Fly tying kit

dezza

Reaction score
I would recommend the Veniard's Premium Kit, which has plenty of up to date materials to get you started. This kit does not have any tools, which are more of a personal choice.

The Veniards Kit will cost you about £45.00, the tools, another £40.00 or thereabouts.

Wobbly Face (As Per Ed)

Reaction score
The trouble with tying kits is they put in materials that you may never use. Plus the materials can be low quality.
Best to decide which flies you use most, find their pattern/materials and buy just those materials. Buy basic tools, no fancy stuff.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Hard to tell.The vice looks OK though most of the tools I doubt you'd ever use.Its like most things its getting the balance right between gear that's half decent enough for you to find out whether or not its your thing and paying too much. One thing I would say....far better to fork out on a couple of pairs of decent scissors than a big range of pretty basic quality tools or materials that you'll hardly ever use. The kit looks attractive but those are very ordinary tools. If you take to this those will very soon be consigned to the bin never to be used again.

Dont underestimate the cost of materials either...thread,hooks,tinsels, wire, fur,feathers etc. It soons mounts up if you're starting from scratch and there will be blunders along the way.I've bags & bags of material I bought in my wide eyed innocence and have never ever used.

Last edited:

Wobbly Face (As Per Ed)

Reaction score
Looks okay M'Lud. Probably made in India about right price wise.
You have the vice with 2 sets of jaws (don't now how long they'll last), bobbin holder, bobbin threader, 2 sizes of hackle pliers, tweezers (not necessary), dubbin twister (not necessary), cheep scizzors which I would use for cutting wire/tinsel, hair stacker (not necessary but useful). Just need decent scizzors for cutting thread and feathers.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
The vice jaws will last long enough to find out if fly tying is your thing.I started with a Weaver vice not dissimilar to this one and it did very good service. I can thoroughly recommend Dr Slick scissors but NOT for cutting wire.Far too good for that.

Fly tying can become quite an obsession but I found it immensely satisfying. I dont do as much as I used to mainly because during my obsessive period I tied enough to last me several lifetimes. All I really tie now are sea trout patterns which is just as well because my eyesight is not what it was.

Start simple,stick to the basic techniques [& patterns] until you're good at those. and you might find that's as far as you need to go...and use about half as much material as you think you need...it will still be too much at first !

Rasmus Keis

Reaction score
Great vise - most Regal copies are. Guess I have tied about 2000 flies on my own (Regent), and it still works great. Hope the plate is heavy! Some cheap vises aren't heavy enough.

I'm a little concerned about the bobbin quality. The other tools are ok, I myself would never be without a dubbing twister, but it depends on the type of flies youre gonna tie. I dont understand the need for 2 hackle pliers - never used them. Would happily trade the hackle pliers + threader + half hitch tools + tweezer for 1 or 2 good bobbins.

Good value for money!

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Dont, buy kits, you will never use some of the stuff in them, and the vice and tools will usually be rubbish!
start by buying the best vice you can afford and then the best scissors you can afford, these are the most important pieces of equipment you will need and they will pay for themselves in the long term. After you have those just start adding to your kit bit by bit. I would buy a bobbin holder and hackle pliers to start and then just add a few materials as you go.

Order the free sportfish catalogue from their website, they sell some really nice gear!!!

mark

mark knowles

Reaction score
Why don't you go to Fly Only. Its not far from you near Emley Moor TV mast. Stewart Hooley knows his stuff and he carries a lot of gear. I've managed for years with fairly cheap vices, just aquired a rotary one, that has been useful. a couple of home made dubbing needles and a boobin holder. Do spend the money on the scissors though. I wouldn,t buy your tying materials from a kit, get quality materials from a reputable supplier, a lot of the fur and feathers you really want to inspect before you buy. Fly tying is a means of getting exactly the flies you want it certainly isn,t the cheap option.

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
As Mark above says, tying you own flies is not cheap but it is a very absorbing hobby...if you have the time...lol!

mark

mark knowles

Reaction score
As I said you get exactly the fly you want tied on your hook of choice but also it satisfies a creative side to me. I also get a buzz from catching a fish on something I made. You will find you go from having doubts about a fish taking something you tied to having little faith in shop bought flies and from slavishly copying patterns to making your own variations or inventing your own flies.

ronroach

Reaction score
Dont, buy kits, you will never use some of the stuff in them, and the vice and tools will usually be rubbish!
start by buying the best vice you can afford and then the best scissors you can afford, these are the most important pieces of equipment you will need and they will pay for themselves in the long term. After you have those just start adding to your kit bit by bit. I would buy a bobbin holder and hackle pliers to start and then just add a few materials as you go.

Order the free sportfish catalogue from their website, they sell some really nice gear!!!

mark

Sound advice. That is definately the way to go.

Ron.