Favourite flies?

Ric Elwin

Reaction score
Both my choices are home made.

On the point I'd have a goldhead nymph. This would be dubbed with a mixture of hares ear and squirrel. I usually add a short tag, most often of red wool. This fly has a 'buggy' body, representative of many creatures living in the river. It also acts as a lure, with the flash of the gold bead, and the red target at the back.

On the dropper I'll go for a simple black spider. Black thread body ribbed with fine silver wire. The black hen hackle is very sparse.

Fished downstream and across, the spider tends to fish just under the surface, and picks up fish feeding in that area. Grayling in particular really hammer this fly.

The goldhead gets deeper, and picks up some nice Trout.

What's your favourite combo?

shootinfishin

Reaction score
Booby and either an epoxy buzzer with orange cheeks or a bloodworm type pattern.

Diawl bachs too!

Fred Blake

Reaction score
I thought the question was flies for river trout? I'd go for partridge and orange as a general upstream wet/spent pattern, and the ubiquitous pheasant-tail nymph for deeper fish.

Geof

Reaction score
What size the goldhead Ric?Having a quiet spell so being nosey...Ta.

The Bone Collector

Reaction score
Same as you Ric except the Goldhead, I prefer a dark green tag though, the hairyeur the better. Sub surface spiders cannot beat them on the top dropper.

Bibio's also work as well and not just for stillwaters.

Wendy Perry 2

Reaction score
All these flies confuse me, i've got loads of them but haven't a clue what they are called. Alot of them look like earings to me :)

J

john conway

>Alot of them look like earings to me <
Very painful earings though Weny

Snipe and purple on the dropper and pheasant tail nymph on the point however, of late on the point I've picked up some nice trout with a partridge and orange tied with a gold rib, the gold rib also helps it to sink and or fish deeper than the dropper. I fish this pattern both up stream and down, depending on the swim.
I'm now tying my own flies again but the idea of fishing the partridge and orange with a rib was advice given to me by an angler who had fish the Ure for grayling.

Does anyone dub the bodies of their spiders? I'm just reading again an old book on wet fly fishing and the writer is very much into the translucency effect that a very light dubbing has on the body, especially when the trout see the fly against the lightness of the surface.

J

john conway

Sorry about the Weny Wendy! Trying to type too fast. Funny how you always spot it after you've hit the return key!

Wendy Perry 2

Reaction score
haha, i don't mind being Weny, jhn haha.

I think i should get myself a fly book, today John i was just picking flies because they were nice! I still caught on them though! But i wish i knew the names of them.

G

Ged

Standard Gold Ribbed hare's ear, weighted for depth. Greenweel's Glory, in all forms, dry, wet and spider.
Wendy, don't bother with names, if they look nice and catch fish, then that is all that matters. you could always make up your own names for them.

Wendy Perry 2

Reaction score
I never thought of that Ged, but when i'm writing my article for next months magazine, people may be going into tackle shops asking for the purple shell fly haha.
Or the batman fly haha.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

If you are fishing wet flies on rain fed rivers, you generally cant beat the traditional patterns like some of the Yorkshire Spiders using soft hen hackles. A snipe body is also good for soft hackles.

Me old mate Tag Barnes used to swear by a fly called a "Treacle Parkin"

Snipe and purple, Snipe and orange are also good grayling patterns.

Czech nymphs pattern, March Brown and feather fibre nymphs work well too.

T

The Monk

So was I Shooty, I love nymph fishing, especially wet ones that go down on you!

david3092

Reaction score
can anyone tell me how to make up leaders for more than one fly 3 at the most ta david

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

Take no notice of The Monk, he has a one track mind!