Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Does anyone own a Sharpes Gordon Fly rod? If you do would you be kind enough to let me know if there good. I currently own two 9'6 6/7 greys greyflex rods and use a 7 line. Im double hauling and the rods cant take it very well. Greys have recommended I drop to a 6 weight line. With this cost I may as well buy a new rod that can take the punishment. Thanks.

Paul Maclennan.

jimmy degg Guest

iwould like to know this answer myself, i am going into the fly fishing shop tomorrow so i will ask.or maybe you could contact sharpes themselves and post the reply on here, because i wouldnt mind one as well.

Shrek Guest

I've not cast one myself, but from users remarks and reviews, they are a very good casting tool and can hold up a lot of line. For instance, one guy tried out a 10ft #7 and managed to hold up the entire length of a fly line with the backing knot in his hand to haul with.

The downside is they don't appear to give a lot of feedback when you have a fish on though as they don't have very much "feel".

Also, they appear to be more readily available than when they first came out, so either overstocking has occurred, or they have lost that initial "wow" factor.

If I were you, I'd look at the Greys Platinum XD range as well. Good reviews on this site and, when I have the cash, they will be what I'll upgrade to.

Since I posted the above message I went for a days fishing. I had some casting lessons and I double hauled to get the line shooting out. My greyflex rod sheared two inches below the middle joint (2 piece). I am now definately in the market for a new fly rod and I'm going to have a good look around. I am thinking about a Sharpes Gordon, a Platinum XD or maybe a Bloke rod. What I want is a 7 rate rod that thinks its an 8 if you get what I mean.

Jimmy if you get to the shop drop me a line and let me know what you thought of the rod. I have visited the Sharpes site but to be honest it is really badly designed and there is not a great deal of information. I really think they are missing out on an oppurtunity with it.

I will be taking a little time and see what people are using and recommending I'm hoping once I find my "perfect" rod its happy fishing all the way.

Paul.

Shrek Guest

You'd be wanting the Platinum XD. Go read Ron Clays review in the reviews section. He has one and thinks it is excellent.

He has the 10ft #7, but they also do a 9ft #8 if you're specifically after an #8.

If you can, find somewhere that stocks the rods you are interested in and then go and try them out. Any half decent tackle shop should let you do that. Otherwise, get in with the regulars where you fish and see if they will let you have a go with their set up.

Let us know how you get on.

As the owner of several "BLOKE" rods i would wholeheartedly reccomend them .the 7# will take an 8# easily

Shrek Guest

Go on Chef, do the Vosseler reel thing too.

jimmy degg Guest

paul, iwent into the shop (stockport fly )in, cheshire) and he said the gordon would do the job,no problem. but i am now saving for a sage fli,9 foot 6in 7weight 4 peice on his reccommendation, for me it will be the rod of a lifetime so it will be worth the wait, he ( steve ) recons their is nothing to touch it , and they are still hand made in the usa, unlike the gordon which is made in china.hope this helps.

To everyone who posted thanks for all your comments and advice. I think what I ideally need to do is try the rod/rods Im looking at buying and take it from there. Also get as much feedback from the people who currently own them as you recommend. I got the Greyflexs at half price so even when I sell them on I wont be out of pocket. It would be a different matter with a 300 rod so I don't want to make a mistake in my purchase.

Jimmy hope you get your Sage rod soon and its a cracker to use.

Paul.

Adrian ,
    Don't knock what you haven't tried

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast