Cleaning Goretex jackets and breathable waders

Richard Baker 4

Reaction score
Hello all,

just got back from a fishing trip in the states. This involved a boat fishing trip using clams as bait. basically chest waders are covered in bass slime and clam muck. as is my wading jacket. They stink to high hell. Does anyone know how to clean the following without daming their waterproof and breathable qualities. Thanks in advance for help.

Barbour wading jacket (Breathable)

Orvis Tailwater XT breathable waders.

S

Shrek

NikWax make some excellent products for cleaning and reproofing breathable fabrics.

Have a look at their website

I use them to reproof my jackets, coats and overtrousers and would recommend them.

P

paul williams 2

Depends really on what the breathable is made of....for instance Goretex needs a pure soap, i have goretex walking and fishing jackets and thats all i use, i wash (sponge)them by hand on a coat hanger and then hose them off and dry them.....once the Gtex breaks down use them as casuals for shopping!

Richard Baker 4

Reaction score
Spoke to Barbour and they recomended NIKWAX straight away. Chers Adrian. sound advice.

Spoke to Orvis about the waders and they really didn't have a clue. The answer was "try a little bit of soap and water" didn't really inspire much confidence. Don't think they realise the smell of sea fishing baits and fish slime!

S

Shrek

NikWax also do a wash product for breathable fabrics that gets rid of muck and stuff before you wash in the waterproofing solution.

Might be worth a call or email to them explaining your situation and see what they come back and say.

P

paul williams 2

Richard.....if it is gtex you are talking about then it shouldn't need nikwax reproofer, you could well ruin the breathability .... unless it's only a wash product as Ade says....i have used gtex off and on since the 80's and do not recommend any "reproofer" whatsover.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

Quite right Brummie.

GoreTex is a breathable hydrophobic PTFE membrane. If it gets coated with anything oily it will lose its hydrophobic properties and will get blocked up, not allowing air to breath through it.

Believe me. I have had experience of PTFE membranes in the filtration industry for over 25 years.

P

paul williams 2

That said....nikwax products are exellent products, i have used them on many things.....especially fabric boots.