Snakes or single legs

• Thread starter Ron 'The Hat' Clay
  • Start date
R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

The vast majority of fly rods today use chrome plated snake ring, a "hayfork" tip ring and two ceramic or SiC stripper rings.

The problem with some poor snake rings is that after a few months of fishing they groove like hell. And the tip ring is even worse. This is particularly noticable when you use a shooting head and fish on muddy banks.

For years when I made rods I used to put one SiC stripper ring, Top quality Hopkins and holloway snake, plus a SiC tip ring. The tip ring gets the most hammer for obvious reasons. Under these conditions I have had fly rods last for many years without the tip ring grooving.

Some people tell me that single leg SiC or ceramics are heavy and ruin the action of the rod. Others tell me that standard snakes stiffen the action of a rod. Others say that single leg snakes are the best option.

I say that all of these are no real disadvantage at all. The only disadvantage are those horrid hayfork tip rings which even the best of rod makers still seem to use.

What do you think?

NT

Reaction score
Hi Ron, I think they will only make small difference to casting distance- a big change is being able to cast properly (don't ask me by the way!)and some good instruction will pay dividends. Although snakes may be slightly better for distance as they have less surface area for the fly line to contact and hence resistance.
Heavy sinking lines which have metal fragments in them to help them sink (due to these unfathomable international fly fishing rules) will wear out anything in the end, be they snakes or rings. Although snakes will need replacing first.
Action,weight and price are the key factors for me when choosing rods these days.

Having done reasonably well this year (3rd!) in a reservoir boat league, I know the key thing is to know where the fish are(and not gear such as flies, rods, lines...) I was thinking about starting a new thread on location, location ,location..

A little confidence helps and if you get that by having tailor made rods to your specification then so be it.

At the end of the day a rod is a tool to help you put your flies in front of fish and a tool you'll have to use all day to do so.

Neil.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

Thanks Neil for the input.

One thing that is true is that snakes are no bloody good at all if you do any sea fishing, especially from the shore. The sand wreaks havoc with snakes.

For most trout fishing, the single leg "snakes" together with a single "stripper" butt ring and tip ring using SiC, will be satisfactory.

The lines that really destroy snakes are those shooting heads with braided backing.

By the way Neil, are you allowed to use a shooting head in competitive boat fishing? My guess is that you are not, but you are allowed to use certain foward tapers which quite honestly are no more than another form of shooting head.

NT

Reaction score
Hi Ron, The international rules state you must use a continuous flyline: so no shooting heads. Airlo invented 40plus lines (which are competition legal) as they have a continuous core, but there is separate head & running line coatings I think.
Anway I don't recommend the lines as the backing bit tangles every other cast.
Its no good casting 40 yards 2 times out of three due to your backing tangling into a knot.
Boat fishing doesn't really need long casts as the boats must drift (anchors disallowed). The one exception is very windy & very cold conditions, where you need to cast a long way to give time for the sinking lines to sink. You're not allowed to fish (let the flies & line go behind the boat behind the boat otherwise known as trolling).
Neil.

chef

Reaction score
Sorry to hi-jack the thread

Neil ,
what drouge do you use and do you make any modifications to the guy ropes?
just spent my first weekend drifting ,brilliant fun don't think i'll use an anchor again
Tim

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

You can buy a drogue, you can also make one out of a bit of square canvas or even sacking, about 4 foot square.

Make it like a four cornered parachute. You MUST have a hole in the middle or it will not work.

Ray Webb became an expert in making drogues out of old sacking and "Hairy Dan" string.

They cost him nowt of course.

NT

Reaction score
I now use a Ron Thompson drogue as I found it was the cheapest available ( I have used wychwood ones). It also has two guy ropes which allow it to be tied at either end or in the centre.
When I get round to it I will buy some very thick rope and dog clips & swivels and put these on.
The thick rope may keep it out of the outboard propeller and is easer to see & the clips will make it easy to attach.
This all helps if you DON'T bring the drogue in. A single rope drogue will not collapse - you'll need to bring it in. A drogue attached at the two ends will collapse and stay away from the outboard if you keep moving in the same direction.
Much easier to demonstrate than explain.
Thick coloured rope will be easier to see - and keep away from the outboard!
Neil.