Drennan hook tyer

nottskev

Reaction score
Should it be a tyer or a tier??

It's one of those - you can inquire/enquire, but acknowledgement/acknowledgment can be found for each spelling among/amongst advisers/advisors. I'd say use your judgement/judgment. :)

Reaction score
Words don't matter,just learn to use the damn thing....;)

Keith M

Reaction score
Are you trying to tie your hook, on the bank, to the line on a spool of hooklength line? You can do, and grip the spool, as you say, between your knees - or wedge it anywhere convenient!

Myself, I tie the loop in the hooklength line on the spool, then cut off roughly what I want. Then I'll attach the hooklength, loop to loop, to the mainline, with no hook on. Only then do I tie the hook on the end, and then it becomes easy to hold/tension the line - you just pull, to whatever degree of tension, against the rod tip. I always find it's easier to get a good knot like this than when I'm trying to tie one on a short length with the spool jammed somewhere.
Thats exactly right Kev. I use the tension on the rod top. Its been working like that with my matchman hook tyers for donkeys years

Like Ken and John I usually tie my spade end hooks using the tension on the rod top on the bank too.

I have used the Matchman Hook tyer this way for donkeys years too and it takes me around 30 seconds (or even less) to tie a replacement hook on this way after losing a hook; and it’s rare for the knot to mess up although very very occasionally it does if my hands are really freezing on a cold winters day.

If I am tying up a few pole floats at home I either wedge the line spool in a spring clamp or get the Mrs to help keep the line tension on.

Keith

Last edited:

trotter2

Reaction score
I tie all my hooks by hand ,however as I get older my eyesight is getting poor coupled with bad light on a dull day. I have started to use a hook tyier just to prevent me dropping hooks in the carpet and spending half an hour on my knees trying to find it. It's not difficult and I can tie 5 hooks up in less minutes persevere with it my friend.

John Keane

Reaction score