Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Antique Alligator Hide Fly Fishing Wallet and Flies

Here are 4 photos of an antique Alligator hide Fly Fishing Wallet w Flies that I have for sale. It came from a 90+ year old guy who had a garage next to mine. I got the wallet when I put myself in between the old guy's nephew cleaning out the garage and the dumpsters. The old fellow had to be put into a nursing home, so his nephew had to clean the garage out. I stumbled upon the scene at the garage a little late in the day, on my way to help someone who lives near the garages, but I was there when a nice old apple box came out and an old army gas mask shoulder bag with some crusty fishing tackle in it; and I took that bag then later found this really valuable looking Fly Fishing Wallet and Flies down in the bottom of the bag. And, true to my nature, I carried some stuff from that garage to the dumpsters - in return for the goodies I got.

I've had the Fly Fishing Wallet for over 6 years. Can anyone help with info about it? Are any of the Flies premium collector’s items? Are you or anyone you know interested in buying it? It's a sweet piece.

I have to say that I only assume it is Alligator hide. But it is so old and the old guy was so old and the wallet came out of such an old raggedy carry sack that I figure it is old enough to be real Alligator. And the old guy worked for a lifetime in the well-paying local steel mill, he and his wife never had children, so he could afford the best fishing tackle. What do ya think of this sheepskin lined wallet, and the old flies in it?

What is any of it worth?

Wanna make me an offer?

My email is: ursusdave at yahoo dot com

Check out the photos of the wallet -it's a nice one -

Last edited by ursusdave; 26-08-2010 at 03:49. Reason: add email

Here is a link to the largest version of the photo of the flies; and you can really see the detail in the flies clearly; if you place your mouse pointer on the photo, it turns into a magnifying glass shape with a + sign in it, click that on the photo and see the flies up close very clearly:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_EjjZFaG8y3...0/DSCN4930.JPG

It could be fun just to see if you know the old flies.
    Last edited by ursusdave; 26-08-2010 at 03:57. Reason: rewrite

It's a fine line between genius and madness -- I wish I knew which side of it I'm on !

Someone is bound to snap that up....
    PaSC Junior Development Officer ><((((°>

of course if it's a cites listed species then selling it will bring a nice £5000 fine for trading in endangered species

looks a load of 'tat' to me ...
    It's a fine line between genius and madness -- I wish I knew which side of it I'm on !

Does the wallet have manufaturers name or mark anywhere?

Ed, some of the flies on that wallet look distinctly modern to me. The wallet may be old, I don't know, but the flies I don't think are as old.

Quote Originally Posted by Colin North the one and only View Post
    Ed, some of the flies on that wallet look distinctly modern to me. The wallet may be old, I don't know, but the flies I don't think are as old.

That's what I meant , as he asked
    " Are any of the Flies premium collector’s items ?"

There is no manufacturer's mark on the wallet.

Reading the replies on here, I just realized that my idea of old Fly Fishing tackle and a hard core Fly Fishing tackle collector's idea of it are too different concepts. Some collectors may only go for flies that are older than any of us alive today.

The old guy who was renting the garage, John, never talked about going fishing or having done any good fishing. So I figure that John had not done any fishing for a few decades, maybe. The old gas mask bag with fishing tackle in it had definitely been buried in under other stuff in the garage for a decade or more. Old John had rented that garage since the 1940s. I am thinking that the flies are from the 1960s or 50s and no older than the 40s. I'll be UNhappily surprised if they are 1970s era or newer. That is why I have the detailed photo of them, for the collector's to be able to determine what they are from when.

As far as any endangered species act violations, according to what I've learned - including by viewing many episodes of both the British and American Antique Roadshow TV series, if there were any endangered species used for tying the flies in the wallet, I'll probably be alright if I sell them in the USA. That's how it goes with some old items that can't be made today, because it endangers certain species. But, I never had any idea that that is something for me to be aware of. Thanks for the warning on that one. I have to be sure that I am legal in the transaction.

And I like the creative humor in the replies, it makes posting on here feel comfortable. If I were a regular on here, or any fishing forum, I believe I'd add "I FISH, THEREFORE I AM" to my posts.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast