Which Fly Line, leaders etc!!

William Burns

Reaction score
Your absolutely right Beermonster,on this site has been invaluable.Adrian's a star.

I was planning to go to the "Go Fishing Show" but unexpected bills means I'm unable to as it was ment to be a birthday treat on the 16th & I was meating Wendy & a few other Fishingmagic members there,never mind I'll go next year.

I've talked to my mate who owns a tackle shop Adrian & I can get the Snowbee Prestige XS for ?30 & the Leaders for ?9 for 2.BARGAIN!

What Fly reel would you recommend-BUDGET WISE,as with my disability I am a left hander?

Will

William Burns

Reaction score
Hi Beermonster,

By the way outstandingly nice 6lb 7oz rainbow you caught.

I went to Chirk Fishery as I was let down by a mate & the fact it is closed as you mentioned & open on weekends.

I?m planning to go to the Tree Tops at the end of April & was hopeful if we could arrange to meet there on suchlike date suits you as I am particularly nervous when it comes to new fishery?s & you have fished there before.

So many people have let me down that it?s difficult for me to travel with not driving & living in Wrexham but I can arrange someone. Only just starting fly fishing the Tree tops looks unquestionably incredible, on viewing the web site I find it irresistible to fish there.

either e-mail me or reply on this forum mate.....HAPPY FISHING.

William

S

Shrek

Being left handed isn't a problem as all reels can be set for left or right hand wind.

Price wise, you can get a Greys GRXi with 2 spare spools and a case for approx ?50, probably less if you shop around a bit.

Okuma, or Scierra, do very good reels between ?20 and ?30. I have one for salt water fly fishing and am very impressed with it.

William Burns

Reaction score
The reason for asking that question was I got a Shakespeare Onset Gold Fly Rod & a Masterline Shadow Fly Reel,seconhand for ?40.
The rod seems to be fine,although unsure it's for stillwater but all the same feels light which is helpful.
The reel I'm very unhappy with as the line seems to twist no matter how many times I set it right,the look; basically everything.

Will

S

Shrek

Sounds more like it's a problem with the line itself than the reel there William. Do you know what line you have at the moment?

William Burns

Reaction score
Unsure what line it is as it came with the reel seems very light while casting.
Pretty sure it feels like WF 5/6 when it should be a WF 7/9 to match the rod. It also feels hard to do longer casts as the light weight of the line struggles with the rod.

Will

S

Shrek

My guess is that if the line is twisting and has a fair bit of memory to it, then it's an Airflo floating line. They are renowned for this and you're best to get shot of it as soon as you can.

Like you say, if it's also the wrong weight then you're going to struggle even more.

Let us know how you get on once you've got the Snowbee line, or whichever you end up going for.

William Burns

Reaction score
As Beermonster said "your the man" lol

I can promise you in April the Snowbee line is on my shopping list with a new reel & the leaders,as the rod goes I am qiute happy with it.

I'm shocked on the Airflo line though,I was going to go for there lines.Just proves ask before you buy so cheers for that Adrian.I owe you a pint or two.

Will

S

Shrek

Airflo do make good lines, but they tend to be their range of sinking lines, in fact competition anglers swear by them. Their only problem lies with their floating lines, no matter how hard they try. Their new ridge line made some headway in improvement but still has some memory.

If your budget is a bit tight though, I would recommend a Shakespeare Worcestershire line. Shakespeare make their own lines at their factory in Redditch, and also make lines for other very well known brands that may sound like a combination of white stuff falling from the sky and a honey making insect.......!!! If you wanted, I could give you the contact details of a chap who sells them at a very good price indeed, ?12.50 inc P&P, and will be able to do whatever weight and type of line you require.

Drop me an email if you're interested.

Adrian

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

Personally I don't mind a line that has a bit of memory. In fact a very good friend of mine who has been very successful at competitive fly fishing reckons that a few curves on the surface of the water helps make the fish hang onto the fly for that little bit longer.

If you are on a budget, don't forget the Mill Ends from Mullarkies. These are as cheap as chips and if you order 10 of them for about ?3 each you are sure to get a few that are very passable indeed. They are also useful for making up shooting heads.

Most of the Mill Ends come from Shakespeare.

The best floating forward taper fly line I have ever used has been the Arrowheads. They are not cheap but even at my decrepit age I can shoot the whole of the forward taper plus several yards of backing with two false casts!

William Burns

Reaction score
The Ridge line I was interested in.I feel they shouldn't market products unless they are 100% on what they say they are.

I honestly can't fault Shakespeare as I have a Carp(although waiting to get the TFG Intruder rod),2 match & the fly rod,also a Powerplay reel which I've had for 4yrs & it still works/looks brand new.I do clean them regular.Going to get a new reel for Carp/Pike fishing when I can too as the Power play is only designed for smaller species not specimens but fly fishing is a must at the moment as I'm still a novice.

As the Fly reel go's it is a bit highly priced so I'm looking at getting a Shakespeare which has the same kind of design as the one you mentioned for around ?20+.

Will

William Burns

Reaction score
I have a mate who sells mostly Shakespeare Ron & I find them a good company but I shall ask about the mill ends.

Cheers

Beermonster

Reaction score
Hi Will. Difficult to arrange fishing dates as basically on call with work 24/7 and never know usually until the day before if i'm free the following day.
What I would say is get yourself to Tree Tops. Its a beautifully scenic place to fish and the owners and everyone i've met there have been really friendly and helpful.
Don't worry about having all the right gear and knowing everything about fly fishing. That will come with time and experience. The most important thing I can say is to just get out there and enjoy it. Best of luck. Ian

William Burns

Reaction score
Cheers Ian,may catch you up there one day,weather is so bad here with the snow,all the best mate.

I used to hold 3 jobs down untill I collapsed then my injury to my shoulder.

Looking to buy some CDC's as they work well in Chirk Lakes so for when I go again; what types whould you recommend guys.

HAPPY FISHING!!!

Will