Old rod stocks

hague01

Reaction score
Hi Guys.
I am helping a friend sort his old stock.When I say old they were there when he bought the shop 10 years ago and haven't seen the light of day since. I have listed some on ebay which I got last week, but yesterday I got another 35. Most of budget but there are a few which ring bells.
I have 2 spinners an abu Garcia classic action Conolon 9' and a Maver reactolite 10'spin.Both are actually gorgeous( to me) but not wotrth that much if anyones is interested.
One real gem I feel is a browning Champions Choice Commercial Feeder10' feeder.I see current model is over 200 at Bobco. Rather hope it doesn't sell and I can keep it.
A couple of Abu Suveran match are terrific too.
I probably have 9 abu flys if anyone interested + 2 wychwood truflex 9's.
If these are of interest with anyone just say. Alec

sam vimes

Reaction score
The Abu Suveran rods (float and feeder) tend to sell reasonably well on ebay. However, they don't tend to go for huge amounts. £40-60 would probably be about average, but they occasionally go higher. That amount is probably not a fair reflection of how good they are. I keep an eye on them because I fancy one of the long float rods, if I can find one for a sensible price. Too heavy for my liking as a long trotting rod, but I have a feeling that it would be spot on for my gravel pit tenching. It would spend most of the time on rests, so being a bit chunky doesn't matter too much.

nottskev

Reaction score
I think those Abu rods are the ones with the "ergonomic" swelled-out reel seats? I had a little 8' 6" feeder rod in the series; the handle was a treat and the finish very good. Could be very good value for someone needing a new float rod.

sam vimes

Reaction score
I think those Abu rods are the ones with the "ergonomic" swelled-out reel seats? I had a little 8' 6" feeder rod in the series; the handle was a treat and the finish very good. Could be very good value for someone needing a new float rod.

There are two versions of the Abu Suveran. One has the reel seat with a palm swell (I believe it's the earlier version, but not 100%) , the other has a fairly standard Fuji type. The blanks appear to be very similar, if not the same. There's also an Abu Conolon match rod that has the palm swell reel seat.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

The reel seat on my 12' feeder rod.

Is it a palm swell ?

hague01

Reaction score
yes they both have the swell bit you describe .Also the 12-13/6 clicks when the reel tightener is rurned.Not see that before

hague01

Reaction score
yes they are + the reel tightener ticks on the 12-13.6, which is a new one on me. The 12 is silent

hague01

Reaction score
I have the 13 and the 12-13.6 Sam. Courier would be about a tenner per rod. If you fancy one/two, then open to offers. Both new of course with bags. Not sure if its possible via this site. My plan is to put them and others on ebay maybe over the weekend
My favourite of all is a Browning Champions Choice Commercial 10' bomb. I think its cracking and better looking than my marksman bomb. I think and hope the only time that leaves my house will be to go to the bank!

hague01

Reaction score
One rod in the collection I really fancy but dont seem able to get any info on it.
Browning Champions Choice Commercial 10' bomb art 1154 300. It has 3 tips to 2 oz and casts up to 50gsm. Anyone know of these.
This also brings me to a question I have meant to ask. I have a hardy marksman 10' bomb.The literature says casting weight 15g, but it has 2 tips up to 1 1/2. My logic is that if the tips allow 45 g why say 15? Inquiries of Hardy elicit nothing. The browning makes sense but I must be missing something on the hardy. Lovely rod mind and a what a feel, even with up to a mid double carp. Sensational in fact.

sam vimes

Reaction score
One rod in the collection I really fancy but dont seem able to get any info on it.
Browning Champions Choice Commercial 10' bomb art 1154 300. It has 3 tips to 2 oz and casts up to 50gsm. Anyone know of these.
This also brings me to a question I have meant to ask. I have a hardy marksman 10' bomb.The literature says casting weight 15g, but it has 2 tips up to 1 1/2. My logic is that if the tips allow 45 g why say 15? Inquiries of Hardy elicit nothing. The browning makes sense but I must be missing something on the hardy. Lovely rod mind and a what a feel, even with up to a mid double carp. Sensational in fact.

The rating given to a quiver tip bears no particular relation to the casting weight of a rod. It's merely an indication of how sensitive that tip might be.

hague01

Reaction score
The rating given to a quiver tip bears no particular relation to the casting weight of a rod. It's merely an indication of how sensitive that tip might be.

