicate for the catfish. So wasn't suitable for us at the time. Reading the website it now looks to be open?

Browsing the website now.... looks OK. Close enough to Watford G and the civilisation of the south, just.... ;)

£25 per night is not cheap tho but if it works out at 3 x 25 = 75 ? Just about OK if they will run it as 48 hours from our usual Friday after noon to Sunday noon for £50 notes. Less hopefully any huge group discount and allowance for free publicity on FM (always worth a try !)...

[Edit]Not a great deal of content in the website ! You wouldn't know there were catfish in it if it weren't for the anglers bragging pics.... and nothing about any of the rules applicable ?!? Little things like braid / yes or no, barbed / barbless, live-baiting or no etc might be useful to know.... do you have personal knowledge of the place and its rules etc ?[/Edit]

Last edited:

r1paul

Reaction score

That seem ok Mark .:w

Mark Hewitt

Reaction score
I've never fished it, but seen it a number of times. Its a very small clay pit, and is well know to have held cats for many years.
The website is a little vague, and must be new - as I seem to remember alot more info in the past.

I shall keep digging......

Windy

Reaction score
I'm trying to post a visitors post on the Catfishforum asking if they have any recommendations.
Bit of lateral (or is it direct ?) thinking there. They should know which waters really have a sufficient head of catfish worth pursuing by CF virgins.
As opposed to the predominant bulk of what I suspect are really Carp lakes with just one or two poor lonely catfish lurking in a sulk, stuck in there by proprietors anxious to advertise their lake as a Cat paradise and thereby pick up an extra quid or two. Not an accusation that could be levelled at our previous venues thankfully.

r1paul

Reaction score
It does seem to me , with my limited cat fishing , that the waters that hold cats , don`t in the main look that inviting , they seem to me to look a bit barren , like somebody has dug a big hole and put a few cats in as a after though .