HELP!!

chef

Reaction score
I have been asked to take a mates 10 year old fly fishing this sunday, he hasn't fished before (talk about blind leading the blind) would you suggest casting out for him first of all so he catches a fish then work on his casting or bore him silly and work on his casting first? if he enjoys it I'll be pushing his dad to get him lessons so he dosent pick up any of my faults

S

Shrek

Whatever it takes to get him catching a fish, ideally you casting and him retrieving.

If he fancies a go at casting, a simple overhead cast would be more than enough to get him started then, if he gets the hang of that quite quickly, you can progress from there, but get him hooked on catching a fish first.

Also, think about the length of rod he's going to be using compared to his height. If he's only 4ft in his stocking feet he's going to find it hard to cast with a 9.5ft rod.

Have fun and most of all, don't stress about it.

K

Keith Orange

I wouldn't attempt to teach him fly casting. The problem is that beginners may make a backcast which results in the fly travelling close to the face, and could even hit the face especially if it's windy. A child of 10 is going to find it harder to cast than an adult.

I would leave it to a professional instructor to teach the child. You are taking on a big responsibility if you teach him yourself.

Fly fishing can be hazardous - my ex fly casting instructor knew a couple of anglers who had been blinded by hooks. He advised fly casters to wear glasses (prescription or sunglasses) when casting

C

chris (newbie)

you could try to teach him a basic over head cast and if he can manage that then fish along side him, and let him play any of the fish that you hook.

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
Glasses and a hat are essential items.

You cast and let him retrive most places do a father and son ticket. You will be best placed if you play gillie for the day as to fishing yourself.

If the fish are close in pull a couple of rod lengths of line of and let him cast as using a whip working the fly back by moving the rod tip.

chef

Reaction score
keith you may have missed my point or i didn't make it clear when i said work on his casting i ment enough for him to fish for the day as in a simple pick up and lay down , and as i said if he enjoys the day getting his dad to get him lessons

Fishing Gimp

Reaction score
With a ten year old the best thing you can do chef is give up any idea of fishing yourself and concentrate solely on catching a fish for the youngster to play in. This for the first trip will be all you can do.

If you don't catch early on though the youngster will get 'bored' within about half an hour....you have been warned.

However catch a fish and allow the youngster to play it in and you will have a fisherman for life and you can bet what will be on his christmas list.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

When I taught my son to fly fish I started out by letting him net my fish. He loved carrying the landing net and felt he was part of the fishing.

Then I let him retrieve after I had cast. He became quite adept at that too.

Then he finally graduated to casting, which came easy to him. Within 6 months at about the age of 10 he could cast 25 yards.

Of course I insisted on a decent hat (NOT a baseball cap - which are as good as useless), long trousers, a long sleeved shirt and sun glasses.