Thanks for that Sam.
I confess its been confusing me for a long time.
I managed to get details from Zebco on the browning bomb which I am delighted with. Lovely looking rod which I want to keep. Its got a spliced tip marked 1.5 with a given c/w of 50. that seems to make sense. I wonder on the hardy bomb whether they mean 15g if using as a float as some makers give that info on float roads.
The browning was £100 back in 2010 which I suppose with 1 tip was ok but it wasn't a big seller obviously. Need another rod like a hole in the head but cant fish or garden so got to dream about something.

sam vimes

Reaction score
My knowledge of specific leger/feeder/bomb rods is limited by my lack of interest in such methods. However, for any rod described as being a bomb, picker or wand, I'd not expect high casting ratings. 3/4oz would be relatively high for such rods unless someone chucks "carp" or "commercial" in there as a prefix. That's where the Browning Commercial Bomb rod comes in. I fully expect that the Hardy bomb rod being rated at 15g (0.5oz) is about right. I doubt it would have much issue casting a little more, but that's not what it's intended for. I doubt that there's any chance that a bomb rod would be rated with float fishing in mind. The Hardy is what it is, a short, light actioned rod for cucking little Arlesey bombs, or tiny feeders, around.

hague01

Reaction score
much appreciate the tips. No fishing today, roses in the allotment!

B

binka

I've been using the original Hardy Marksman Ultralite bomb rod for three or four years now and I occasionally chuck a small black cap or cage feeder with it but certainly no distance and I would say an ounce loaded is about its comfortable max.

I believe the later, Supero version gained a bit of a cult following on commercials so I don't know if that came with tweaks or was due to the success of the original Marksman as you really can land some big fish on it, Dave Coster landed two 20+ carp whilst testing it and I've had unintentional upper doubles and double figure barbel with care.

Not bad at all for a rod that is such a delight to use for small silvers on pound bottoms...

HBR.JPG

hague01

Reaction score
Yes I do like the bomb, I have had mid double carp on it. Most fun I have ever had with a rod. Feel is magical. It is the marksman . I also have 2 superos, a 13' extreme feeder which is just knockout catching carp, even just over doubles( 24 is best I think). Don't ask, ok if you do, not many raging rivers round here( Essex) and a 12' specimen which is I think a barbel rod( not many of those either) but I use it as a slider float set up( polaris) again for up to mid doubles really. Some people slate the superos as inferior etc but possibly that's because they have the marksman.

B

binka

Some people slate the superos as inferior etc but possibly that's because they have the marksman.

I have seven (was eight) original Marksmans and one Supero and I suspect the Superos are/were the same blank but without the frills such as alloy ferrule plugs and with a bit less margin on them, to be able to better compete when people weren't rushing out to pay £300+ for whatever rod it was.

Comparing Marksman and the equivalent Supero line ratings usually states a lower line rating for the Supero, this could be interpreted as a lower modulus blank but personally I think Hardy knocked the ratings down a bit to be on the safe side.

I would be intrigued to ever find the definitive answer.

hague01

Reaction score
I have seven (was eight) original Marksmans and one Supero and I suspect the Superos are/were the same blank but without the frills such as alloy ferrule plugs and with a bit less margin on them, to be able to better compete when people weren't rushing out to pay £300+ for whatever rod it was.

Comparing Marksman and the equivalent Supero line ratings usually states a lower line rating for the Supero, this could be interpreted as a lower modulus blank but personally I think Hardy knocked the ratings down a bit to be on the safe side.

I would be intrigued to ever find the definitive answer.

I think you are spot on. They were finding it hard to sell rods at 350 and so introduced a "cheaper" range. There's no way the blank is different, economically it cant be when they were just 10% or so cheaper. Doesnt stand up.
You will have gathered I am an idiot fisherman. But the hardy's do have a "feel" when a fish is on. I have diawa tournament pros as well and they are even more extreme, being so slim but the feel is exciting but in a different way. The hardy's are quite unique in my view.
Got a T/pro RS power float coming. Really looking forward to seeing that. I bought a tricast J/A premium which arrived in the week. Think it will be on ebay soon and my pro 13/15.

hague01

Reaction score
By coincidence just back from snowy Surrey where I collected 4 brand new superos, all feeders, 10(bomb) 11, 12 and 13.All complete!
Anyone interested while they are still here, give me a shout. These rods , ie new and not ex display, are now hens teeth!

john r stockburn

Reaction score
By coincidence just back from snowy Surrey where I collected 4 brand new superos, all feeders, 10(bomb) 11, 12 and 13.All complete!
Anyone interested while they are still here, give me a shout. These rods , ie new and not ex display, are now hens teeth!

go on I have to ask , what are superos ?