Sharpes rods

P

paul williams 2

Hi,
Anyone use Sharpes rods? if so how do you rate them?......i'm thinking of the 9ft 6in #7 as an " hold all day" stillwater rod.......comments welcomed, because i haven't time to ride around and local shops don't stock em!
feel free to comment on other rods in the ?100/150 price range in this style.
cheers.

S

Shrek

OK, you have a huge range to choose from:

- Sharpes Gordon
- Greys Greyflex M2
- Sage Launch
- Harrisons (The one Ron has)
- Vision 3-Zone

to name a few.

Comments on the Sharpes range are they are a very good casting rod but don't have much feel when it comes to playing fish. This is only from other anglers that I know have them, I haven't tried one myself.

I have a Greyflex and a Greyflex M2, the latter being noticeably lighter and stiffer than the former. I'm very happy with the M2, can cast all day with either a floater, sinker or intermediate. Plays fish very well coping with lunges near the net especially.

Sage have a new range coming out (think they are here already) called Launch. This is their base introductory range and I haven't heard much feedback on them at all.

I would strongly urge you though that if you're going to be spending more than ?100 on a rod then definitely either have a cast with one if your tackle shop will let you, or find someone that has the rod you're interested in and nick it, errr, I mean, ask them if you can have a few casts with it to see how it suits you.

One that you may be interested in are Bloke Rods. They are put together by a chap called Mick Bell and he sells on Ebay. He tends to sell 9ft rods in #6, #7 and #8 as well as a 10ft #7. They sell between ?150 and ?200. Feedback from people on these rods is very good indeed. If I had the cash, I'd definitely get one, but at the moment I have more rods than you can shake a stick at. Website is HERE if you want a look.

Hope this helps some, listen to others though and try as many rods as you can.

Cheers,

Adrian

chef

Reaction score
Paul ,
i use Bloke rods they are great very light and a joy to use ,I have the 6# ,7# and a beast of an 8# that is great for pike fishing and saltwater,the 9ft 6# is my goto rod for all fishing river,stillwater whatever , well finished and very light,the 10ft 7# I use if the wind picks up to much again a great rod
I met Mick Bell at a recent social a total fishing nut! and a very nice guy email or phone him and speak with him
Adrian , you missed out the new 5# very nice rod used one at the proboards social.
on another note if you want a superb new reel look at the vosseler range I have the dc 3 and the dc 4 and can't fault them roughly ?115 but the build and quality of these reels they look as if they should cost a lot more can get them from the "glasgow angling center"

Richard Baker 4

Reaction score
For that sort of money there are a lot of rods on the market. However I'verecently invested in an Orvis Clearwater. Its a superb rod. Not only is it available in a number of weights but you can get different flexs too. The rod has a 25 year unconditional guarantee. I've recently broken a rod with a similar guarantee and can asure you its well worth having when a brand new rod drops through the post for only a nominal fee of say ?15. Technically you should have the rod for 25 years as every time you break it you send it back and get the latest model.

P

paul williams 2

Thanks for the comments fella's.......Ade those Bloke rods sound good but unless i can get one on Ebay for about ?150 my Missus won't give me they cred card to pay for one!

S

Shrek

There's none up for auction at the moment, but check in a day or two. They tend to go up for sale fairly regularly.

S

Shrek

Paul,

Have you bought another rod yet? If you're after a Bloke rod, there's a guy on another forum I use selling one for ?150 inc P&P. Here's the link

Cheers,

Adrian

P

paul williams 2

Ade.....i came by a very cheap rod, it's one of the lureflash viper MK2 models, 9ft6in #6/7.......it's new and i got it cheap, so cheap i thought what the heck i'll give it a try.......it is superb for the money, i can cast better with it than a 10ft #7/8 rod that cost ?175 new!
As most of my fishing is on rivers i think it will do nicely for the odd stillwater trip......if it really proves itself i may get another, to have a second setup!