Shrimps

I

Ian Whittaker

Seems shrimp is a dirty word when used in assosciation with salmon fishing.Can't find much literature on it and there doesn't seem to be any representation in the periodicals.Anybody out there help?

J

Jon Moores

I've rarely used the shrimp, so can't give you advice from experience. Try getting hold of Falkus's Salmon Fishing which includes info on all aspects of Salmon fishing including the shrimp and prawn.

R

Rob Brownfield

Fact is Ian, Shrimps are banned on many waters because they are effective..same as spun naturels like Sprats, and worms. Snobbery comes into it to in certain areas (Aberdeenshire Dee) as its not "the done thing" etc etc.

Jon is right, Highs book is indeed excellent when it comes to showing how to use them.

I

Ian Whittaker

Thanks chaps,i've read & digested the great mans book and Charles Binghams "salmon fishing on small rivers"

C

Colin Leatherbarrow

Ian,
Give me a ring on 0161-748-0959 during the daytime and I will tell you what you want to know about 'shrimping' for Salmon. Before most river systems banned the method, my pals and I caught dozens of Salmon (best catch 12 before breakfast, to 18lbs.) Fly only nowadays and release most fish. Bye for now.

C

Carp Angler

I used to trot them on a syndicated stretch of the upper Hants Avon and used to get absolutely plagued by massive chub.
Always remember that the dyed purple ones were the most effective for all species.

K

Keith Hacking

on its day very effective i agree that purple is the best colour. red can spook fish and scare them. you will see a big boil of water by the float and then a bow wave as the fish shoots away.rig the shrimp on a shrimp pin. insert pin at tail of shrimp straighten shrimp and thread through to head fix treble hook under chin by one hook and leave other two hooks showing to hook the fish. trot the shrimp just off the bottom but if they want it they will come of the bottom to take it. i have fished in ten foot deep pools with the float set at four ft and caught fish so experiment.i think that if they want it they wiil come quite away for it. dont use to big a float i find a small slider like a drennan no 1 piker ideal use a trace about 12 to 15 ins between treble and a swivel. above the swivel slide a half oz round ledger weight then your float and use a stop knot to set the depth of float now use a small shot to lock the weight next to swivel as often you will get lift bites when a salmon takes the shrimp as it comes from below. strike at once if float goes under or lifts. some people hit every small bob of the float but i like to see a proper take. but dont take to long.best time is after a flood when river has cleared and dropped back to normal height when there are fresh fish in the pools.chub are only other fish i have taken on shrimp. dont be greedy this method is deadly on its day i only take one fish a day now as my club has a 5 salmon a season limit now.but as all salmon i have caught on shrimp have been hooked in the mouth on strong tackle its good for catch and release. and its a nice way to fish on a hot summers day it would be a shame to see it banned good luck.

I

Ian Whittaker

99% agree with that.I use barrel weights locked to the trace swivel with silicon.My aim is to catch on those nice summer days!All but one of my salmon have been caught after september 1st! Except for my only fly caught one which literally swallowed the fly!ALL shrimp/worm/spinner caught fish I have taken have been returnable.

K

Keith Hacking

Hi ian. I wasnt getting at you over catch and release. I was just pointing out to the ban the shrimp brigade.That I have never had salmon swallow a shrimp yet as they are usually nicely hooked in mouth My best month is august as a rule but it depends when the fish run your river. All the best Keith