Drennan hook tyer

mikench

Reaction score
Thanks chaps. So far all attempts have been a total failure , not even close!:(

sam vimes

Reaction score
Trying three times doesn't even count as a bit of practice. It's a question of tension. Tension on the line from the spool and of the whipping wraps. Once you have got that sussed you can start thinking about wetting the knot as you pull it tight, the number of turns you use and taking the twist out before pulling tight. It does take time and practice to master. Even when you've been doing it for years, you'll still foul it up once in a while.

mikench

Reaction score
Ì will have further attempts today using just what I might have on the bank.

theartist

Reaction score
I have noticed that tension on the line is key. I will persevere'!

What Sam Vimes says is spot on I hope the Youtube demos show this as you kind of forget you're doing those things when you're actually doing it if that makes sense, it becomes second nature. What I found is to get the right weight on the spool to get good tension but not too tight, the same book comes off the shelf each time as a weight

Keep trying or should I say keep tying Mike

nottskev

Reaction score
Are you trying to tie your hook, on the bank, to the line on a spool of hooklength line? You can do, and grip the spool, as you say, between your knees - or wedge it anywhere convenient!

Myself, I tie the loop in the hooklength line on the spool, then cut off roughly what I want. Then I'll attach the hooklength, loop to loop, to the mainline, with no hook on. Only then do I tie the hook on the end, and then it becomes easy to hold/tension the line - you just pull, to whatever degree of tension, against the rod tip. I always find it's easier to get a good knot like this than when I'm trying to tie one on a short length with the spool jammed somewhere.

mikench

Reaction score
I never thought of that Kev! A perfect solution which when fishing becomes slow I will try! Ingenious!:)

sam vimes

Reaction score
It's a solution, but not necessarily a perfect one. You lose control of exactly how long your hooklength is going to be. That won't be an issue for some, but it would be for me. I invariably tie hooks on the bank. It allows me the flexibility on hook pattern, line type and breaking strain that I desire. I tie on the bank in exactly the same way as I do at home. a spool of line is placed between my knees.

Reaction score
I tie on the bank for the same reasons,I hold the line tight either in my right hand(which is holding the loose end of the line too,or I put the hooklink on first,loop to loop then the the hook,I cannot believe many older anglers can tie a spade end quickly as me,in winter,I'd use any hooktier efficiently,and have,if someone is having issues,it would be best to take your hooks,line and tyer to a tackle shop,or better still a mates house and ask for a few examples of how to do it,I couldn't imagine I'd need half an hour,especially if you start with maybe say a 16 hook...

Reaction score
One addition to the above post,I believe the length of your hooklink is critical,so out of preference I would rather the the hook first then tie the loop as it's easier to be right on the length,but learning to use your tyer is paramount...

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
You could try my way of making sure you can tie hooks.
Simply take no pre-tied or eyed hooks with you so you are forced to tie one or no fishing!
I soon learnt.

theartist

Reaction score
But what do you use on the bank Rob just your knees?

Dude you ain't seen my knees lol, seriously tie them at home it's much less stress, I've never bothered to tie them on the bank as never needed to plus the ol' hayfever would make that a miserable experience.

You could also be getting too many ways to skin a cat here so to speak, pick a way you are comfortable with and practice in your own time no pressure, I would do that at home to be fair, with a glass of whatever whilst listening to the world go by

Last edited:

Reaction score
I tie down to 26's no trouble at all,luckily I rarely use below 22's these days,I would if I had to mind...

john step

Reaction score
Are you trying to tie your hook, on the bank, to the line on a spool of hooklength line? You can do, and grip the spool, as you say, between your knees - or wedge it anywhere convenient!

Myself, I tie the loop in the hooklength line on the spool, then cut off roughly what I want. Then I'll attach the hooklength, loop to loop, to the mainline, with no hook on. Only then do I tie the hook on the end, and then it becomes easy to hold/tension the line - you just pull, to whatever degree of tension, against the rod tip. I always find it's easier to get a good knot like this than when I'm trying to tie one on a short length with the spool jammed somewhere.

Thats exactly right Kev. I use the tension on the rod top. Its been working like that with my matchman hook tyers for donkeys years.

Having typed that it does not look right. The more educated out there will know. Should it be a tyer or a tier??

mikench

Reaction score
You were right Pete. I am trying to be a hook tyer. However I am a third tier tyer!:rolleyes: